The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2012 Arkle

Home Forums Archive Topics 2012 Arkle

Viewing 17 posts - 596 through 612 (of 624 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Again well done to Hurdy, first 2 winners.

But actually I think that was Sprinter Sacre’s least impressive performance over fences. Not beaten Cue Card by that far. Flat track SS infinitely better I think.

Bit like Dessie but didn’t stop him from being a great.

Ruby took it up because SS was alongside him with ease. Put the horse outside it’s comfort zone and made a mistake as SS sailed past. He might wish he’d waited longer but the best horse – easily the best horse – won.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

maybe rubbing salt in the wounds but noticed when al ferof made that big mistake he dived at the fence, rather as he did on his chasing debut at the same track (although he got away with it then) still not convinced about his jumping.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Think reason Al Ferof fluffed his lines cause it was the first time Geraghty put pressure on Walsh and Al Ferof wilted.

Dont think the distance is a talking point, Cue Card got within 3 lengths at the last, Geraghty shook him up and he instantly made up 4 lengths within seconds.

Outstanding horse, wonder what the handicapper will think.

• Total Posts 2440

Appears to be an absolutely brilliant horse, one that i hope is around for many years.

He travels so, so well, and is just so full of running. The jump he put in at the same fence that Al Ferof took off too far from, was brilliant, and gave Sprinter Sacre so many lengths.

A really fine performance.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Scintillating from Sprinter. Well done if you got fancy prices…and to HurdyBurdyGurdy/Fist/Anyothernames for vaingloriously pumping the debate on him.

I kinda feel sad it wasn’t more of a race, but he was just different gravy.

So much for my Bismarck! :oops:

I actually do think he’ll stay 3 miles in time, he just doesn’t need to go down that route yet. I did not think Master Minded would end up wanting 2m 4f, but the way Sprinter’s beginning to settle, devours the ground and jumps, gives me plenty of confidence he will get the longer trip when the time is right.

As for Al Ferof, he tried to put it down but couldn’t hack it – never would have won. Cue Card ran a nice race, though.

Zip

J17star
    • Total Posts 317

For all that i have dismissed Cue Card, he ran a really good race. In a normal year, he’d have made an ok winner.

Think SS was spectacular, although i do think he’s at his maximum ability on flat tracks. Runnong down the hill i thought he’d won 20+ lengths. Still a monsterous talent though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Anyone spotted Zarkava tucking into some humble pie anywhere?

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Watched the race again, this Sprinter Sacre is some jumper :shock:

When Al Ferof made his mistake SS was level with Cue Card, the lengths he took out of Cue Card, that was something else, think Al Ferofs mistake can make you unaware of how awesome Sprinter Sacre jumped that fence.

At the next fence, Sprinter Sacre completely aired the hurdle, while the rest ploughed right through it with the exception of Blackstairmountain.

Where he is relation to Sizing Europe I don’t know but I have him way clear of Finians Rainbow and the likes, think Cue Card would beat Finians too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

I’ve just had a few slices of that humble pie for tea aswell! :wink:

Extremely impressive from SS today and certainly answered the ‘hill’ question as there looked to be no signs of stopping.

Just a bit disappointed Al Ferof made that mistake and we didn’t see a better closer finish. The winning time may suggest Al Ferof may not have been too far behind at the last (going on his previous CD winning time) suppose we won’t know though.

Also disappointed the field cut up to six and the race really never panned out how I thought it might….Tizzard and Cue Card certainly never went the early pace I thought they would from what they were making out and was very surprised when Ruby took it up so early (possibly playing right into SS’s hands, who settled a lot better early aswell)…..On reflection though I think the quicker he goes the better SS jumps. I thought he was a bit slow over a couple early but from the moment Barry came upsides Al Ferof and AF made the mistake he powered on and jumped a lot better and won very impressively!

Huge well done to Hurdy and all the rest of you who were so sweet on his chances…..

