The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 274 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

It is just like yesterday when the press and the Forum were wondering if StS would stay the Derby. Being by Cape Cross it was assumed before the Derby that he would be best at a mile. Have you forgotten so soon?

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Three horses already proven in French Group 1’s as two year olds:

Wootton Bassett – "Not ready for the 2000 Guineas", going for French Guineas?
    Dream Ahead – "Too firm", going for French guineas?
    Roderic O’Connor – Freindless in the market, is he going to the French Guineas too???

Coincidence? Or running scared of Frankel?

Value Is Everything
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

What would you do?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Roderic’s little walk in the market is a bit ominous looking

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Dream Ahead is out.

Read full story at http://www.davidsimcock.co.uk

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Or running scared of Frankel?

Kinda looks that way doesn’t it? :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I was going to goto Newmarket but I’m not going to bother now, absolute farce even thought I understand the horses needs come first and injuries can not be helped.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

We’ve created fan pages for the leading 2,000 Guineas contenders. You can access them here and add comments, info, pedigrees, etc.

Frankel

Pathfork

Casamento

Native Khan

Saamidd

Fury

Roderic O’Connor

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

To be fair on David Simcock, I do think ground issues are the issue with Dream Ahead, but Wooton and (possibly) Roderic I am sceptical.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

I’m really loooking forward to the 2,000 Guineas on Saturday and as Newmarket is my local course will be there to cheer Frankel home. If he runs anything like he did in the Dewhurst last October I think he will turn the Guineas into a procession.
    Sadly I’m not a big enough punter to put thousands down on him, but if I was I would..go Frankel. :wink: x

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I will not be surprised to see more withdrawals before Saturday.
    Dream Ahead’s non-participation was half expected. I cannot envisage anything but a Frankel victory and will be shocked if he gets turned over.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

What is the latest on Roderic O’Connor? I keep seeing vailed references to him.Is he running or running scared? Aidan said the other one was going to Kentucky.

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

I would be surprised if Roderic didnt run especially when last week Aidan said Ryan Moore was going to ride him.

Beside When has Ballydoyle/Coolmore been scared of one horse???? Its not there style never has been,considering when they ruled Zoffany out of the race when he was one of the ones I thought had a very good chance.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I know but somebody said he was drifting alarmingly in the market.Has there been a problem with his prep?By the way I was surprised that Murtagh was not sought for Native Khan.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Is Murtagh not available to ride for Ballydoyle as the "best available on the day"? I know he has no contract but I would assume that they are still doing business as professionals.Does he have a ride in the Guineas? They are using all the old guys,Spencer and Fallon when available it seems.Was Murtagh’s passing different? I am still in shock when I think of all the Ascot winners he rode for them.I guess if the Forthy Niners could dump Joe Montana anyone can dump anyone.Loyalty is just a word.

• Total Posts 174

Is Murtagh not available to ride for Ballydoyle as the "best available on the day"? I know he has no contract but I would assume that they are still doing business as professionals.

I imagine they are currently still quite miffed with Murtagh, and will take some months of cooling off before they are willing to use him again. Even though they had made conditions difficult for him, and AOB didn’t want him riding out in the mornings at Ballydoyle anymore, and were possibly thinking of ending it themselves, it is another thing for him to have the "gall" to leave Coolmore of his own accord. Plus the speed with which he turned around and signed a contract with the Aga Khan…another kick in the Coolmore rear.

By the way I was surprised that Murtagh was not sought for Native Khan.

Big fan of Murtagh, but I think they were smart to go for Peslier, because Native Khan’s next target should be the Jockey Club, and so Peslier makes sense for the longer-term target.

• Total Posts 174

Regarding all the withdrawals, and whether it is even a worthwhile contest anymore…

Yes, it is a shame to have lost Wootton Bassett, Dubai Prince and Dream Ahead – all could have been conceivable winners.

But first remember that the one of the most hyped and anticipated juveniles in recent history is still in the race; seriously, the biggest blow to the race would be if Frankel himself didn’t make it. Next, three other major G1-winning juveniles from last season (Casamento, Pathfork, ROC) are still in, and all should theoretically give Frankel a good challenge. Well, maybe less so for Casamento who would not be running if not for Dubai Prince’s absence, but still a good horse, just short of his ideal distance. Too-short-a-distance may also apply to Native Khan, but the fast ground & pacemaker will make him all the more competitive. Saammidd also didn’t like the soft ground in the Dewhurst and should be decent on the firm.

Quite a decent race, I think.

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 274 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.