The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2m4f Novice Hurdle @ Aintree

Home Forums Horse Racing 2m4f Novice Hurdle @ Aintree

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

Only got Paddy Power odds at the moment but Franchoek 7/4 and Group Captain 4/1. Franchoek stepping up in distance for the 1st time around a track which probably suits speed horses rather than stayers. Plus he looked like a hard season might have caught up with him at Cheltenham. Very short price IMO and has to be taken on.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

Agreed. Franchoek is a big lay for me. He’s only running over 2m4f because King is ducking Celestial Halo and Binocular: which is obviously a negative motive.

He’s exposed (for a novice) and is not going to improve this season for going up in trip after seven races; and he’s taking on older horses for the first time (with a Group 1-penalty which means that he’s on level weights with most of them).

I thought he would have been 3/1+.

aphardy
    • Total Posts 190

I’ve been hugely taken by Whiteoak in her runs and was kicking myself for not backing her at Cheltenham. She beat some pretty decent sorts there, and her second to Tazbar over a trip that might have been too short for both of them was a cracking effort, and shows that she possibly won’t be done for speed round here.. Back in novice company today, I could see her winning this, with Group Captain being the danger (although he too had a hard race at Chelters)

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Mr King always said that the Triumph Hurdle would be the last time Franchoek would run over a 2-mile trip, not because he is ‘ducking’ Celestial Halo and Binocular.

He said that prior to the race.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

I backed Whiteoak at something like 50/1 for the bumper at Aintree last year but she ran absolute shocker so unless it was just a problem with the size of the field I would be a little wary. I think the step up in trip has always looked what Franchoek needs and he remains the one to beat.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’ve got to agree with Gaz regarding Franchoek. His flat form and the fact he’s been more effective over stiffer tracks thus far tells you he’ll prove to be better over further than the minimum in time, and Alan King has recognised this. He’s been moved to this race over Binocular as a result, so not really ducking him per sé.

He’s still a lay at 3.25 though IMO. Not sure he’s up to the quality of Elusive Dream for one, nor will he be as fresh.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I didn’t like the way Group Captain went at Cheltenham- he didn’t look in love with the game to me. Whiteoak must have a big chance, with Lightning Strike not a forlorn hope either…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.