The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Scottish National 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Scottish National 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Looks like The Last Samurai may be going for the 1.25 at Ayr on Saturday. Wilson Renwick up according to racecard in the Racing Post.

• Total Posts 15020

Thanks G, appreciate that

Hope the weather’s picked up in Dunoon. Not sure what it’s like down in Ayrshire now, as back to Lanarkshire last night, though it was chucking it down when I left.

Best of luck with Lie Forrit on Saturday, he’d be a very popular winner.

• Total Posts 15020

Steve, If you bump into a Guinea Pig called Sam in the next couple of days, then it’ll have to be a full bank job ;-)

• Total Posts 15020

Appreciate that SYT, cheers.

Good luck with Samstown, some effort to win at Haydock, so he’ll not be going down without a fight.

I’m considering going on Friday, I’ll have a look at the the decs on Thursday. I went to the Scottish National for years, but the year Grey Abbey won, it was torrential, and everybody was crammed in together in the stand, it kind of put me off. It’s very busy, and I haven’t been for The Scottish National since the redevelopment. That bit under the stand, I bet it’ll be like a zoo on Saturday, with some proper sights……..on second thoughts, I think Ill just go.

I’ve looked at both The Friday, and Saturday cards, and I’m hoping for a few to drop out as, genuinely, there’s about 3 in each race on Saturday (not counting the big one), that I like the look of. Not much better on the Friday either, though at first glance, De Boitron, Brave Spartacus, and Fascino Rustico stand out, though I’ll have a proper look Thursday night.

In The Scottish Champion Hurdle I like 2 at the moment. Really like Pearl Castle at 16’s, & Cinders and Ashes at 20’s they’d be my main fancies ahead of I Shot The Sheriff, and Cheltenian (if he goes)

Best of luck SYT

Participant
    • Total Posts 6306

I am hoping a few come out because I fancy Carrigdoun and it needs a few to come out !! Maurice Barnes does good at Ayr and I hope this gets in even if it is four pounds out of the handicap.
    The other one I was interested in was Harry The Viking but I see he has gone up THIRTEEN pounds for not winning his last three races!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Cheers VTC

It’s my annual pilgrimage and I don’t mind the crowds. What I don’t appreciate is racegoers who bring their drinks out onto the viewing areas and spill them all over the place and think its ok. I don’t mind the bit under the stand as it used to be a big bare windy concourse. At least its now enclosed and a punters can have a refreshment and watch racing on the TV’s in warm surroundings. I get your point about some of the sights and that brings an old saying to mind “the things you see when you don’t have a gun” :-). However, as the weather is set to be good there may just be some bonnie lassies to offset the sights previously mentioned!

Enjoy Friday if you make it and be lucky VTC

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Benvolio out, reason given due to the drying ground. Going now good / good to soft in places. Weather holding fine and Clerk of the course considering watering.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13243

I’m surprised that Benvolio is the only defector from the race, I would have thought that Goonyella would follow him as he is a horse that seems very dependent on heavy, or soft ground at best. I know to an extent I’m talking out of my pocket, having backed him for the Irish National, but I think Jim Dreaper missed the boat when he didn’t let him take his chance there, when conditions would have suited him perfectly, in the off chance of him getting into The National, which I thought at the time was unlikely. If he is pulled out now, it would be a bit sickening for connections of Carrigdhoun as the deadline passed this morning for reserves. If Goonyella takes his place, and I can only imagine Jim Dreaper would run him as his options for marathons has run out, I doubt 3m 5f on probable good ground in the 365 Gold Cup at Sandown would suit, then I wouldn’t fancy his chances at all. I can’t recall if anyone had put him up on this thread, other than me saying I would have a stab if it came up a bog, but apologies to them if it seems I’m taking any chance he has away before the tapes have gone up :negative:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6306

Good job I was on Carrigdhoun NRNB !! It is a shame he didn’t get in as I thought he would run well at a price.
    And have to agree with Big G re Goonyella he was one of the ones I assumed would come out because of the ground and Raz de Maree too!!

But anyway I think Man with Van and Drop Out Joe could both run well at a working mans price but of the favourites I think Sego Success will go close.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Backed Lie Forrit, Benbens, Indian Castle and Summery Justice. Really open race and I think anything could win but was impressed with Indian Castles run at Cheltenham. Mind you, after seeing Puffin Billy win I almost caved in and backed Global Power who I was going to follow all season but stopped just before he decided to start winning. But I left the bookies head held high having just stuck to those four [#whatwillpower….]

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I missed the start of the race but assume Sam didn’t get very far.

The best wishes go to anyone who had the old cuddy Wayward Prince who returned to something like form a couple of runs back.

I’m not a big follower of Hilary Parrott but nice to see a small stable win one.

I can see the headlines already:-

“Prince Not So Wayward, Slick As A Parrott!”

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve backed him and he’s done nothing; we often see him at Wetherby.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’ve made 31 pence profit [which is a good result after last weeks National!]

Participant
    • Total Posts 13243

Ha Ha….nice one Steve. Agreed, it is nice to see a small yard win a race like this, well done to all there.

I’m not sure what happened to Lie Forrit, but he didn’t ever look to be going that well, perhaps it was just a bit to firm for him, or perhaps just not his day.

I very nearly got egg on my face with Goonyella. I went from putting him up earlier in the thread, as long as the ground was heavy or soft, to saying I thought he had no chance when the ground was going to be no worse than good. I could hardly watch the winner for trying to use my jedi powers to hold back his thundering run right at the end. I lost my cash when he didn’t run in the Irish version, and it would have felt like adding insult to injury, having not put a penny on him here after talking myself out of backing him on ground preference.

Looks like being a whitewash betting weekend for me, unless Messrs Speith or Kuchar come to my rescue and win the RBC Heritage tomorrow. Still in it at this point but if my present luck, or rather lack of judgement, holds up, then I won’t hold my breath :scratch:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

You can have my 31 pence if it makes you feel better Steve…

Participant
    • Total Posts 13243

I’ve made 31 pence profit [which is a good result after last weeks National!]

I can assure you Mo, you’re still miles ahead of me with your 31p profit. Well done you :good:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Sorry Big G I thought you were Steve [too busy celebrating my win to concentrate properly….]…

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.