The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2012 Arkle

Home Forums Archive Topics 2012 Arkle

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 624 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Darren, if you’d like to quote the part of my post where I say this is a negative for Peddler’s Cross…twice in 3 days people are reading what they want to read and not what I have written for people to read. Already fed up with it.

And Stilvi, not trying to convince myself of anything. Al Ferof jumped great yet again and will improve for a faster pace and better ground.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Very interesting comments from all camps. For me both horses look good enough to win so I hope they both rock up for the race fit and well, my one concern is that Mr Nicholls may send Al Ferof over further come March!

I am stuck as Al Ferof is one of my favourite horses in training (i like John Hales horses, One Man and Azertyioup were awesome) but I have one of my largest ever ante post bets on Peddlers Cross at 8s. I was mightily impressed with him last season and new fences were made for the lad, his wins so far have merely encouraged my thoughts!

Personally i think Al Ferof needs a strong pace and generally you get that in the Arkle so I can see Peddlers Cross taking up the running just after 2 out and then it will be a matter of whether Ruby can get there on Al Ferof or not! As it stands today I believe Peddlers Cross will hold on BUT only time will tell :D

Like others I cannot have any other horse winning this race and agree Al Ferof is good value at 7s. What an awesome race we have in prospect should all arrive safe and sound

Participant
    • Total Posts 340

I’m sure Peddlars Cross and Al Ferof desrevedly have their supporters as they are two classy animals….but I’m not sure people should assume the Arkle is a two horse race.
    Just wait and see how the betting is come March after Sprinter Sacre has strutted his stuff a couple of times.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Even given that he ran a little free on a track almost bound to suit hard not to be impressed with Sprinter Sacre. Jumped very well and clearly has plenty of pace. I think Ladbrokes are correct in making him second favourite. Already looking like a much better race than last year’s dire renewal.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Sprinter sacre was very impressive – taken it wasnt a top class race but handled the ground and only really got in close at the water. Was pulling the guys arms out and he really attacked the fences – his galloping style will suit the arkle as many winners have been ridden up there – the strong pace will suit as well. Like a lot 8)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

More impressed by that jumping display than both of PC’s and SS looks the more athletic of the two – went long, went short, was clever sometimes, exuberant others – seems to love fences. Arkle should be a cracker!

WelshWizard1973
    • Total Posts 185

As impressed as I was with Sprinter Sacre’s win today I do have a nagging doubt with him for the Arkle as I think he’s best suited to flat tracks.

He looked the most likely winner two out in last year’s Supreme Novice but didn’t appear to get up the hill, which we know will be no problem at all for both Peddlers Cross & Al Ferof.

Rated 170+ over hurdles I’m pretty happy being sat with a 7/1 ante post voucher for Peddlers Cross! :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Sprinter Sacre was cruising as he turned for home in the Supreme Novices’. He was roughly 1/2L ahead of Cue Card at that point and managed to beat him by just 1 1/4L. Cue Card now has a reputation for finding nothing off the bridle, so rather baffled why everybody’s jumping on SS for the Arkle. Not to mention he has 5 1/2L to find on Al Ferof (by Dom Alco, whose progeny excel over fences).

He was impressive at the majority of fences I thought, although he put in a huge jump at one point, about a stride earlier than he needed to, and just about made it to the other side – he won’t be able to do that at Cheltenham.

Utterly baffled as to why there’s been so much hype around him today, crazy crazy crazy. The kind of horse that bookies love IMO.

• Total Posts 1533

You should bottle that home brew you’ve been drinking and sell it you’d make a fortune. Certainly a lot more than you do off racing if that’s how you form your opinion.

Sprinter Sacre was the biggest baby in the yard at Seven Barrows last year.

He was never expected to win the Supreme and you should take the form book and toss it in the bin.

When you’ve done that you’d do worse than put everything you can afford on him for the for the Arkle.

I’ve seen some good novices in my time, like Nick Dundee, Killiney etc but after only one run this fellow impressed me even more than they did..

No wonder Nicky said he was scary and didn’t want to talk about him before the race. How do you tell people about a horse like that without them thinking your exaggerating.

Peddlar’s Cross was a very good hurdler without being a great one but a year on looking at this horse unless my eyes deceive me looks in a different class to him and the rest of them.

He wasn’t just good for a novice he was awesome and some of his jumping would have Arkle himself turning in his grave and thinking was that me. :o

An awesome display with awesome potential has me well and truly sold that this horse will win the Arkle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Tried tipping people off months ago, hope you were all on!

Sprinter Sacre/Grands Crus come Cheltenham could make me a reasonably rich man! :)

• Total Posts 26

Sprinter Sacre was cruising as he turned for home in the Supreme Novices’. He was roughly 1/2L ahead of Cue Card at that point and managed to beat him by just 1 1/4L. Cue Card now has a reputation for finding nothing off the bridle, so rather baffled why everybody’s jumping on SS for the Arkle. Not to mention he has 5 1/2L to find on Al Ferof (by Dom Alco, whose progeny excel over fences).

He was impressive at the majority of fences I thought, although he put in a huge jump at one point, about a stride earlier than he needed to, and just about made it to the other side – he won’t be able to do that at Cheltenham.

Utterly baffled as to why there’s been so much hype around him today, crazy crazy crazy. The kind of horse that bookies love IMO.

Couldn’t agree with you more! SS was rather impressive at quite a few fences, giving them plenty of air but he would have to improve something extraordinary on his hurdling form to get close to Peddler’s.

I would fancy SS might get alongside Al Ferof and fight for second, but so far I can see nothing which would get close to PC. 6/1 is a quite ridiculous price after 1 run over fences for a horse which finished third in a good supreme.

I’d sooner have the 4/1 for the horse that finished second in a top-drawer champion.

• Total Posts 1533

How on earth can you use their separate hurdling careers to even try and compare them?

Peddlar’s Cross was a second season hurdler who raced against the best while Sprinter Sacre was a chaser who went hurdling to fill in time and allow him to develop.

SS was so weak and backward he was beaten by Frascati Park the first time he was really asked to race over hurdles. I’d like to think Peddlar’s Cross has superior form he had much more experience and was twice as mature.

The thing is this isn’t hurdles it’s chasing and the Sprinter Sacre of today has left the big baby that ran over hurdles a long way behind..

deleted

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

deleted

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Whoever is right we will see – Roll on March it looks like a cracking race. Hope they all make it there in one piece 8)

• Total Posts 1533

deleted

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Looking to be one of the races of the festival so far the Arkle.

All three at the head of the market have put in impressive rounds of jumping so far.

I can’t get out of my head how SS folded like a pack of cards in the Supreme last year after looking the likely winner. Likewise, in that race Al Ferof showed the famous Cheltenham hill to be no problem at all as he stormed up it to win nicely.

I see Peddlers Cross leading them round the corner, SS travelling strongly and Ruby beginning to get to work on Al Ferof. They jump the last and SS fails to climb the hill again and Peddlers Cross fans have their hearts broken as he finds one too good at the festival again as Ruby sweeps past to win a length and a half, with a further five back to SS. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

deleted

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 624 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.