The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 274 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

What can I say except ‘I was there’, and that’s what I’ll be able to tell my grandchildren.

He looked so poor in the pre-parade ring, just so so poor, infinitely worse than at Newbury and went down to post sideways. When he gets on a course than you don’t need to go a mile to start the race and actually looks good in the paddock, goodness knows what he’ll do. It was an absolutely exceptional performance. Please god run in the July Cup.

I do however have slight doubts about how he’ll act against older horses. The ratings can’t be high, they just can’t be. Native Khan had looked poor in the Craven, Dubawi Gold’s been knocking around on the AW, 200/1 shot in 4th, Loving Spirit in 6th, etc.

My one big thing to take out of this is…just how bad a trainer is Saeed Bin Suroor? 2nd last, beat only the rag of the field home.

• Total Posts 638

I think all previous tactical analysis in horse racing should have a ‘bf’ suffix….before Frankel.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Today Frankel gave the wow factor, Whether you watched the race out of interest or had money on – he zoomed!

He tore apart a good field and claimed the race by the 4 F marker.

His cruising spead and turn of foot give him many options.

He does show wiling aggression form the front, so then why change successful tactics as I do not think it will bottom the horse. He’s in another league and he wants a true pace.

I think 3/1 Derby is a great bet!

He won’t be as aggressive and his turn of foot is lethal. Only how he stays calm in the preliminaries and stamina are queries but if he sits just off the pack he can quick to victory.

Not as good as STS yet – but it’s gonna be interesting!

I think Frankel can take in York meeting.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I think they should invent a new comment for what he did today. ‘Led’ doesn’t quite cover it…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As a race horse how does he compare with Sea the Stars?Which would win a mano a mano (head to head)over any distance from a mile to the Arc?

I know you want me to answer this question but I don’t quite understand it do you want to know which I think would win over every distance?

8f Frankel
    10f Frankel
    12f Depends how well Frankel stays.

All just my opinion of course. There’s no way Sea The Stars would’ve beaten Frankel yesterday but the rest of the season will answer other questions.

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

I think they should invent a new comment for what he did today. ‘Led’ doesn’t quite cover it…

Decent horses have wired fields by 10 lengths before. Top turf miler Sidney’s Candy in the USA and their old 12f horse Presious Passion.

None as good as Frankel though, though I’m not going overboard about the performance. I was annoyed that he was ridden out to the line (why do jockeys do that? Ryan Moore did the same with Workforce last year with the race wrapped up).
    His tail was whipping around approaching the post which I didn’t want to see, although Queally and Cecil say that he was idling. And the form of the race is questionable with all the pullouts… Native Khan looks the best one to look at and he’s always been expected to do his best over 10f and more.

I’ll need to look at the times to form a better idea. Can’t see any point comparing to STS at this early stage, especially since STS was best over 10f and 12f and didn’t like winning by margins.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

No I completely agree that the form is completely worthless & should be completely discounted for the others & maybe even Frankel when he takes on his elders, but I’d rather not dwell on that and just enjoy the performance.

Native Khan’s so stoutly bred that the fact he’s being beaten only 1/2L by a horse who ‘would’ve won the Guineas on the bridle without Frankel’ over a mile bodes very well for future runs over further. I have no idea what’s looking good over 10-12 furlongs in France (I’ll have a much better idea on Wednesday when the Arc entries are released) but he should absolutely be campaigned over there. Prix du Jockey Club, GP de Paris, then perhaps back here for the Voltigeur and Leger. Should stay the Leger trip, he’s got so much stamina on the dam side. Seville should also be competitive in the Leger, although actually I’m not sure he’ll be fast enough for it…unless he has a hint of class about him, he could be a 2+ miler.

Carlton House, Sea Moon, Nathaniel, Genius Beast, Marksmanship, Masked Marvel, Ocean War and Slumber all live contenders for the Leger I’d say.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Thank you Mr.PK.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

One noticeable thing that has tended to be overloooked is that Tom Queally quite deliberately took a slight pull on frankel midway during the race in order to give him a breather.

