The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeder’s Cup 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Breeder’s Cup 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 233 total)
  • Author
    AfleetTreet
    • Total Posts 41

Hello Everyone,
    I am very new here and actually from the USA. I manage a forum similar to this in the United States. Anyway, I was really hoping to chat with some here abou Breeder’s Cup horses. I attended the BC last year and had a great time. I really enjoy seeing so many of your run so well and was completely awestrock by Goldi’s win. I hear she is slated to return this year as well and I will be in attendance with my camera in hand so I was hoping to get to know some of you…hear your opinions on our horses…and chat it up about who is planning on making the trip to Santa Anita and which horses I can watch out for. As I said, last year Goldi’s win was awesomne and Raven’s Pass and Henrythenavigator were amazing as well. In the paddock I simply FLIPPED for Duke of Marmalade. What a gorgeous horse he is! I got a neat picture of him on the warmup. Anyway, I look forward to meeting everyone and leanring MUCH more about UK and European racing as I just love it all!
    :)

(If anyone is interested in meeting some of us on my forum in the U.S. please ask and I will send you the link)

I look forward to talking to you all more in the future.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Hi and welcome to the board. Things have been a bit quiet recently but they will pick up. It’s no secret that i’ve backed Rip Van Winkle for this race. Sea The Stars would have a fantastic chance aswell if he turned up. He has a trainer that hasn’t planned that far ahead yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

A very warm welcome!

If the race was 1 furlong shorter I would be all up for backing Rip Van Winkle mysef but te pace they go in the USA may just find him out.

The other problem he may face is the surface which I doubt will help.

This Zenyatta is unreal and on her latest run she looked like heart attack material. If she dropped herself out as much as she did there something would be sure to beat her.

However that was not a good race and with the Breeders in mind I would imagine she won’t have beeen too much before that race.

If she arrives there in her best form I doubt if we have anything this time round that could beat her

AfleetTreet
    • Total Posts 41

Thanks for the warm welcome! :-)
    You are soooooooooo right about Zen! She is INCREDIBLE! Not sure if anyone has had a chance to see her before her races but she is a presence you simply CANNOT miss. Just Stunning! I agree there is very little that can beat her once she winds up to pounce she is as formidable as any horse I have seen!
    Rachel Alexandra on the other hand is a monster in her own right. To be as dominating as she is in her division and against the colts only suggests that if they manage her well and don’t over race her, she will be amonster next year too! I just wish Jackson would consider sending her to the BC despite his aversion to synthetic surfaces. Last year with Curlin left a bitter taste in his mouth BUT they didn’t go into that they way they should have…he should have shippe dlong before the races and actually ran over the surface (besides working out over it) to see how he handled it. He didn;t get stomped but was coming off a hard campaign where they asked him to run his best race over an unfamiliar sirface. I think that since Rachel carries her speed up front, they might be worried that she won’t be able to hold it. I digress. She has already won over synthetics and she is NOT Curlin…every horse responds differently to various situations and Rachel doesn’t even turn a hair with all the crowd chaos going on and is as professional as ever!
    I sure hope Sea the Stars comes over although I have heard veruylittle about him coming yet (of course that’s excat;ly why I am glad to have found your forum here so I can learn moere about the EUropean Tour de Forces that may be coming. I was so impressed with so many last year and of course am REALLY looking forward to seeing Goldi again. Also just heard today that Conduit will be coming back to defend his title. Any truth to that rumor??
    :D

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Hi

I came across this site this morning. If you go to the bottom of the page there is a link to a report on how many winners each sire has had on Santa Anita’s pro-ride surface since last September. Unfortunately, it doesn’t say how many runners each sire has had . . .

http://www.breedingwinners.com/reports.asp

Also, I gained the impression whilst drinking in the bar that a few of the races at last year’s BC meeting were won by horses that had recently been carrying highweights in G2 or G3 races (presumably as prep races for the BC). Does anyone know whether this is a regular phenomenon? I suppose I can always check it out for myself.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Few American horses carry high weights, 8.10 would be considered a real spinebender over there.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I used the term highweight instead of topweight, because I thought that is the term the Americans use.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

How much do their horses horse carry in comaprison of our Derby?

It’s something that never crossed my mind but I Zenyatta did carry 129 lbs recent 9st2lbs.

Surely it wouldn’t make a lot of difference to a huge filly like Zenyatta as long as they are meeting ours at levels or wfa?

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

It is 9-0 for the Triple Crown and the Breeder’s Cup.

For the Man O’War the weights were 8-4 and 8-8.

I think generally, hardly anything will ever carry more than 9-0

In the Santa Anita H’cap, Einstein was the highweight with 8-9.

