The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2012 Arkle

Home Forums Archive Topics 2012 Arkle

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 624 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1533

I can understand you thinking that because it’s the same owner and trainer but Azertyuiop was head and shoulders above everything that year and had a virtual walkover in the Arkle.

The 2nd was decent but his best form of his career came when he won the Peterbourough.

What might swing PN even closer to running Al Ferof in the QMCC is the news that Donald McCain found a couple of things wrong with Peddlers after his race with Sprinter Sacre.

He didn’t tell ATR what the couple of thing were which is weird, but as a matter of interest it appears he pulled some muscles which could explains why Sprinter beat him so far. Anyway he will now def go for the Arkle according to McCain.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

So far i think Sprinter has been more impressive than Azertyuiop was at this point in the season

Come the day, he’ll be 6-4 at best. Others will swerve for the Jewson or Grand Annual.

• Total Posts 403

What might swing PN even closer to running Al Ferof in the QMCC is the news that Donald McCain found a couple of things wrong with Peddlers after his race with Sprinter Sacre.

He didn’t tell ATR what the couple of thing were which is weird, but as a matter of interest it appears he pulled some muscles which could explains why Sprinter beat him so far. Anyway he will now def go for the Arkle according to McCain.

It’s taken him long enough to discover these ailments. The reason SS beat him so far was that he travelled better and jumped better. He’s a better chaser over that sort of trip. End of.

• Total Posts 1533

Don’t really know how to take that.

If you feel you have to convince me he’s a better horse than Peddler’s Cross, you obviously don’t read very many posts.

• Total Posts 403

The person who needs convincing is Donald McCain. Stayers do not win Arkle’s when they come up against top class two milers.

• Total Posts 1533

To be fair if I owned a horse who had finished 2nd to Hurricane Fly in a Champion Hurdle no one would convince me not to run.

The problem is if you don’t go and the one horse you fear gets beat! what then?

I agree common sense says go for the longer race because it is going to cut up big time it’s worth 20k more for winning it than you get for finishing 2nd in the Arkle.

Very sporting of PC’s owner and trainer running him or are they being foolish? time will tell

• Total Posts 403

If I owned Peddlers Cross I’d go for the Arkle because it’s one of the best races of the year and I’d like to see where my horse is at in relation to the best two milers.

I’d then go Hennessy/King George next season.

• Total Posts 1508

Very sporting of PC’s owner and trainer running him or are they being foolish? time will tell

Nothing foolish about it.I said straight after the race that the real

Peddlers Cross

would have finished a damn sight closer than he did,there was none of his previous ‘Gusto’ about that effort,Peddlers wears his heart on his sleeve that Kempton run showed his heart wasn’t in it for whatever reason.Take nothing away from the ‘talkin’ horse

Sprinter Sacre

he did it in style.The Arkles a different course on a different day and i wouldn’t be surprised to see a very closer finish between the 2,i’d still favour the ‘talkin’ horse as i’m not a fan of Peddlers jumping!

• Total Posts 638

The person who needs convincing is Donald McCain. Stayers do not win Arkle’s when they come up against top class two milers.

Peddlers Cross is not a stayer…all his best form is at 2 miles. Hopefully he will prove better than he showed at Kempton but he will need to be to beat SS.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Peddlers Cross is not a stayer…all his best form is at 2 miles. Hopefully he will prove better than he showed at Kempton but he will need to be to beat SS.

He’s won a G1 and a G2 over 2 1/2 miles

Don’t think he’s a three miler but 2 1/2 should suit over fences

• Total Posts 1533

Nothing foolish about it.I said straight after the race that the real

Peddlers Cross

would have finished a damn sight closer than he did,there was none of his previous ‘Gusto’ about that effort,Peddlers wears his heart on his sleeve that Kempton run showed his heart wasn’t in it for whatever reason.Take nothing away from the ‘talkin’ horse

Sprinter Sacre

he did it in style.The Arkles a different course on a different day and i wouldn’t be surprised to see a very closer finish between the 2,i’d still favour the ‘talkin’ horse as i’m not a fan of Peddlers jumping!

I know that they are claiming Peddlers pulled some muscles in the race but how much that had to do with him being beaten so far is very hard to say

I know when I used to fight I would find out the next morning I had a bruised arm or or leg but had no idea how I got them. Even pulled a muscle in my hip once that I never even felt until the next day when I couldn’t even get out of bed. It kept me out of the Dojo for 7 weeks. This would be injury must be minor or there would be things like "if he makes it" being said.

I thought Barry was oozing confidence all the way round and never really asked Sprinter to do an awful lot. I have to ask myself just how fast can this horse go he looked like he had 3 more gears to play with and I can’t see the track at Cheltenham making one bit of difference to him. He’s been there he cruised all the way through the race with ease until approaching the last. I’ve said all along weakness beat him not the hill and our Nicky said exactly the same thing on ATR a couple of days ago.

You say "Talking Horse" a Talking Horse is a horse think will be exceptionally good one day. He’s already what others can only dream of being and the talking stopped the minute he jumped his first fence in public.

I agree it could be closer at Cheltenham.

Sprinter Sacre will probably only win by 15 lengths if there’s a strong headwind.

