The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 guineas 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 guineas 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 244 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Brean would be in that vicinity Ginge, towards Burnham on Sea.
    I’m Taunton born and bred about 45 minute drive from Weston. There is a pure ginger haired donkey at Weston beach called Mark(true story), but it has next to no chance of winning with me aboard Ted mind you, however it could be value for a place at 250/1.
    Are you going Lockinge day Mark or are still away on your vacation, if you are at Newbury I’ll bring you a proper jug of scrumpy to get down your neck.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

We used to have family holidays at Clevedon; used to get there on the Yatton Special from Weston Super Sludge [as my dad called it].

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Nice work, Steve. Winner looks a very professional racehorse, but everything went his way today. Not saying he won’t turn out a real champ, but would just be a bit wary until I see him underline this form.

BTW, Fabre’s plan was for Territories to miss the break as he wanted him tucked in.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stevecaution wrote:</div>

My gut feeling is that Gleneagles and Territories will fight the finish out here and I doubt there will be much between them.

Pi55 easy game this ;-)

I take my hat off to you Steve, I hope you had the forecast. Gleneagles looked in a different class, it makes me wonder why I keep looking for alternatives to the obvious best horse, trained by the trainer most likely to win, and ridden by the best flat jockey on the planet.

I don’t know what Dettori was doing at the start with Moheet, he seemed to lose ground and switched behind horses to the stand rails. This put him last and when he did ask for something 3 furlongs out, he did improve quickly but then veered towards the middle before bumping into another horse, and that was that.

I did put Night Of Thunder up last year at 40/1…..maybe I’ve had my 15 mins of fame :-(

Dettori lost an iron leaving the stalls and was without it for two furlongs. He reported that the horse also became unbalanced.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Nice work, Steve. Winner looks a very professional racehorse, but everything went his way today. Not saying he won’t turn out a real champ, but would just be a bit wary until I see him underline this form.

BTW, Fabre’s plan was for Territories to miss the break as he wanted him tucked in.

Maybe didn’t quite want to miss it by that margin though Joe, any slower out and he’d have been another Grand Jesture. Cheers Joe.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Brean would be in that vicinity Ginge, towards Burnham on Sea.

Is there another place slightly up the coast Nathan, where you dispose of the Peacock Ante-Post tickets?

Burn’em At Sea

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Just posted off my Judd Trump vouchers up there this minute Steve.

And here’s TRF members at their daily visit to Burn’em At Sea.
    Today we BigG with his Moheet voucher, Nathan with his Peacock voucher, SteveCaution with his competition selections, Triptych with Kool Kompany, ginger is burning wasted value points vouchers should of gone to Asda and Joni has arrived a day early with all of his 1000 guineas slips.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

Well done Steve!! the winner looks a very nice horse. Good to see someone get it absolutely right!!!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Well done Steve!! the winner looks a very nice horse. Good to see someone get it absolutely right!!!

I fancied Gleneagles to run well but didn’t have a penny on him Raymo. Looked at him when money first started coming in January but left it alone. Thereafter he was always too short and after deciding on Territories at 7/1 I’d fired too many bullets to take the massive 4/1 on offer as cash came for Ol’ Man River, Estidhkaar and Intilaaq who went off short but all ran poorly.

I had the 2nd last year at 9/1 and now 2nd and 3rd this year at 7/1 and 20/1. Just The Judge second at 20/1 in the 1000 Guineas recently and Secret Gesture second in the Oaks at 25/1 the same year. There’s a pattern developing here, will see if it continues tomorrow in the 1000 G. I’d rather do two to win than one each-way and it’s a frustrating policy :-(

Participant
    • Total Posts 13253

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigG wrote:</div>

My gut feeling is that Gleneagles and Territories will fight the finish out here and I doubt there will be much between them.

Pi55 easy game this ;-)

I take my hat off to you Steve, I hope you had the forecast. Gleneagles looked in a different class, it makes me wonder why I keep looking for alternatives to the obvious best horse, trained by the trainer most likely to win, and ridden by the best flat jockey on the planet.

I don’t know what Dettori was doing at the start with Moheet, he seemed to lose ground and switched behind horses to the stand rails. This put him last and when he did ask for something 3 furlongs out, he did improve quickly but then veered towards the middle before bumping into another horse, and that was that.