The Vintner
    • Total Posts 110

Zenyatta did carry 129lbs in the Vanity, giving away a stone to the rest of the field.
    But yes it is rare to see horses carry more than 9st in US racing.

When Curlin carried 9-6 in that warm up race in Dubai a year ago, it was considered a BIG deal in the US. There were all sorts of worries that his back would break in two from the hefty impost.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra ge me hot under the collar. Jes Jackson being a sad git and not being prepard too take Rachel West too play is abit pathetic. Careless Jewel could give Rachel and Zenyatta something too play with, this filly really took my eye winning the other in a grade one at Saratoga having won a grade two earlier in the month, she is a front runner with form on the polytrack ( she is based at woodbine), i would day she is the second best three yearold filly in North America at the moment.

Quality Roads return is brillent, he bust the track record for seven and a half furlongs at Saratoga and looks like the only three yearold colt capable of running with Rachel.

The sprineters are much of a muchness on the east coast, Zensational looks a decent west coast sprinter if a little wayward, Bob Baffert is a master horseman and knows how too get a sprinter ready for the BC, this colt plenty of base speed, for an Unbridled Song he strikes me as a real racehorse, he has been given the time too mature and their looks more too come.

Gio Ponti proves what an under rated sire Tale Of the Cat is of turf horse, while i worry about the level of form through the euros he beat, he looks more than useful..

AfleetTreet
    • Total Posts 41

I just attended the Longacre’s Mile (a WIn and You’re In race for the BC) a couple weeks ago and the Mile winner, Assessment looked fabulous! They just announced that he is going to go to the Breeder’s Cup. He doesn’t show any decent wins over synthetics BUT they will ship him in early and perhaps run him in the Goodwood.

I just read today that Tiago (who came in 3rd in the Classic last year) is coming back with a Classic goal in mind.

I too hate that Jackson won’t give Rachel a chance. She is already a proven winner on synthetic and she is a such a classy filly she could handle it I am sure. Talk is that Zenyatta is supposedly going to take on the boys in the Classic as opposed to the Ladies Classic. If she does that Careless Jewel will be a danger in the Ladies Classic.

I am perhaps one of the only ones but I don’t think Rachel and Zen should ever have to meet. I say we enjoy them while we have them both and if they can both be champions at the same that is just fine by me.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I don’t know mate that’s like saying Denman and Kauto Star or Sea Buiscuit and War Admiral should never have met. Really these head to heads between Champions is what racing is all about. I suppose neither want to go that way as getting beat would do the loser no favours in future breeding value.

If it did happen I think it would be Zenyatta who would lose out simply because of the way she races…………..can’t imagine he catching Rachael giving her a start like she does others

AfleetTreet
    • Total Posts 41

It sure would be an exciting matchup but unless Zenyatta ships Jackson has stated Rachel will never run on the "plastics" as he calls them. Too bad because I think he is denying his filly a chance to prove she CAN do it…and win! She is really something before every race…just as cool as a cucumber whereas Zenyatta is a beast…she walks like a Tennessee Walking Horse and paws the ground as if taunting he ropponents. She is a character.

There is a Breeder’s Cup win and You’re in race at Del Mar this weekend Sunday) as well in the Pacific Classic. Whoever wins gains automatic berth into the Breeder’s CuP Classic. There are a few good horsesin there and it should be a good race. I am sort of anxious to see who wins. On our forum we try to keep track of all the Win and You’re In winners so we get a better idea as all the prep races are ran as to who may be coming and to which race. We have a local horse (Assessment, as mentioned above) that is going to the Dirt Mile so I am excited to at least have a "home team" (from Seattle) to root for…assuming he makes it inmtot he starting gate that is….*fingers crossed*

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I’ve added Mastercraftsman at 14s. He won’t mind the flat track and strong pace, so at that price i’m willing to have a nibble.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I think Rip Van Winkle if he turns up could win this with ease, as Raven’s Pass and Henrythenavigator showed, Europe have the advantage, and although Zenyatta impressed last year she would have to step up to beat Rip Van Winkle on what she beat, also STS won’t turn up now with the Arc being the set target and I th ink he’d even go for the Champion after the Arc.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

I think Rip Van Winkle if he turns up could win this with ease, as Raven’s Pass and Henrythenavigator showed, Europe have the advantage, and although Zenyatta impressed last year she would have to step up to beat Rip Van Winkle on what she beat, also STS won’t turn up now with the Arc being the set target and I th ink he’d even go for the Champion after the Arc.

Beware of Rail Trip :wink:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 233 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.