The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2012 Arkle

Home Forums Archive Topics 2012 Arkle

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 624 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1533

At first glance yes because I was only looking at him but when I watched Ruby I noticed he had plenty horse under him as well. Played it again and notice Barry wasn’t exactly comfortable with Sprinter Sacre before the home turn. He was dossing a bit and Barry kept giving him a prod to keep him attentive. He was going very well in the straight but like most young horses showed a bit of greeness when the old head cocked. I though Barry was concentrating on not unbalancing him and that’s why he’s sitting as quite as possible. He certainly wasn’t pulling his arms out but going well? yes. I never gave him winning by a long margin a thought to be honest and thought Ruby was going to get there as I said earlier.

We see too many 2 yo on the flat who look to going better than he did and throwing races away through greeness but I thought he showed a lot of character winning the race.

Behind Frascatti Park could it be he blew up turning for home? He had been off the track for 216 days was pretty easy back in the market considering his reputation, he opened at e/e but plenty 5/4 was available despite some heavy bets.

It was also the longest distance he’s ever tackled but if you look back to a much earlier post I made, what I liked was the way he ran on, never stopped trying and this was way before this part of the debate came about. So again I can’t agree he’s a bridle horse.

Cheltenham : I thought I covered this before he met Peddler’s Cross when I said he was a weak horse back then and would prove to be a faster horse and a better Jumper than him.

He looks no more leke a Harchibald than flying in the air in the Supreme.. He’s weakend from his earlier efforts to slip the field his legs are going all over the joint going to the last ebcause he’s got tired, he clouts it and land flat. by that time the nearest challenger to him for 3rd was Cue Card and despite being tired he keeps trying and find enough to pull a length clear of him again

I just don’t know where you are coming from on this I can’t see any reason to think he’s a bridle horse but plenty reasons to think he might turn out to be something really special, even if I am after timing as the penny never dropped until about the 3rd fence at Donnie on my part. I was very much in the Spirit Son camp last year.

Think on the bright side, It could be years before we know if he’s a bridle horse because as far as I can see unless Al Ferof redeems himself after his last effort and slaughters them tomorrow there may be nothing around that can get him off the bridle :idea:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

but plenty reasons to think he might turn out to be something really special

First we agree on Grands Crus going for the Gold Cup if he wins the Denman, now we agree on this.

*shudders*

Good post btw.

• Total Posts 403

Right, I’ve had a proper look at Sprinter Sacre’s profile and the replay of a few of his races. So I’ll just come out and say it; Bridle Merchant.

And then again at Cheltenham in the Supreme. Cruising, asked by McCoy to pick up, finds nothing.

He didn’t jump the last two hurdles fluently in the Supreme and kike Hurdy.. said if he was a bridle horse he wouldn’t have held off Cue Card.

• Total Posts 1533

Actually if the truth be known I had to think twice and drag my tongue out of my cheek when I decided to write that as I accused Cue Card of being a bigger monkey than Harchibald last year :oops:

What a lovely peaceful forum "Z" I got those pills for the mad cows decease and feel much better :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Hehe.

It’s nothing personal, it’s just your somewhat ‘exuberant’ posting style.

I also agree that Cue Card is a big monkey and finds absolutely nothing off the bridle. Everytime he’s come off the bridle he’s been beaten. No short-head bumper victories for his fans to use in his defence ;).

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Ooooo gents, do I sense some reconciliation on the cards? :D

• Total Posts 46

I think the thing you have to remember with this horse is he’s been taken along very slowly with chasing being his only target. I would say this season has been the first when the trainer has actually thought about the festival. The vibe I got from Nicky last season was that he didn’t even want him to run at Cheltenham.
    I will just point out that in the race with Frascati Park the horse returned sick. He would have pissed up in that race if he was sound (imo of course).
    As for being a bridle horse while I agree he’s not a horse who needs rousting up to get hold of the bit I do believe he will always find plenty when asked. The Supreme is the obvious example to bring up as it’s the only race he’s been put under pressure apart from his first bumper run. Now my opinion of that race was although he was getting tired by the time he met the hill after going straight through the last he did keep on to get 3rd. He didn’t totally tie up & if you look at who he was racing with in Cue Card he won that silly battle rather well. That is the only reason he didn’t finish the race off he was taking on a high class much more experienced animal in Cue Card (don’t forget he was many people’s idea of a certainty at the time and flew up the hill in the chelt bumper) at the top of the hill and while strong stayers will get away with it I can’t see how it will ever suit a horse with so much class and speed. I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the main aim in the Game Spirit, win or lose will be to teach this horse to settle in off the pace & use his energy at the right time. If done correctly he will run on stronger and faster than anything over 2 miles, hill or no hill.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Not a sensational Arkle prep by any means from Al Ferof there. Think the pace was rather start-stop and seemed to be fairly slow, which certainly wouldn’t have suited him. I think he just got caught in the sprint for home when the pace quickened up. Couple of slightly iffy jumps too, despite never looking like falling.

