The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 321 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Had tiny ew on him at 50’s a few weeks ago. Looking at his form again [staying on strongly in his races] I’m going to have a proper bet on him [ie more than 50p ew :shock: ].And going to add Duke of Lucca to my ever growing long/short list.

• Total Posts 15019

I haven’t had a penny on one of my long term fancies Night In Milan, so thought I’d better take the 50’s just now, in case of a good run in The Grimthorpe.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

The Channel 4 boys gave the predictable verdict that Night In Milan hadn’t done his Grand National chances any harm but I don’t share their optimism.

There were plenty of jumping errors to be seen today and I have the feeling the form may be more Grim, than Thorpe, long term.

Streams Of Whiskey went wrong and with a rank outsider coming home with ease it all looks a bit ropey to me. Theatre Queen’s finishing position after losing so much ground at the start, and then nearly uprooting one of the fences, casts doubt over the form for me.

I saw little that suggests the Grand National trip and meeting higher class horses than today is going to help Night In Milan to get competitive at Aintree and it’s my belief I have done my dough on him. He’s a big outsider that looks about the right price at 50/1 now, whereas I was hoping he was actually going to be a genuine 25/1 shot who was value at the higher price.

I have moved my ticket two places closer to the bin since the race.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Not sure about that. Wayward Prince can be a very very good horse when he’s got the right head screwed on.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Certainly wouldn’t give up yet on NIM. The winner, on anything even resembling his best form, was a handicap cert: it’s just that few, if any knew he’d choose today to bounce back.

NIM gets a bit low at his fences, but that’s unlikely to be a drawback now at Aintree

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

…..I should also have added ‘and when I haven’t backed him’ [the little monkey…]

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

It’s not just about Wayward Prince bouncing back, which I am highly sceptical about at his age.

If we look at Theatre Queen the race report says:-

“led into start, reluctant to race and lost about 30 lengths, about 5 lengths off group from 5th, blundered 12th, faltered against rails before 4 out, stayed on, went 4th last, never any hope”

For Night In Milan to only finish 7 lengths ahead of a horse who suffered so much attrition in a race, points to me that he’s not going to be involved in the business end of a Grand National. It didn’t even look to me that he’d be suited by the extra distance at Aintree and there was little encouragement that he’s come forward enough, in a race he won last year, from his previous run, with his handicap mark for The National no longer a reason to hide his full light from the assessor.

I am no longer In’ter Milan

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1709

Okay, i think i might have my shortlist complete!

Balthazar King
    Duke Of Lucca
    Monbeg Dude
    Roi Du Mee
    Soll

My intention is to stick to these 5 if i can! Also depending on whether or not Any Currency gets in, though being at around the 80 mark on the list; i shan’t be holding my breath!

• Total Posts 15019

I wouldn’t give up around the 80 mark Peter, I normally guess at around the 77 to 82 mark. There’s 4 out already from the original 98.

Although, I’ve got a right few bet, I’m still hopeful of trading out. My main fancies as of today are……..

Cause of Causes
    Alderwood
    Night In Milan

nicks1976
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

I have backed Balthazar King for this. He is my favourite horse in training and has won me a lot of money over the past few seasons. He was 2nd last year and has only been raised 3 lbs and hopefully this time will get his preferred better ground. Connections have decided to bypass the Cheltenham Festival to concentrate on this race so must have a great chance of going one better this year.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

I was on Wayward Prince at 40/1 doubled up ew with the other Hilary Parrott horse at 80’s pity about the non runner giving me a massive deduction and the fact it was 20p stakes LOL
    I wouldn’t be too downcast about Night in Milan ,how many times in the past have we seen a horse run indifferently and then perform differently at Aintree ,the fences i reckon will bring out the best in the horse that and better ground.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Night In Milan is a bold enough jumper, but has not been able to win at his beloved Donny in last three starts and seems to be better there than anywhere else. Does not bode well for his chances at Aintree off the same mark. Is an ethusiastic sort too, so whether he’ll stay the extra distance has to be a concern.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Although, I’ve got a right few bet, I’m still hopeful of trading out. My main fancies as of today are……..

Cause of Causes
    Alderwood

Alderwood! :scratch:
    Why VTC? :unsure:

Value Is Everything
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Roi du Mee skips Cheltenham but will have another race in Ireland prior to Aintree. Still hoping it’s the National he’s being aimed at. Getting worried that I haven’t backed Soll for a place. I did back him when he ran before which is what put me off this time.

• Total Posts 15019

Just off the back of his run in The Kerry National GT, and he went in the notebook that day with a race like this in mind. I thought he looked as if he wasn’t stopping at the end, and despite being obviously known more as a 2, 2 and a half miler, with the trip not phasing him that day, I’m happy to take a chance.

It’s obviously not going to be a vintage renewal, it’s the poorest entry in years, and he’s certainly a better horse than a lot of the entries.

They’ve been messing about with him this year, but as a result he’s came down a few pounds……..though I’m sure it’s with other prizes in mind, rather than Aintree, and I could fancy him just as much for The Grand Annual, or The Coral Cup.

Probably convincing myself because of the prices I got, I have to recognise that.

• Total Posts 15019

Withdrawals at today’s Forfeit Stage

Rajdhani Express
    Back In Focus
    Poole Master
    My Murphy
    Sunnyhill Boy
    Burton Port
    Kruzhlinin
    Green Flag
    Loch Ba

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Damn; I’ve lost 40 pence on My Murphy at 50/1…..

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 321 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.