The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2013

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15020

Albertas definitely out, along with Frisco Depot.

Would have loved to see AR in it, but not to be. Final decision on his future still to be made.

With the next forfeit stage due tomorrow, be amazed to see Major Malarkey still in there, and The Package has drifted like the proverbial today. Hopefully, for his backers, it’ll just be a scare.

Of the ones I’ve backed, I’d be surprised to see Midnight Chase in there, along with a couple of others. Par for the course for me.

Odysseas the only non-qualifier, as previously stated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Sam Twiston Davies says Major Malarkey just had bruised heels, so nothing serious. Could still go…

Shame about Albertas Run. Would have been interesting.

These weights seem to be creeping up more and more. Roberto Goldback and Bostons Angel are my only definites.

• Total Posts 1217

Another one of my ante posts out! Can anyone find any better than 2/1 for an Irish winner? Think that will be my main bet, they had a terrific Cheltenham, and will be itching for some more winners at Aintree…

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

At present, I think Quiscover Fontaine is the cut-off point of horses practically guaranteed a run. It looks doubtful that Soll will make it, as he needs at least 15 to change their plans or be pulled out before April 6th.

It is unfortunate that Poker De Sivola is in a similar situation. I feel he would have a big chance on good ground.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

will update more when defctors are announced tomorrow, ive updated the weight with albertas run out, but expect them to rise further if imperial commander doesn;t recover from lkung infection in time to race

vf

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

Having backed Ballagriggs its a bit disappointing to hear Albertas run being scratched and another weight rise immenent. Credit to connections though, must have been tempting to leave him in and then get a magic vets certificate satdee morning. :D

• Total Posts 15020

I hope he will TYF, I added him today at 280’s, as going on previous years, 15 should comfortably come out before then……….the standard practice is for only horses I’ve backed to be pulled at this forfeit stage :(

Interesting shout on Poker De Sivola, he’s a horse I had considered, and I bet him in The Becher, and I thought he ran ok, certainly wouldn’t have put me off betting him for The National. I read somewhere that they were swerving the Cross Country at Cheltenham, and Aintree, for another crack at "The Whitbread"…….though that may have been based on the assumption that they’d have missed the cut for Aintree. I’ll try and dig it out and put up the link.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

Blimey some of you lot are doom mongers regarding what can’t get in ! Horses can drop like flies at this point onwards i wouldn’t mind betting that there will only be 55 left in tomorrow ,another ten will go before the 5 day at least .

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I hope he will TYF, I added him today at 280’s, as going on previous years, 15 should comfortably come out before then……….the standard practice is for only horses I’ve backed to be pulled at this forfeit stage :(

Interesting shout on Poker De Sivola, he’s a horse I had considered, and I bet him in The Becher, and I thought he ran ok, certainly wouldn’t have put me off betting him for The National. I read somewhere that they were swerving the Cross Country at Cheltenham, and Aintree, for another crack at "The Whitbread"…….though that may have been based on the assumption that they’d have missed the cut for Aintree. I’ll try and dig it out and put up the link.

Thanks VTC – that’ll be an interesting read. I was worried about Poker De Sivola’s jumping prior to the Becher, but I guess his clear round allayed those fears. David Johnson loves to have runners at Aintree, so perhaps the demise of Jessie’s Dream will make him more keen to send Poker De Sivola in this direction.

I’ will definitely add him to my main pick (Beshabar) if he gets in and they both get good ground.

• Total Posts 15020

I stand corrected TYF……Lifted from the Cross Country thread on BF, couldn’t find the whole feature, but Aintree looks a real possibility reading this.

"Poker De Sivola is very well and fresh. He finished sixth in the race a couple of years ago, but we were using that as a prep for something else to sweeten him up," he said.

"He ran an unbelievable race in the Becher, he was right in contention until he just got tired coming to the last and James (Reveley) said he jumped really well. We had been looking to the Grand National with him but the handicapper dropped him 3lb for that and he won’t get in this year, so this is the target.

"The plan is the cross-country race and then we’ll put him away for the year and work towards the Becher in November and then, hopefully, the National. He’s a classy horse, a Festival and Whitbread winner, with not much mileage on the clock."

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

:D Looks like Aintree is on the cards if he can get in then. Let’s see what drops out tomorrow.

• Total Posts 1217

Is the recent form of Ferdy Murphy a concern? Hasn’t had a decent winner for a fair while now…I’d personally go for the Bet365 with PDS, not sure he has enough to win a GN!

• Total Posts 15020

Withdrawals

Quito De La Roque
    Midnight Chase
    Alfie Sherrin
    Calgary Bay
    Planet of Sound
    Roi Du Mee
    Jessie’s Dream
    Matuhi
    The Package
    Tartak
    Albertas Run
    Odysseas
    Frisco Depot
    Problema Tic
    Summery Justice
    Katenko

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

It can normally be a risky business backing horses ante post, making assumptions about what the ground will be like but with the winter we’ve had and the weather forecast for at least the next 10 days containing plenty of rain I find it hard to envisage anything other than a soft ground national this year.

If that’s the case I’d want to be on a lower weighted horse who’ll appreciate, rather than be hindered by conditions.

So while he’s become something of a monkey, Chicago Grey could end up running from a nice weight of c. 10-6 on ground he’ll like.

I’m not a big fan of horses that are held up off the pace in this race – a risk his BD last year is proof of – but granted sufficient luck in running he could end up making his OR look silly given than he was sent off as short as 20/1 last year from a 9lb higher mark.

He has proven stamina as evidenced by his win in the festival 4 miler (beating Beshabar) back in 2011, has reportedly had a breathing operation this year, won LTO and could well end up having last years pilot Carberry on board again, a jockey whose style would be taylor made if that’s how the horse is elected to run.

I haven’t studied the race in too much detail yet and On His Own looks to have an obvious chance but many other fancied horses could end up with big weights in potentially atrocious conditions – akin to Red Marauder’s year.

At a glance though Chicago Grey stands out as a one time classy-ish horse with a recent glimmer of potential to return to those heights – if only for this one race. The sort of profile shared by many a winner of this race.

PDB could quite feasibly end up running with top weight.

Lee

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

Thanks for doing this Vf, saves me a lot of time.

• Total Posts 790

3 of my fancy’s pulled out today, Planet of Sound, The Package and Midnight Chase luckily didn’t have huge stakes on them.

Think I’ll wait until the day now, Think On His Own will take a lot of beating if staying on his feet.

A lot seem to be pulling out, could we have a field of less than 40?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Roberto Goldback running off 11-2 when the weights came out was a dream come true. Now looking like running with 11-7 (should Commander defect)… eeshk :?

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 371 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.