However, his first run for 7 weeks and Nicholls will have left plenty to work with. Should get better ground at Cheltenham and a stiffer track to help. He’s no future Queen Mum horse, that’s for sure.

But beaten only 4 1/2 lengths by 2 Arkle runner-ups, no shame in that at all.

• Total Posts 1982

"He came here to get experience for Cheltenham. Ruby [Walsh] is delighted and I’m delighted.

I’ve left plenty to work on

and he’ll run in the Arkle unless the other race [the Champion Chase] falls apart, which it won’t."

PAUL NICHOLLS ~ RP ONLINE

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

From a personal perspective, I was very happy with Al Ferof in this, with regards to an Arkle prep.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

If Somersby ran near his rating today at Ascot, that would make Al Ferof near 160 after just 3 chase starts.

Also I only saw Ruby give the horse 3 smacks, although about 100 yards in the final furlong is hidden due to the close-up on Somersby and Finian.

• Total Posts 403

I’m sorry Zarkava but using ratings to big up any animals chance when it comes to the Festival has got to be the surest route to the poor house. They are completely irrelevant and usually wrong. I’m pretty sure it was his ludicrous rating in the high 160s that meant Woolcombe Folly went off shorter than Sizing Europe in the last year’s QM. And is Poquelin still rated 170? L.O.L.

Al Ferof was tapped for toe by a couple of animals who fall some way short of top class. He will not see where Sprinter Sacre went in the Arkle much less get near him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Somersby’s been over-rated by about 10 pounds imo, since his frequent run-ins with Master Minded (who is also about 10 pounds too high).

Cheekpieces did seem to change his attitude today although I’d like to see that sort of performance twice in a row before re-assessing him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

I’m sorry Zarkava but using ratings to big up any animals chance when it comes to the Festival has got to be the surest route to the poor house.

Probably the 2nd surest behind backing short priced ‘hype’ horses who have yet to deliver…i.e….Sprinter Sacre!

That was really encouraging from Al Ferof today and only positives can be taken from it in my opinion. Taking on the older horses and without jumping half as well as he has shown he can, he has gained valuable experience of being pitched in against better horses, and after getting a little tapped for toe ran on really strongly after the last to close on two good horses fighting out a finish.

I trust in PN to deliver him to the Arkle in tip top condition and ready to do himself justice. He’s said he’s left himself plenty to work on and he will do it.

One thing Al Ferof has in his favour is course form at Cheltenham which is invaluable. In a strong run race round a course he’s proven on and a hill he will relish running up he’s still the one I strongly fancy to win it.

• Total Posts 46

I will genuinely be shocked if Sprinter Sacre doesn’t turn out to be better than Somersby. As for Master Minded being overrated what a load of rubbish. He was a fantastic horse look at the races he’s won. At times in an absolute canter.
    Al Ferof ran well today I thought. I can see him being tapped for toe but he has a great attitude & he showed that today. I do feel that Sprinter is something a bit different though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

A "hype horse" is a horse who has not actually done it on the racecourse againt decent opposition.

Sprinter Sacre trounced one of his nearest Arkle rivals.

Make all the excuses you want, Peddlers Cross will not turn the form around come March.

As for Al Ferof. I am genuinely shocked that anybody who has seen his last two races would even dream of backing him for the Arkle.

Sprinter Sacre and Quevega on the first day will pay for the week.

Lee

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I see that Timeform rate Al Ferof’s third in the Victor Chandler at Ascot yesterday as the best performance by a novice chaser this season – and I couldn’t agree more.

I gather they now rate Al Ferof on 161 and that is 3lb ahead of Grands Crus’ Feltham win (which was 158p).

Although he jumped a bit novicey on occasions, I was delighted with his fencing in the main.

He wasn’t foot perfect, but that is exactly why I ran him in the race. Namely, for the experience in a strongly run, high class race that he is very likely to get in the Arkle -and yesterday’s race will clearly stand him in very good stead.

I know we always say it at this time of the year but this season’s race – with Sprinter Sacre, Peddlers Cross and Cue Card to name but three – really looks a hot renewal. I am under no illusions about that, and that Al Ferof will probably need more than 2m in the future.

But, in summary, I was thrilled with the run – he is fine this morning, along with yesterday’s winners Celestial Halo and Violin Davis – and now it is all systems go for the Arkle.

He won’t run before then and my aim now is to get him ready and at his best for Cheltenham and that is exactly what I will do. As we have seen with him in the past, most obviously when finishing second in the Festival bumper and when winning the Supreme, he is at his best in the Spring too.

So I wouldn’t rule out further improvement in six weeks’ time.

And Timeform also make another interesting point. Now, this year’s race will probably take much more winning, but they rate Al Ferof’s Ascot third yesterday 2lb higher than Captain Chris’ winning Arkle performance last year.

So my eyes are set on Cheltenham in March.

But Ruby is looking further ahead, it seems – in more ways than one.

I can tell you that Ruby was thrilled with yesterday as an Arkle trial.

But he also turned round to John Hales yesterday and said "what a ride he’d be in the King George next season."

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 624 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.