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Red Riot, he would destroy Sizing Eur. I hope he will stay a trip now, becuse tbh, the 2 mile div is quite boring these days. He will easily reign supreme over 2m for years to come. But what joy in that. Whereas, the staying div looks to be really exciting next season. Extremely exciting. Long Run, Grand Crus, Last Instalment, Sir Des, Bobs Worth, Peddlers, Al Ferof, Hidden Cyc, Boston Bob (if stepped up), Dynaste and im sure there will be one or two more that I have left out ( ive had a few brews) Hunt Ball???
    Anyway, Id love Sprinter to be involved with that lot next season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I ate it after the Game Spirit, JJM. You should be able to find my comments. If I mentioned the bet I’ve got for the Queen Mum next season I’ll be accused of after-timing, so I’ll let Hurdy tell you all for me as I messaged him about it before the Game Spirit.

Well done to you as well, JJM. You may not have been talking him up quite so much as Hurdy but you were still a vocal supporter.

Would still love to see something get him off the bridle just to see what’s actually there.

I do genuinely think that was his least impressive performance & I really think Al Ferof would’ve given him something to think about. Wouldn’t have won, that’s for sure, but might have given Geraghty something to think about.

Participant
    • Total Posts 20

Happy days.

Backed this @ 2/1 and topped up in the run up to the festival. Absolute monster of a horse. Unfortunate thing was I put all my winnings on The Fly who had a shocker of a race under Ruby. My only saving grace was the £15 e-w I also had on ROR.

Would he beat Sizing Europe? As much as I like to think of SS as unstoppable, I’m pretty confident that over 2m at Cheltenham Sizing Europe would still have him.

Sizing Europe is a seriously underrated 2 miler – definitely one of the best of the last 5 years – and he always finds plenty off the bridle. I’m sure that SS would move into the lead travelling strongly and would get SE working a bit, but SE would jump into the lead at the last and get on by 3 or 4 lengths up the hill.

Sizing Europe is bombproof tomorrow. This is the weakest CC we have seen in the last decade.

Participant
    • Total Posts 20

I ate it after the Game Spirit, JJM. You should be able to find my comments. If I mentioned the bet I’ve got for the Queen Mum next season I’ll be accused of after-timing, so I’ll let Hurdy tell you all for me as I messaged him about it before the Game Spirit.

Well done to you as well, JJM. You may not have been talking him up quite so much as Hurdy but you were still a vocal supporter.

Would still love to see something get him off the bridle just to see what’s actually there.

I do genuinely think that was his least impressive performance & I really think Al Ferof would’ve given him something to think about. Wouldn’t have won, that’s for sure, but might have given Geraghty something to think about.

Agreed. I was shouting my head off at the last willing him up the hill. I don’t think he found as much as people suspect he did coming up that hill and I certainly wouldn’t back him again odds-on at the Festival.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

hmmmm…. think some people are being too picky. too my eyes he got up it plenty fine. I think you are underestimating cue card, who was turned out in fabulous condition, has always been regarded as a hell of a horse, (after all he absolutely murdered his opposition in the bumper, which included al ferof) and in some sense proved it today.

did you really feel that he tired up the hill? visually it didn’t look like it.

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Barry gave him a breather round the home turn. Was plain to see. Murdered them and was in no way flattered.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

just to give some idea, i’ve roughly timed sprinter sacre from the last to the line and he comes out about a second and a half quicker than hunt ball in the handicap at the end of the card.

I know that wasn’t a very good race and was over half a mile further, but still hunt ball was driven out to the line when sprinter sacre was basically dossing, and hunt ball is one of the most improved horses in training.

I think at this moment at least it’s very hard to knock sprinter sacre.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Is a Great horse but agree about him being put under pressure coming up the hill – should Cue Card really be that close to him ?

Dont get me wrong – potential superstar and im a big big fan but he only beat 5 other horses today. In a bigger field under much more pressure it might not suit as much – we shall see. I thought he had the run of the race today.

Viewing 17 posts - 596 through 612 (of 624 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.