The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2008s juveniles for first croppers.

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks 2008s juveniles for first croppers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Just starting a thread for anyone inetersted in monitoring how this seasons first crop sires are getting on.

I noticed in the Brocklesby that one of One Cool Cats fillies KNAVESMIRE ran a decent third, I had disregarded it as I would have expected OCC as a Storm Cat to be a better sire with colts (even though his dam sire is Mr Prospector). Then today was in the bookies and noticed a gamble emerging on COOL TARIFA in the opener at the currragh. It won fairly easy.

Have just Checked on Cashmans website and they make OCC 4-1 second favorite (behind Exceed and Excel) to be Champion First Season Sire. Was hoping for better odds so that is not a bet for me, but will be watching his first crop this year with some interest as he seems to be hitting some good early developing fillies and his colts could potentially be smart. Will also be interesting to see if they can handle 6+7 furlongs later in the season.

Im hoping there will be some good prices available on OCCs progeny over the next few months, through many of them them being spread amongst the smaller yards.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Bulwark,

Below is a link to a topic i started on another forum..

http://talkinghorses.co.uk/forum/index. … opic=22614

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Bulwark,

Its something I find quite interesting Salse, you can get some decent prices from keeping on top of the new sires coming through, invincible spirit done me ok in 2006 and in 2007, noticed acclamation early last season too but can’t remember getting many of his in.

Cashmans always have a market running for leading first crop sire, thats why I checked with them, reckon OCC will probably win that this year but couldnt have 4-1 on a bet that will run for the full season, just dont have the patience.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Yes, quite a rewarding subject too if you have the time. EC used to regularly post breeding analysis on random 2 year old races to lay short priced favourites.

Anyone else stand out for you? I am very much looking forward to all the little Haafdh’s.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Yeah defintely looking forward to Haafhd, Im generally not a huge fan of Alhaarths but Haafhd was out of Al Bahathri and was as honest as they come (at Newmarket), and very good when on top form. Think we’ll hopefully start to see his first lot start to thrive in the 6f and 7f events later in the season.

Think Needwood Blade by Pivotal may do well in 5-6f events with cut in the ground, Kyllachy and Captain Rio have proved very good at this in the last few years. He had one in the opener at the curragh (Ah Joe) but think he just went to the front to soon and tired in the ground.

Can’t wait for next years first croppers, think Shamardal could prove really good at stud as he’s the best of Giants Causeways to date and is Machiavellian on his dam-side, which could prove a good cross. Also to a lesser extent- refuse to bend could be brilliant.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

I agree, next year’s first crop sires do look more interesting than this year’s, none more so than Avonbridge, an outstanding looking horse with great speed and consistency. His foals sold very well last autumn.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Refuse To Bends first crop are 2yos this year

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Refuse To Bends first crop are 2yos this year

Your right once again, I’m getting my years mixed up, time flies, less time to wait on that. Can’t believe Avonbridge is coming back round again next year, remember Steve Drowne picking him over Pastoral Persuits (gutted). Cashmans are quoting on Falbrav as a first season sire, is he not in his second year now?

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Yes, I think he is, although this is his first European crop.

Not sure that should count though.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

I’ll be following Exceed And Excel’s crop with great interest.

Shamardal are 2YOs as well, no? I’m focused primarily on his foals.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

I’ll be following Exceed And Excel’s crop with great interest.

Shamardal are 2YOs as well, no? I’m focused primarily on his foals.

Shamardal next year i think Matt.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Shamardal’s first crop was foaled in Australia in 2006, so he will have Southern Hemisphere 2yos later this year. A little bit like the Falbrav situation, he will count as a first season sire over here next year.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Thanks Sal, my bad.

When does the Australian season start? Did he cover many mares in the southern hemisphere in his first season?

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Season begins August 1 – however, expect the first 2YOs to be venturing onto the track in about September/October.

We recently concluded the second largest Yearling Sale in the Southern Hemisphere – the Magic Millions. When I get an opportunity I will check out what was on offer from Shamardal.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Bulwark,

Its something I find quite interesting Salse, you can get some decent prices from keeping on top of the new sires coming through, invincible spirit done me ok in 2006 and in 2007, noticed acclamation early last season too but can’t remember getting many of his in.

Cashmans always have a market running for leading first crop sire, thats why I checked with them, reckon OCC will probably win that this year but couldnt have 4-1 on a bet that will run for the full season, just dont have the patience.

I would love to know how much the bookies actually take on these type of markets.

Kheylef had a winner yesterday.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.