The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2012 Arkle

Home Forums Archive Topics 2012 Arkle

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 624 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Reported by Thommo, therefore huge question marks as to the reliability of it, that Menorah will go to Yogi Bear to work on his jumping & might turn up in the Kingmaker before a possible crack at the Arkle.

• Total Posts 403

He’s not been "helping" Captain Chris as well has he?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Don’t think so. I’ve kept on top of Chris’ news this year & haven’t heard Jellystone Park mentioned once. Needs to go there though, unless Hobbs gets him jumping upside 2 other horses while going left-handed to sort him out.

• Total Posts 1533

I don’t know who’s doing the schooling at the Hobbs yard but they’re not making much of an impression.

Menorah seems to be learning nothing and Captain Chris’s jumping was so bad there’s clearly something badly amiss that should have been sorted before going back on a LH track or any track for that matter.

The late Harry Bell used to have a contraption that sorted out horses like him. It’s called a rubber hose you smack them across the lug with it every time the want to go right and they soon learn. :lol:

Mr Hobbs needs to bring in someone to sort these two out because as far as I can see they’re both going backwards or you could say sideways when they should be going forward.

sandwith100
    • Total Posts 47

Previous Cheltenham form usually prevails. Peddlers Cross will eat Sprinter Sacre up the hill. This horse ran Hurricane Fly to a length. Keep the faith (and the AP slips)

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Previous Cheltenham form usually prevails. Peddlers Cross will eat Sprinter Sacre up the hill. This horse ran Hurricane Fly to a length. Keep the faith (and the AP slips)

Saying that, horses that spent more than their novice season hurdling have rarely gone on to win the Arkle in recent years. Step in Al Ferof :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I don’t know who’s doing the schooling at the Hobbs yard but they’re not making much of an impression.

Menorah seems to be learning nothing and Captain Chris’s jumping was so bad there’s clearly something badly amiss that should have been sorted before going back on a LH track or any track for that matter.

The late Harry Bell used to have a contraption that sorted out horses like him. It’s called a rubber hose you smack them across the lug with it every time the want to go right and they soon learn. :lol:

Mr Hobbs needs to bring in someone to sort these two out because as far as I can see they’re both going backwards or you could say sideways when they should be going forward.

Wishfull Thinking’s jumping also shows some of the flaws of Menorah and CC – the common factor . . . R Johnson

I thought Menorah might jump better yesterday under O’Brien – so much for that as he got as far as the 3rd.

But the three horses (and some other RJ rides) all show what looks to me very like a complete lack of communication with the jock at some obstacles. They cat-jump,take off too soon and often look clueless, guessing much of the time.

I suspect the end of RJ’s career is not that far away.

• Total Posts 403

You do realise the Arkle isn’t over hurdles don’t you?

sandwith100
    • Total Posts 47

You do realise the Arkle isn’t over hurdles don’t you?

its the one where they chase the rabbit round isnt it ??
    :)

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Sanctuaire was mighty impressive before, but Christ didn’t he run like a loon! Personally I think massive Arkle cuts are awfully premature. Yes he did look better over fences today than he ever has over hurdles, but he beat nothing. In an Arkle of this calibre, he’ll make no impression.

That’s if he even starts :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I was most impressed with Sanctuaire’s chasing debut at Taunton today where he made the running for the first time in his career (more by accident than design perhaps).

He showed a great appetite for jumping fences compared with his mulish demeanour over hurdles (reluctant to start at times) and he wouldn’t be the first horse who’s been transformed by a change to steeplechasing.

His jumping was superb for a debutant, certainly no worse than that of Sprinter Sacre the Arkle favourite on his. Sprinter Sacre is 2/1 for the Arkle and Sanctuaire, the same age (6) and 1lb his superior over hurdles on official ratings, is 25/1. Given that he has a champion trainer and the best jock riding. that is a silly price – twice as long as it should be imo.

The Racing Post Arkle is a hot race. Sprinter Sacre is a possible superstar, Cue Card is good value as the pace of the race will see him at his best imo, but 25/1 Sanctuaire is a rare error by bookmakers, I think, and he must be a great bet at that price especially as he will probably make the running and trade quite short.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Be wary of my previous post which was based on RP quotes today: now hearing on twitter that Sanctuaire might be saved for Aintree

• Total Posts 46

Richard Johnson would have been a multiple champion jockey if a certain AP McCoy wasn’t around. He’s one of the best jump jockeys Britain has produced. I don’t think you can blame Menorah & Captain Chris on him. There was clearly something up with Captain Chris at Cheltenham & Menorah was even worse under the young jock that replaced him. He didn’t make it past the 2nd fence if I remember rightly. Stupid statement. He won 6 Grade 1’s & a Scottish national in 2011 I’d say he will be doing anything but hanging his boots up. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Richard Johnson would have been a multiple champion jockey if a certain AP McCoy wasn’t around. He’s one of the best jump jockeys Britain has produced. I don’t think you can blame Menorah & Captain Chris on him. There was clearly something up with Captain Chris at Cheltenham & Menorah was even worse under the young jock that replaced him. He didn’t make it past the 2nd fence if I remember rightly. Stupid statement. He won 6 Grade 1’s & a Scottish national in 2011 I’d say he will be doing anything but hanging his boots up. :wink:

Will you offer me a price that he will finish at the end of the current season?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

What price will you offer me that he doesn’t?

• Total Posts 46

Oh dear..

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

What price will you offer me that he doesn’t?

No, I won’t. But then again I didn’t accuse you of making a stupid statement or I would happily back it up by offering a price.

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 624 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.