The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 guineas 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 guineas 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 244 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

It could be that Richard Pankhurst was owned by Mrs Gosden hence the sale might have been made with the codicil that the horse stayed with JHG but either way round it is a bonus!! My only worry is the Chesham is not renowned for throwing up group one winners.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

It could be that Richard Pankhurst was owned by Mrs Gosden hence the sale might have been made with the codicil that the horse stayed with JHG but either way round it is a bonus!! My only worry is the Chesham is not renowned for throwing up group one winners.

That may indeed have been a condition of the sale Raymo.

I wouldn’t worry much about the race trend. The form looks solid enough and Richard Pankhurst burst through in impressive style to win it. He gave the impression that there is more to come with experience, looking some way from the finished article that day.

There’s been a wee tickle on him this week, the 20/1 is gone and at 16/1 he is readily preferred to John F Kennedy, who is as low as a ridiculous 10/1, despite the trainer telling the world that the horse is staying in Ireland to race over further than a mile in Derby trials.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Was there a reason as to why Richard Pankhurst was so lightly raced as a two year old?
    I recall Gosden saying something about him having a temperature but a drop of lemsip would of cleared that.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

I like lightly raced two year olds. You don’t get many superstars that are heavily ran as two year olds.
    Don’t mention drugs and Godolphin horses in the same sentence Nathan :whistle:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Was there a reason as to why Richard Pankhurst was so lightly raced as a two year old?
    I recall Gosden saying something about him having a temperature but a drop of lemsip would of cleared that.

The last I saw was him entered in the Solario Stakes at Sandown late August Nathan. He was one of 14 entries but the field was cut down to six runners with “connections decided not to take up the engagement” being given as the reason Richard Pankhurst didn’t run.

He was pencilled in to run in the colours of Sheikh Mohammed’s Son that day but now seems to be a Godolphin owned horse.

I am assuming there was a setback of some sort, maybe the horse sneezed. Hopefully a nice Night Nurse got him back into shape and there won’t be a Comedy Of Errors come Guineas day.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Money still coming for Richard Pankhurst, best price 14/1 now and 4 firms go 10/1.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

It’s a horrible name.Doesn’t deserve to win with a name like that.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

It’s a horrible name.Doesn’t deserve to win with a name like that.

They can’t all be called Neddy Moe.

Richard Pankhurst was a man I can only dream of hoping to emulate in even the smallest way. Here is a brief summary:-

Following qualification he was a founder member of the Manchester Liberal Association, although he was subsequently to fall out with the Liberals. He campaigned for multiple causes, including free speech, universal free secular education, republicanism, home rule for the Irish, independence for India, nationalisation of land, the disestablishment of the Church of England and the abolition of the House of Lords. He established a National Society for Women’s Suffrage, drafted the Women’s Disabilities Removal Bill (the first women’s suffrage bill in England) and was author of the bill which became the Married Women’s Property Act (1882) which gave wives absolute control over their property and earnings.

He married Emmeline Goulden, better known as Emmeline Pankhurst, who was some 24 years younger than he was, in 1878. With her, he was instrumental in establishing the Independent Labour Party. Together they formed the Women’s Franchise League in 1889. They were part of a political circle which included Keir Hardie, Annie Besant, William Morris and George Bernard Shaw.

Anything that might raise awareness of his efforts is fine by me. I hope the horse wins and people ask questions about where the name came from.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

I hope he wins so I can say I picked the right maiden race but got the wrong horse…. :whistle:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

At least I have backed something ante post that is a seriously shorter price now!!

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

We will get an idea how the Obrien string is doing tomorrow when Easter and the racing post trophy forth,Jacobean run. There will be the now ritual gallop of the top horses after racing so we can see how the classic generation look. Aiden told kevin Blake on atr that the weather has been good at Tipperary and the string are fairly well forward. Maybe one of the reasons gleneagles has come in for so much support. Going heavy at the curragh so wouldn’t take the runnings as true indications of horses form. Ryan Moore riding aobs horses tomorrow which may give you an idea they are expecting good runs from their horses.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

Has anyone heard anything regarding the O’Brien pair Ol Man River and Highland Reel? Are either being targeted at the Guineas or are they more likely to run in Derby trials at the likes of Chester, York and Lingfield? I know John F Kennedy is going down the Derby route, I presume he’ll run in the Derrinstown?

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

Highland Reel is being targeted at the 2000gns,while Ol Man River could well join him(along with Gleneagles) before being stepped up for a tilt at The Derby.

That was A’OB after the Curragh ‘gallops’ yesterday,also stated Sir Issac Newton could be in 2000gns mix

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

John Gosden has stated that Faydhan will probably run in the Free Handicap, although he also holds a Greenham entry.

Mystiko was the last colt to win the Free Handicap/Guineas double and that was 24 years ago, so on the trends you wouldn’t be too keen but it wouldn’t put me off his chances.

They want to start him at 7f rather than the mile of The Craven and I suppose they have to juggle Richard Pankhurst for Godolphin and outsider Fannaan was said to be likely to contest one of the trials if all went well this spring.

Richard Pankhurst continues to attract money and varies from 12/1 down to 8/1 at the moment.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

As long as JHG gets Richard there fit and well that will do for me (on at 25/1). I think we might see more light when they run the trials. They tend to get rid of horses rather than point towards one. I am sure the O’Brien battalions will turn up come the day.
    I was actually having another look at the race last night and I thought Kodi Bear could be a lively outsider having looked a little unlucky behind The Wow Signal at Ascot and then running well behind Belardo having had to make the running. I know the likelihood of Clive Cox training a classic winner is maybe a stretch but it does have decent form.

