The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2YO Summary thread 2016

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks 2YO Summary thread 2016

Viewing 17 posts - 494 through 510 (of 784 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Nice winner there Steve, good call.

Another nail in the coffin for those who like to bet at short prices in two year old races.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

Well done there Steve C, good call.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Great winner Steve. Yeeee Haaaa

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

I have opposed Douglas MacArthur with a fun punt on Landfall at 20/1.

2/5 Fav made no appeal and Landfall has a decent line of form having beaten subsequent 5 length winner Exemplar on his last start.

Douglas MacArthur cost a fortune and may be better suited by the mile trip today but based on Examplar’s new rating, there isn’t a fag paper between them on adjusted ratings and Landfall has only had the one start.

Probably blowing against the wind but 20/1 seemed huge at this stage of their careers compared to 2/5.

4.00 Leop Landfall for the crack at 20/1.

Doing what you’re best at Steve.
    Well done. :good:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

I must admit I was tempted to take on this Douglas horse but wasn’t sure which one to take it on with. Thought Landfall was impressive on debut but to be honest was probably put off by the price on this Douglas horse, when it’s 2-5 you think they will definitely win and backing anything else is throwing money away

looking at the big two year olds races tommorow, interesting that Moore is going for Promise to be true, I thought visually that was the most impressive of the O’Brien’s last time out, I think it will win but would you want to take evs?
    Tempted to take a crazy flyer on the Bolger horse. Anyone know if a horse has ever won a group one first time out? :wacko:

I think Churchill will definitely win, not a race to get excited about given the dire turnout. It’s strongest rival probably won’t stay the trip as well as Churchill.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Well done Steve more like that please..great shout at 20/1.. :good: :good: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7848

Well done Steve

Any views on filles maiden yesterday winner from Watchman who off to AOB now she is

Derby betting in mess now after fav turned over to i hope CAPRI go for Beresford stakes

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Thanks to all.

Douglas MacArthur was pushed out to 33/1 after yesterdays race and clearly has plenty to prove now.

I am on Promise To Be True at 13/8 and Mehmas at 5/2 taking on Churchill. Hannon’s colt has paid his way an owes me nothing. Churchill could be anything and it’s 7F today but Mehmas has the stronger form at this stage and I don’t back at odds on.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

25/1 sensation in the Moyglare
    Intricately beats Hydrangea and Rhododendron.
    An O’Brien 1,2,3 but not the way you thought it would be. :wacko:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Penny now beginning to drop with Churchill. Impressive. If he continues his progress, he could win the Guineas and other top class races.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Agree with the above. Clearly Churchill going to be very hard to beat over a mile on a galloping track. Which makes him a very obvious pick for the guineas. Will take a very good one to beat him, just like his namesake!

The Dewhurst (assuming he goes there) will be a stronger test, but if they go a decent gallop he could well just out battle them like he did today.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Great work yesterday Steve!

Re Churchill. I agree he is tough nut. I thought he might get beat today but he was far too good for these. BUT – I would argue that he beat a non-stayer in Mehmas and a Group 3 horse in Lockheed. Mehmas will never run over 7f again will he? Don’t get me wrong – I still think Churchill put up a good performance and is clearly going to be running in the classics next year but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he turns out to be better over further than a mile. I still think the Guineas market has a strange look to it as it is full of horses with good form over 6f few of whom (if any) are likely to stay a mile. Where are the proper milers? I think Churchill would be vulnerable to one.

I am on Seven Heavens as I think he has the potential to be very good if learning to settle and is certainly going to be at his best over a mile. Unfortunately, after his last run, it is a big “if”!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Delighted with Churchill there.
    I was impressed with him in the mid part of the race to keep pace with Mehmas was very good. I expected him to keep on stronger than the Hannon horse but thought Mehmas was going to open up a couple of lengths lead.
    Will Churchill go dEWhurst next…..?

Blackbeard to conquer the World

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

25/1 sensation in the Moyglare
    Intricately beats Hydrangea and Rhododendron.
    An O’Brien 1,2,3 but not the way you thought it would be. :wacko:

Rhododendron shaped like she was all about stamina at Goodwood but subsequently she has given totally the opposite impression in coming to win her race and then finding very little. Promise To Be True ran no race at all and it wouldn’t surprise me if both fillies have problems that will never be disclosed. You wouldn’t be thinking of backing either on today’s evidence.

Mehmas looked to be travelling better than Churchill but just capitulated. Once that happened the race didn’t take that much winning.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

I understand that Churchill might not be everyone’s cup of tea but he very much reminds me of Teofilo who was also a real battler and also put up his most impressive display in the National stakes.

I’d rather have a Churchill on my side than some bridle ponce who finds nothing off the bridle.

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

The gale force wind had a big impact on the running of immature inexperienced fillies in the Moyglare, and also advantaged front runners, very difficult to make up ground against it. Even Joseph admitted, when interviewed, that his filly had lots of experience and was best able to handle the wind (also trained on the side of a windswept hill!). Great for Joseph and Donncha to win a G1 but I’d wipe the slate clean with a view to future races for the fillies involved.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

The gale force wind had a big impact on the running of immature inexperienced fillies in the Moyglare, and also advantaged front runners, very difficult to make up ground against it.

I’ve been looking at the races on the Internet today. That explains a lot of the results Sunspangled.
    Cheers. :good:

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 494 through 510 (of 784 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.