I did put Night Of Thunder up last year at 40/1…..maybe I’ve had my 15 mins of fame :-(

Dettori lost an iron leaving the stalls and was without it for two furlongs. He reported that the horse also became unbalanced.

Thanks Joe, I hadn’t heard anything about that, I was out from just after the race. It explains a lot and probably his chance went in the first couple of furlongs. To be honest I don’t think he would have beaten Gleneagles, but I did think he had a cracking e/w shout.

I have no idea if they might give him a crack at the Derby, he would most likely get the trip having won his maiden running on strongly over a mile, and in the Craven he was held up before doing his best over the last couple of furlongs. I suppose if you consider what happened early on today, he did not too badly to finish 8th. I know his maiden at Salisbury was not the strongest, but it was the way he absolutely destroyed them that made me put him in the mental notebook, and I think he is probably better than he showed in the Craven. I wouldn’t risk anything on him until there was maybe some indication he was being strongly considered, or his odds (33/1) started dropping, but he just may be better over 1m4f than he has shown over the mile, that makes him interesting.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13253

Just posted off my Judd Trump vouchers up there this minute Steve.

And here’s TRF members at their daily visit to Burn’em At Sea.
    Today we BigG with his Moheet voucher, Nathan with his Peacock voucher, SteveCaution with his competition selections, Triptych with Kool Kompany, ginger is burning wasted value points vouchers should of gone to Asda and Joni has arrived a day early with all of his 1000 guineas slips.

Nathan, I like to think of it as my way of redistributing wealth back into the community.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

I’m not aftertiming as you can see if you scroll back in this thread but I couldn’t believe the price of Gleneagles. Gleneagles was 6/4 not long ago then a maiden winner and a horse he (Gleneagles) had already beaten were added to the race and suddenly he was 4/1. Crazy as he was when he was 10/1 ante post. I hope I’m not the only one on here that took that price. It seems as a horse he’s under-rated by many, probably not now after today. Superb performance.

Ol’ Man River – why was a horse bred for more stamina not race more prominantly? Looked like a prep run to me but he went out like a light.

Participant
    • Total Posts 34

O’Brien, whose other runner Ol’ Man River never looked comfortable and finished last of the 18 runners,O’Brien, whose other runner Ol’ Man River never looked comfortable and finished last of the 18 runners,

For a horse that raced its first 2 races division to be held up at the back doesn’t make any sense until you understand the Ballydoyle set up. The fact that Glen Eagles gives the breeding line a massive boost for the miler generation as they already have for the mile and half. The money Glen eagles will make for stud duties alone is phenomenal when he retires. If Ol’ Man River had won it wouldn’t have been as lucrative so for Ballydoyle it was important to get Glen Eagles past the post first. Forget prize money its pin money to these guys unlike to some other owners. This is a stud racing business pure and simple. Onto Ol’ Man River he was given a hold up lesson to see if they could teach him to settle in race conditions. Horses in the wild run in packs and it is in the genes that the horse running at the back are the first likely prey for the wild cats & hyhenas. When a horse is galloping it is thinking don’t let me get eaten first so they bunch together, same as a lot of other animals in the wild. So Ol’ Man River was clearly not ridden to his strengths which begs the question why not unless this was not his intended race to win, he raced over good firm ground before and also in an 18 horse race before so this was not his undoing and he wasn’t reported as being unwell afterwards that I know of. Unless someone else have any ideas this was Ol Man River’s prep race for something else.

Participant
    • Total Posts 34

I am happy with Glen Eagles win and was on at 25/1 with William Hill back in August last year and the valued lesson I learnt is if you leave it to the new season the prices on the likely players will plummet if they are any good, so for a few quid you get on at good prices but you feel a right mug when they get pulled as well as I did with Highland Reel whom I was convinced was the better of the pair and I took at 10;s in August with the same bookmaker. The key is to put yourself in the owner and trainers shoes as to the likelihood of matching the horse with the race then watching their prep races. This is I am sure why Steve does so well and congratulations in identifying the 1-2

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

O’Brien, whose other runner Ol’ Man River never looked comfortable and finished last of the 18 runners,O’Brien, whose other runner Ol’ Man River never looked comfortable and finished last of the 18 runners,

