The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 274 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Frankel is not yet the finished article and he does not do everything perfectly but the important thing is that he wins and wins well. I think some people read a lot into what amounts to very little and pick up on a few negatives whilst forgetting the very many positives.

Quite true in my opinion Jonibake.

I think Mr Hannon had more problems with Canford Cliffs this time last year than what Mr Cecil has with Frankel … and we all know how Canford Cliffs turned out to be!

Frankel was only starting to get into his stride approaching the last furlong of the Greenham and the extra furlong in the 2000 Guineas will play to his strengths. I’m confident he’ll win the 2000.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve totally given up on this race now. We’re destined to have a single-number field and maybe even have only 7 runners. The 2 horses I was following are both injured and have absolutely no interest in just seeing a Dewhurst rematch.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

If he really just needed soft ground to work Wootton Bassett why did Burke not bring him to ireland for a couple of weeks. Must have been more of a problem than we know.

• Total Posts 660

This could be a good each way opportunity – 1/4 odds first 3 with a hot favourite. If it stays at 8 or more runners ante post and then drops to say 7 on the day the place terms will look very appealing on the second and third favourites.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Was thinking the same yesterday. Almost put £50EW on Dubai Prince…….

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Sounds a bit like sour grapes Zarkava! To my knowledge Pathfork, Native Khan and Fury didn’t run in the Dewhurst. Don’t give up on it just yet – should still be a great race.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

No sour grapes at all. I’m a horse racing fan first and foremost rather than a gambler, but with 4 horses having been ruled out over the past month, a lot of the gloss has been taken off the race for me.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Don’t suppose there are any underrated French horses that might slip under the radar this year?

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Gloss taken off it? You are easily disappointed. Peter Martins and Dubai Prince were outsiders at best. Shame about WB but we were warned.

Top 3 in the betting are still there and very likely best 3yr old colt will win.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

• Total Posts 1046

This year’s race is a desperate renewal as a betting contest and duly avoided.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

The withdrawals have certainly taken a certain amount of gloss off the race, especially Wootton Bassett, but calling the race a Dewhurst rematch is pushing things to the realms of fantasy.

Pathfork has long since looked Frankels most credible challenger, and arguably has better form, so i disagree the race has lost its lustre entirely. Pathfork each-way at 7’s looks a knocking bet to me.

• Total Posts 1982

I wouldn’t call this a desperate renewal.

There are still a plethora of good – potentially very good – colts left in the race, with many capable of tackling their elders later in the season, albeit over further.

However, the high profile absentees have taken some gloss off the event. There is a distinct lack of natural milers in the field and I doubt there is a serious challenger to Goldikova, Canford Cliffs and Dick Turpin in this race and, yes, I include Frankel in that assumption.

Pathfork and Saamidd, taking into consideration their efforts last season, will arguably prove the most natural over this trip, but you wouldn’t rule them out staying further on breeding.

In my opinion, the first three home in last years renewal – who would later become the top rated 3YO milers in the world – were / are a superior bunch to this lot over eight furlongs.

Makfi, Dick Turpin and Canford Cliffs were / are natural high class milers and proved it throughout last season. Even the fourth home that day, Xtension, maintained his form during the campaign and has since made an excellent start to his career in Hong Kong.

If the warm weather continues then you can count Dream Ahead out of the contest, too.

I doubt we will witness a Sussex Stakes or QEII winner emerge from this years renewal.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Thats a bold statement before many of them have even ran a race over a mile, and / or as a 3yo.

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

I see the racing post are reporting that frankels connections are running a pacemaker for him in the guineas, which im sure is just a ploy to put ballydoyle off running one. if they are serious lets hope he does a better job than picture editor in the greenham which was laughable considering he went so slow for the 1st half of the race, For me I think pace is key to frankel and if there is a strong pace in the guineas which it tends to be then I doubt frankel will have things all is own way

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I wouldn’t call this a desperate renewal.

There are still a plethora of good – potentially very good – colts left in the race, with many capable of tackling their elders later in the season, albeit over further.

However, the high profile absentees have taken some gloss off the event. There is a distinct lack of natural milers in the field and I doubt there is a serious challenger to Goldikova, Canford Cliffs and Dick Turpin in this race and, yes, I include Frankel in that assumption.

Pathfork and Saamidd, taking into consideration their efforts last season, will arguably prove the most natural over this trip, but you wouldn’t rule them out staying further on breeding.

In my opinion, the first three home in last years renewal – who would later become the top rated 3YO milers in the world – were / are a superior bunch to this lot over eight furlongs.

Makfi, Dick Turpin and Canford Cliffs were / are natural high class milers and proved it throughout last season. Even the fourth home that day, Xtension, maintained his form during the campaign and has since made an excellent start to his career in Hong Kong.

If the warm weather continues then you can count Dream Ahead out of the contest, too.

I doubt we will witness a Sussex Stakes or QEII winner emerge from this years renewal.

Wow – what a load of rubbish. You have lost all credibility with this ridiculous post Bos.

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

Wow – what a load of rubbish. You have lost all credibility with this ridiculous post Bos.

I don’t know which part you think is rubbish, but there’s no denying that last year was a boom year for 3yo milers. Makfi obviously had his problems but blitzed Canford Cliffs (who pulled) and Dick Turpin (no excuses) on good ground in the Guineas, then beat Goldikova on a wet track in France. Lope De Vega has temperament issues but beat Dick Turpin in the French Guineas, then won the French Derby handsomely. Canford Cliffs is a monster, and Dick Turpin is a class horse. It shouldn’t be a shock if this year doesn’t produce a miler as good as those four, though Frankel does look like a scary proposition…

Although it is quite early, I assume Bosranic has done his pedigrees and form to make such a statement?

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 274 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.