The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2012 Gold Cup

Home Forums Archive Topics 2012 Gold Cup

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 499 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Grand Crus going for the Gold Cup is crazy. Some people just want things too early.

Gloria Victis, Therealbandit…

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

God had totally forgotten about Therealbandit. All came back when I looked at his RP profile.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Don’t understand in that case why they don’t consider sending him for the Jewson or even the Arkle.

Nothing in the book over the minimum trip to indicate he was likely to be considered for the Arkle. Formbook I suspect hardly littered with Stayers Hurdle runners up dropping back to two miles. Never a chance.

The Jewson or the Gold Cup, are you being serious?

Those who are crying about him going for the Gold Cup, have you done your money in the RSA? Slightly weighted judgement perhaps – it would be nice to know. The favourite has obvious jumping problems and time will eventually catch up with Kauto. It says something about the others that Synchronised is 10/1. The fact that Grands Crus is 7-8/1 shows how ‘crazy’ an idea it is to run in the Gold Cup. He isn’t there yet, his next run at the end of January should make the decision for the connections.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

God had totally forgotten about Therealbandit. All came back when I looked at his RP profile.

They asked too much too soon. Possibly contributed to him not being
    top class when he’d promised much.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Don’t understand in that case why they don’t consider sending him for the Jewson or even the Arkle.

Nothing in the book over the minimum trip to indicate he was likely to be considered for the Arkle. Formbook I suspect hardly littered with Stayers Hurdle runners up dropping back to two miles. Never a chance.

Let’s play hangman.

_ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Nice one Zark! :lol:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Let’s play hangman.

_ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _

No thanks, I always think children’s games are best left to children.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

Has a novice ever won the Gold Cup? Do they even run very often (I can think of Iris Gift running as some kind of crazy plan B when he was struggling with jumping). It’s one thing a classy novice knocking over other novices, it’s quite another to go straight up against the best staying chasers in the top race.

Captain Christy, Dawn Run, but they were both phenomenal. The general record of novices is very poor; Carvills’ Hill and Beef or Salmon are two recent examples.
    Grand Cru at the moment is a promising novice, no more than that

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Has a novice ever won the Gold Cup? Do they even run very often (I can think of Iris Gift running as some kind of crazy plan B when he was struggling with jumping). It’s one thing a classy novice knocking over other novices, it’s quite another to go straight up against the best staying chasers in the top race.

Captain Christy, Dawn Run, but they were both phenomenal. The general record of novices is very poor; Carvills’ Hill and Beef or Salmon are two recent examples.

i dont think grands crus is carvills hill – i havent seen him jump like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JdLbSjRmvY … 1st fence and i was there .. and then downhill on the 1st circuit (also i think carvill lost some leg protection) and a mistake at the 1st second time round … beef or salmon was never a gold cup horse :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

i dont think grands crus is carvills hill – i havent seen him jump like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JdLbSjRmvY … 1st fence and i was there .. and then downhill on the 1st circuit (also i think carvill lost some leg protection) and a mistake at the 1st second time round … beef or salmon was never a gold cup horse :)

Actually, as a novice Beef or Salmon was a superb jumper; but after that fall in the Gold Cup he was never the same again. He won so mnat Grade 1s due to his talent, but was ever agins able to jump with speed and fluency. I’m sure that, looking back, Michall Hourigan regrets running him in the GC.
    It takes a freak for a novice to win the GC; Captain Christy and Dawn Run were extraordinary, Grand Crus, I don’t think so.
    Having said that, it won’t be the toughest Gold Cup; Long Run is a chancy jumper with a chancy pilot, the great Kauto Star fading, the Irish challenge devastated after the Lexus. And the RSA could be a formidable task, Last Instalmnet and Bog Warrior could be anything.

theplasticpaddy
    • Total Posts 57

Please God I pray they do not run Grand Crus in the GC. So many examples of such a decision proving not just bad but fatal; the period to the whole conversation is if a horse is not good enough to win an RSA then I would think it is unlikely it would win the Blue Riband. Winning the race on the wednesday hardly results in peanuts!!! As for dropping back for the Arkle, I cannot remember such a fantastic collection of talented and QUICK two mile novice chasers, galloped off his feet doesn’t even come close to where Grand Crus would be.. For the record, Grand Crus is not the winner of the RSA IMHO.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Whilst the notion of a 12yr old winning the Gold Cup is absurd, based on recent history, the bare facts and visual confirmation of Kauto’s two runs this season suggest he has a top notch chance. The absence of Denman is a big plus as The Tank on 3 of his 4 runs put Kauto under pressure to make mistakes, whereas in 2009 they rode Denman very tenderly and Kauto destroyed the field.
    On his two runs this season it can only be assumed Kauto is right back to his best and age has not had the effect most of us assumed, and though Long Run was eating into his lead, equally Ruby had not gone for Kauto seriously (one crack of the whip?) and would surely have dug in even more.
    I have taken 3s NRNB Long Run, but the more i think about it, Kauto at 5s is a knocking EW bet.

• Total Posts 18

If Kauto jumps and travels at Cheltenham like he did in his previous two races this season then he has to be a serious contender for the GC.

Long Run should benefit from the extended 3m 2f but Kauto has made him look stupid twice on the jumping front this season. If Kauto takes a positive position at the front and gets his jumping going he could be very hard to catch. We all know Long Run has a terrific engine but if his jumping goes to pieces then his staying power won’t count for much. He has to be up there with Kauto at the right time to kick on otherwise he’ll be chasing Kauto’s a*se up the hill.

Grand Crus is a very interesting runner based on his recent victory but I can’t see him beating the big two (yet). Captain Chris I like and I think he could run into a place if it comes right for him on the day.

Head still says Long Run but heart says Kauto. So it’s Kauto for me this time, EW.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Backing Kauto Star eachway at 5/1 seems a very silly bet. He is much more likely to win or come nowhere. Having said that backing any horse eachway at 5/1 has always seemed like folly to me. I would have serious doubts about him even lining up for the race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

5/1 EW isnt normally my bet either, but in this case it’s simply covering off the win stake. To me, Kauto will be certainly 1-2-3, not win or nowhere. Kauto is a rock-solid performer – Punchestown aside, and would have found his way into a place through sheer guts if not falling in 2010.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

I take the view that he was trained for the Betfair Chase, his run at Kempton was not quite as good and I have a feeling he will have trained off further by March. He is now 12 and more than entitled to lose his form.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

This years race is looking more and more like a 2 horse affair! I cannot have Grand Crus at this stage of his career but fully understand the reasoning for attempting to win. The Irish look to have been put firmly in their place and despite having backed QDLR and Bostons Angel I have had to have a small EW tilt at the horse i backed EW last season who was only a nose behind Kauto Star (66s).

:D

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 499 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.