The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 166 total)
  • Author
    TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Saturday we put several things to the test. The theory of Vautour being better going left handed, here’s an early look. I was also certain Ptit Zig would have won the Paddy Power off 159. If I’m right on both counts, despite the 5lb pull, I’m happy to take Vautour on.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

I think the biggest deciding factor for the King George on Saturday could be whether Coneygree gets his gallop in ahead of the Hennessy! Sara Bradstock saying today if he misses his Saturday gallop he won’t run in the Hennessy….that will surely then make their minds up to supplement for the King George….this really could end up being a blessing in disguise for me and my KG antepost money as I would strongly fancy him again having not the tough weight carrying performance to back up 3-4 weeks after….even though I think he could do it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I’m very encouraged that Mullins has Vautour sufficiently far forward to enter him at Ascot, and have just topped up on the 14s the great horse to do the KG/GC double

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

I would have had the same confidence re Vatour but after the bullish comments about Faugheen being further forward this year for his first run than last and that subsequent reversal, I am a little less confident for Ascot.

Still think he is the most likely winner of the KG (even if Coneygree runs) but the GC trip is a big doubt for me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

I might have more confidence over Vautour if I’d seen him run over 3 miles run at a decent gallop and a proper test on testing ground.

I think it’s safe to say Coneygree will run to 175+ in the King George on all known form and everything we know of him…..One of the big question marks was would the tough way he won the Gold Cup have left a mark. Judging by his re-appearance at Sandown it clearly hasn’t and he’s as good as ever, surely with improvement still to come…

If Coneygree had been wearing pink colours at Sandown and trained by Willie Mullins and ridden by Ruby Walsh heaven knows what people would have made of it….I keep seeing people say wait until he meets the speed horses on flatter tracks….well I don’t think he’s no slouch…between 5 out and 3 out at Sandown he breezed 15 lengths clear in no time at all on the bridle…

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

Vautour was electric at Cheltenham, the way he pinged the last + scampered up the hill suggested 3 miles will be no problem. I am reserving judgement till I see how last years novice form measures up; so far (I think) we only have Southfield Theatre’s (2nd in 3-mile novice at C’ham) poor run vs Coneygree

wasps41
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1161

Re Vatour I’m in the camp of ‘not sure he will stay’. If he does he wins this though. Edging towards Conti e/w.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Struggling to see what Betvictor have just seen to shorten Vautour to 7/4 for this having just struggled to beat Ptit Zig in receipt of 5lbs…

Never looked happy going right handed to me and looked tired late on…just watching Ruby now he’s certainly not beaming like he was after Cheltenham…

If Coneygree does make this and is pouring it on in front like he does I just cannot see Vautour getting anywhere near..

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

Vautour, Coneygree, Don Cossack and now Cue Card. If they all turn up well who cares about Christmas, roll on Boxing Day!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

Struggling to see what Betvictor have just seen to shorten Vautour to 7/4 for this having just struggled to beat Ptit Zig in receipt of 5lbs…

Never looked happy going right handed to me and looked tired late on…just watching Ruby now he’s certainly not beaming like he was after Cheltenham…

If Coneygree does make this and is pouring it on in front like he does I just cannot see Vautour getting anywhere near..

That is ridiculous to be fair.

I’d be surprised if Mullins runs him at Kempton.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

He’ll run at Kempton and, had it not been for CC’s mighty rout today, I’d have predicted confidently, he’ll win.

Big overreaction the other way, I thought, with PP pushing him out to 3s for the KG and a ridiculous 6s for the GC.

Nicholls said this morning he’d never had PZ better and even made him his charity bet ahead of Silv Conti “this is his Gold Cup”

Vautour was not nearly as impressive as in the JLT, but how could he be on his seasonal debut? (Ricci said later he was ‘half fit’ which is overdoing it, but Ruby said he will come on a lot). One thing that did not come into question, to my eye, was his stamina, staying on really well in that ground. And bear in mind, the 3rd, a 160-rated horse who was hard fit, and from a yard in form was 30 lengths back.

I think he’ll win the KG, but am as confident as I could be that he will win the Gold Cup. Mullins is matchless at turning a horse out at the very top of his form in March, as Vautour showed so brilliantly in the JLT

wasps41
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1161

Glad I refrained from backing Sil V for this. After today taken the 5s on CC. Roll on Boxing Day

Participant
    • Total Posts 295

I cannot see Vautaur even running in the Gold Cup, Mullins has 2 others for that. I hope he does run as that will make the most likely winner Coneygree a better price. Would be nailed on for the Ryanair and that’s the race he will most likely run in. For the KG a slog in the mud is not his ideal race, after todays performance he may not even run.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

All the post race talk Sea Pigeon, was that Vautour goes to Kempton and that will shape the rest of his season. Owner saying he was only 50% fit today. I find that quite disturbing really that a trainer supposedly as good as Willie Mullins is prepared to send ‘potentially’ one of the best chasers he’s ever had to the racecourse only 50% fit…what if he had fallen and done himself injury due to his lack of fitness?

I’ve had a half decent day today so have had to chuck another 40 quid at Coneygree with Paddy’s 4/1 ‘with a run’ bet….unreal really after Vautour’s showing today that he’s half that price of a Gold Cup winner who has been faultless so far over fences….and even more bizarre that Cue Card is also shorter having failed three times to win a King George….

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

I think the plan will be as last year as it seemed to work. Mullins said he was really tough on him in the weeks running up to the CF. Whether that means he won’t be fully on the boil for the KG I don’t know but there is a nagging doubt there and along with the poor performance he put in last Christmas I do think the 3/1 a bit short. But I’m sure all roads lead to the GC as he seems to love Cheltenham.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 166 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.