Participant
    • Total Posts 34

I reckon Highland Heel has all the right credentials for the 2000 and at 10/1 looks a steal especially if as likely Ryan Moore will be the jockey on the day aboard. I am struggling with the 1000 although Found and Together Forever look appealing I think there are many other good possibilities at decent prices including 33’s about Qualifying especially if it is fast ground at Newmarket. The Oaks looks like an O’Brien field again bit to early to call and the Derby Coolmore line up looks good but I was taken by the John Gosden horse Christopher Marlow this morning so was on at 33’s and was in the middle of my laying a few bets when lo and behold the site flashed up an alert saying that the price had just changed from 33’s to 25 so my last couple fell short but it indicates some good money being taken for this horse and he is joint owned by Michael Tabor and Rachel Hood. This horse has already won at Epsom and looks interesting and worth a punt. Watch out for Sir Isaac Newton on paper he has the right credentials but still has to a do lot more but at 20’s I fancy him more than I do Ol’Man River and my gut says SIN will take his place in the field where as I have my doubts over the OMR horse.

Last year I nailed Taghrooda and Dazzling early on for the Oaks as my ones to watch and it came together nicely but delayed my punt so only got 25’s when Steve Caution mentioned the horse on the forum as well convincing me to go for it. So Steve what is your fancy this time around?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I reckon Highland Heel has all the right credentials for the 2000 and at 10/1 looks a steal especially if as likely Ryan Moore will be the jockey on the day aboard. I am struggling with the 1000 although Found and Together Forever look appealing I think there are many other good possibilities at decent prices including 33’s about Qualifying especially if it is fast ground at Newmarket. The Oaks looks like an O’Brien field again bit to early to call and the Derby Coolmore line up looks good but I was taken by the John Gosden horse Christopher Marlow this morning so was on at 33’s and was in the middle of my laying a few bets when lo and behold the site flashed up an alert saying that the price had just changed from 33’s to 25 so my last couple fell short but it indicates some good money being taken for this horse and he is joint owned by Michael Tabor and Rachel Hood. This horse has already won at Epsom and looks interesting and worth a punt. Watch out for Sir Isaac Newton on paper he has the right credentials but still has to a do lot more but at 20’s I fancy him more than I do Ol’Man River and my gut says SIN will take his place in the field where as I have my doubts over the OMR horse.

Last year I nailed Taghrooda and Dazzling early on for the Oaks as my ones to watch and it came together nicely but delayed my punt so only got 25’s when Steve Caution mentioned the horse on the forum as well convincing me to go for it. So Steve what is your fancy this time around?

I don’t have as strong a fancy as I had for the Oaks and Taghrooda last year.

I like Jellicle Ball as a horse who could be seriously better than shown so far but I am not sure she’ll get the Oaks trip on pedigree. She won in very taking style.

I can’t have Found for the 1000 Guineas, hand on heart she looks more like an Oaks filly and her odds are way short. She is rightly favourite for Epsom on known form though.

Together Forever disappointed on her first three starts but got going in good style on her last three. The only question is whether her most improved form came because of the soft ground on her final run of the season. Given the same conditions she might still be open to further improvement but I just wonder how she will cope back on a faster surface this year.

One of the horses who impressed me most last year was Beautiful Romance, who is a strapping daughter of New Approach. The race she won probably didn’t amount to much but she won by nine lengths in terrific style. Sadly for me, being in Godolphin’s hands puts me off her making the expected progress this year. Godolphin have had so many similarly profiled horses who have disappointed in recent seasons, Folk Melody being a typical example last season.

Aiden O Brien’s Words impressed me on her one start last year but she’s had niggling little problems that have kept her off the track since then and it was reported she might not be ready for the 1000 Guineas.

Martyn Meade’s filly Irish Rookie won at a whopping 50/1 on her debut but she proved it was no fluke when winning a listed race, again at Newmarket, over a mile second time up. By Azamour I would expect her to progress further this year and I had a small tickle at 66/1 for the 1000 Guineas. The trainer is a bit unsure if she will get the Oaks trip but I think she’ll get ten furlongs at least. She’ll have to find a stone over the winter to bring her form into the right ballpark but I felt she was a dark horse for a fun investment.

Ol’ Man River seems weak in the Guineas betting and indications seem to be that Highland Reel is the main support to favourite Gleneagles. Joseph O’ Brien stated that Ol’ Man River could have dropped back in trip after his Beresford win over a mile, so you wouldn’t think he lacks the toe for Newmarket. Somewhat oddly, for a horse whose two 2yo runs were both at a mile, the trainer is not convinced he’ll definitely stay the Derby trip. I’m not really getting a good vibe about the horse at this stage.

Highland Reel stormed to victory on his second start and I backed him for the Derby afterwards. Dropped back in trip he had plenty enough speed for the 7f at Goodwood and won well. However, that race has worked out pretty terribly and even at 12/1 with a few firms, he doesn’t appeal to me.

Christophermarlowe was impressive enough in his two races but the second one didn’t amount to much in all probablility. His sire Tapit, seems more of a US racing influence than anything else so far. I did wonder if they might have aimed him at The Kentucky Derby because I know Michael Tabor is a big fan of that race. You would doubt that Gosden is the type of trainer to have the horse primed to run for his life early in May though. He’s just that bit removed from what I would be looking for in a Derby contender.

Ralph Beckett’s Chemical Charge is a colt I am looking forward to seeing again this season. He was two from two last year and the bare form isn’t much but he’s by Sea The Stars and I expect big improvement when he steps up in trip to a mile and a half, maybe even the Leger trip. Another dark horse I want to keep an eye on, along with Roger Charlton’s Ooty Hill, a fine looking grey horse by Dubawi who won his only start and has all the classic signs of being a big improver for time and more distance. The trainer has sounded a note of caution that he will not rush the horse because he reckons he’s the ideal type to make a smashing four year old.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.