• Total Posts 638

He’s won a G1 and a G2 over 2 1/2 miles

Don’t think he’s a three miler but 2 1/2 should suit over fences

He ran to 170 in the Champion Hurdle (16.5f)well ahead of his next best 162 in the Fighting Fifth (16.5f) and in turn well ahead of the G1 & G2 wins (mentioned)at further. Obviously improvement from his novice season accounts for a fair bit of this.
    Nevertheless, he gets 20f well but he is best (and has best form) at 2 miles in my view.

• Total Posts 1508

You say "Talking Horse" a Talking Horse is a horse think will be exceptionally good one day. He’s already what others can only dream of being and the talking stopped the minute he jumped his first fence in public.

I agree it could be closer at Cheltenham.

Sprinter Sacre will probably only win by 15 lengths if there’s a strong headwind.

He’s as big a ‘talkin’ horse as i can remember.Whats he actually achieved in Real terms? Jack sh*t! He beat a 130 rated Novice getting 5lb off him in a Class 4 around a flat track (Doncaster) he then ran around Kempton,another flat track on his own Ffs.Cheltenham will see this fellows Bubble burst big time,if its not him flying off and falling at the 3rd it will be the hill.You can make excuses all day about him being weak last year,he still is imo and as for

Al Ferof

flying past him last year like he was stood still,the same will happen again this year.

At 5/2 Sprinter Sacre is the lay of the meeting!

8)

bainsey2k10
    • Total Posts 19

The price at 5/2 reflects his chances and he will be shorter on the day

in that price is the fact Nicky and Barry wotn hear of his being beaten (something very rare for Nicky to say in public unlike guys like Nicholls, Twiston Davies etc..)

you basically taking 5/2 on him standing up – as ‘if he stands up he wins’ or so i have been told :wink:

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Hurdy: ‘Our Nicky’ are you related to Mr henderson?

I agree with some of your comments and as such you must realise how good Peddlers Cross is and the style of horse he is. It was blatantly clear that this run was nothing at all like any he had produced on the race track before, so the fact Mr McCain has come out and said he is happy to have found something wrong is a bonus for Peddlers Cross backers.

Believe me I am taking nothing away from Sprinter Sacre as he ran a cracking race and jumped extremely well all out alone, rather like a gallop at home, let’s just wait and see how his jumping holds out on a proper jumping track and up against fit competition that takes him on. I still do not believe he has the beating of AL FEROF who well and truly put him in his place at last seasons festival and he too has improved for another year!!

This is the beauty of jump racing mate, we all have opinions and freedom of speech, yee haaaaa bring on March :D

• Total Posts 1533

I’m related to Nicky… through drink :wink:

No doubt Peddler’s is better than we seen that day but then so is Sprinter Sacre.

He’s only been cruising remember so Peddlers un-injured might be able to lie up with him for a while but when Barry presses the button he’ll need wings that he doesn’t have to keep in touch.

I don’t think it’s quite sunk in just how good/fast this horse is.

I had a look at the sectional for Sacre and Finian’s . Over the last 3 furlong Barry was lobbing along without a care in the world on Sprinter Sacre but on Finian’s he was flat to the board riding for all he was worth, the horse responding really well to get back and win.

It would be fair to say Finian’s was flying and Sacre was cruising but the sectionals tell a different story.

Sprinter Sacre was cruising but was still faster over all 3 furlongs

What happened in last years Superme is a million miles away now.

Due to the fact most horses that run in it need time very seldom do Supreme winners not find more than a few improving past them and achieving much more than they do.

We can make excuses for Al Ferof and still give him a chance in the Arkle but on bare chase form you’d have to say he’ll be lucky to be sighted.

IMO To keep harping back to his Supreme form is a dangerous game to play. Nicky for one is adamant it was year too soon for both of his and they’ll be a few who finished behind saying the same. You simply cant say that about Al Ferof who ran up the hill like a tiger and looked primed to the minute.

Looking back over the last 10 years Suprme Winners haven’t faired too well because of this very reason. Captin Cee Bee did ok as did Brave Inca really well, Go Native ended up a huge disappointment as did Menorah and Ebaziyan etc etc.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Looking back over the last 10 years Suprme Winners haven’t faired too well because of this very reason. Captin Cee Bee did ok as did Brave Inca really well, Go Native ended up a huge disappointment as did Menorah and Ebaziyan etc etc.

Well I think you’re really clutching at straws in your arguments now if you want to say that Supreme Novices’ Hurdle winners subsequently flop.

Go Native won the Fighting Fifth & Xmas Hurdles – yet you call him a huge disappointment…

Brave Inca you correctly state did very well, Menorah, Arcalis and Ebaziyan have been readily exposed as extremely ordinary horses. But again, Menorah & Arcalis both won big prestigious hurdling events; Menorah the Greatwood & Bula, Arcalis the Fighting Fifth. I’m not for one second suggesting they are top horses, but they still won big races.

Between Noland’s career starting and winning the Supreme, he had only 3 fewer runs than he’s had since winning the Supreme. A career blighted by injury. Captain Cee Bee has been plagued by stupid niggles his entire career & spent a year out. They still both won Grade 1s post-Supreme Novices’ Hurdle.

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 624 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.