Having set a relentless gallop and being so far in front of the others, it was only natural that the horse might tire or idle in the closing stages.

Goldikova and Canford Cliffs are class animals, but does anyone really think that either would have beaten Frankel on that show yesterday ?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Goldikova and Canford Cliffs are class animals, but does anyone really think that either would have beaten Frankel on that show yesterday ?

Yesterday’s field was dismantled and left in a long trail of broken pieces :lol:

Difficult to say Himself since Goldikova and Canford Cliffs are formidable opposition but neither of them have come across a horse as dominant as Frankel. Canford Cliffs appears to have a more potent turn of foot than Goldikova.

I don’t think that Canford Cliffs could afford to allow Frankel get first run on him like Rip Van Winkle did in last year’s Sussex Stakes 8)

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

There are a lot of unknowns present, but I’ll say that I do think that those two could beat Native Khan by the same margin Frankel did.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

There are a lot of unknowns present, but I’ll say that I do think that those two could beat Native Khan by the same margin Frankel did.

Maybe so, but could they have beaten Frankel ? We may find out the answer to that later in the season.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 1982

Saamidd was lame Saturday night and this morning, reports Simon Crisford, and will be out for the ‘foreseeable future’.

A colt with so much ability – I hope we see him again. Has the frame to make up into a lovely 4YO.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Awesome indeed and what a result betting wise :D

Superb ride from Tom Queally and Mr Cecil outwhitted them all again with a master plan, far too much speed for a Derby horse though, hopefully that task will be left to World Domination. Will be interesting to see how Solar Sky runs at Goodwood on Thursday, hopefully will win doing the proverbial ‘hand stands’.

Despite taking the 50s EW (as posted on 26 Apr, i thought they would go off quickly and this one would pick them all up late on!) and also taking 20s on the day without the favourite with Stan James I cannot believe the FC paid £37!! I just did not think it would pay that much so left it alone :?

Anyway, a superb race to watch over and over again, as to the strength of the race, who knows and really does it matter? I think not as whoever had turned up on the day would not have got any closer to that flying machine.

Greatest race to watch in many a day. bring on the Epsom meeting now :D

360 degrees
    • Total Posts 161

Frankel/Queally certainly handed out a beating.

It’s not a 2000 Guineas I found satisfactory, though.

Much better if there’d been a ‘proper’ race between trying competitors. The rest, apart from 2nd & 3rd, just threw in their hands.

Oh well.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

How did Frankel’s time compare with previous winners? Is that fair question allowing for different going and race unfold?

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 703

How did Frankel’s time compare with previous winners? Is that fair question allowing for different going and race unfold?

Frankel’s race time was the third

slowest

in the last ten years. There was a significant crosswind and headwind all day. The times for all the races that day were slower than standard.

The times per furlong slower than standard were:

Race 1 – 0.46 seconds per furlong slower – Class 2 handicap – 9furlongs – 19 runners
    Race 2 – 0.43 seconds per furlong slower – Group 2 – 12 furlongs – 6 runners
    Race 3 – 0.23 seconds per furlong slower – Group1 – 8 furlongs – 13 runners (2000 Gns)
    Race 4 – 0.42 seconds per furlong slower – Group 3 – 5 furlongs – 15 runners
    Race 5 – 0.51 seconds per furlong slower – Class 2 Handicap – 6 furlongs – 6 runners
    Race 6 – 0.61 seconds per furlong slower – Listed – 10 furlongs – 7 runners
    Race 7 – 0.59 seconds per furlong slower – Class 2 Handicap – 8 furlongs – 8 runners

Simon Rowlands on his Timeform blog on Betfair said: “That evidence includes an outstanding final time, translating to a timefigure of 136. Only very good horses can run times like that. Surely only a true great could run one having gone so fast so early. ”

Nick Mordin said on his website: “… clocked times that would win top Group 1 sprints for the first five, six and seven furlongs.”

Various others have said similar things, although I am sure that there will be some who are not so convinced about his speed.

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 274 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.