For a horse that raced its first 2 races division to be held up at the back doesn’t make any sense until you understand the Ballydoyle set up. The fact that Glen Eagles gives the breeding line a massive boost for the miler generation as they already have for the mile and half. The money Glen eagles will make for stud duties alone is phenomenal when he retires. If Ol’ Man River had won it wouldn’t have been as lucrative so for Ballydoyle it was important to get Glen Eagles past the post first. Forget prize money its pin money to these guys unlike to some other owners. This is a stud racing business pure and simple. Onto Ol’ Man River he was given a hold up lesson to see if they could teach him to settle in race conditions. Horses in the wild run in packs and it is in the genes that the horse running at the back are the first likely prey for the wild cats & hyhenas. When a horse is galloping it is thinking don’t let me get eaten first so they bunch together, same as a lot of other animals in the wild. So Ol’ Man River was clearly not ridden to his strengths which begs the question why not unless this was not his intended race to win, he raced over good firm ground before and also in an 18 horse race before so this was not his undoing and he wasn’t reported as being unwell afterwards that I know of. Unless someone else have any ideas this was Ol Man River’s prep race for something else.

I watched Ol’ Man River’s first two races live and have seen them numerous times since. He raced mid-division in his maiden and came through to take it up in the closing stages. In the Gp2 Beresford he sat 4th of the six runners and again came through to take it up in the closing stages.

I can understand why some people may think they should have made more use of the horse, as the Derby favourite, but they have always said he isn’t short of pace and Aiden has said several times that he’s not convinced the horse will stay a mile and a half.

Ol’ Man River’s style so far has been to sit in behind and take it up on the run in, so I see no problem with doing that again in the Guineas. He’d won on similar ground as you say, so it can’t have been that. My first thought was that he just hasn’t trained on and he’s got zero chance in the Derby as far as I am concerned.

The early season vibes were not good for Ol’ Man River and he drifted to worrying odds, suggesting that he wasn’t going to be running. they probably wish they hadn’t run him now. He went off 6/1, which was a crazy price compared to his stable mate at 4/1, when the latter horse had been 6/4 at one stage. All that happened to Ol’ Man River was that he replaced Highland Reel as Gleneagles’ company on the way to Newmarket, yet his odds collapsed in as if he had just hosed in a trial for the race.

I expected Ol’ Man River to have enough speed to be competitive in the Guineas but my realistic expectation was that he might emerge from the race having enhanced his prospects for Epsom. I had a small wager on Ol’ Man River for the Guineas, more in the anticipation that a soft ground renewal may play to a Derby type’s strengths and blunt some of the more obvious milers. For the past couple of months I had had the feeling he wasn’t showing the right sort of form at home and going into yesterday’s race Gleneagles was readily preferred, particularly at the odds.

I don’t think there was any agenda regarding sires or tactics and the way the draw panned out and the manner in which Ol’ Man River was ridden meant he was never a sacrificial lamb for Gleneagles to feast on.

I hope Ol’ Man River bounces back but it won’t be in the Derby and that could almost have been a season ending run yesterday, if not a career buster. You have heard of cars that can quickly go from 0-60, equally, there seem to be horses whose ratings go from 100-60 in a similar space of time.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I’m not aftertiming as you can see if you scroll back in this thread but I couldn’t believe the price of Gleneagles. Gleneagles was 6/4 not long ago then a maiden winner and a horse he (Gleneagles) had already beaten were added to the race and suddenly he was 4/1. Crazy as he was when he was 10/1 ante post. I hope I’m not the only one on here that took that price. It seems as a horse he’s under-rated by many, probably not now after today. Superb performance.

Ol’ Man River – why was a horse bred for more stamina not race more prominantly? Looked like a prep run to me but he went out like a light.

Certainly no aftertiming involved IB, you couldn’t have been more bullish about the horse for a long time now and highlighted the value in his odds several times. Bang on the money in everything you said about the horse and I hope you skinned a couple of bookies along the way.

Well done with that one, I hit the post and the crossbar and missed a penalty kick but that’s horse racing for you, it’s just not cricket but you get that in boxing Harry. :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 34

Ol’ Man River’s style so far has been to sit in behind and take it up on the run in, so I see no problem with doing that again in the Guineas.

I agree with that but what I can’t fathom was he never even got to mid division he was held up at the back, if he had been midfield he may have stood a small chance f a run as per his previous 2 races but to be at the rear of the field there was almost no chance to get through the field. Its not like he even made a move to get to mid division unless I am wrong he was never in the race. It was likely an education prep for the horse.

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.