The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2 Match Ban for Wayne Rooney

Home Forums General Sports 2 Match Ban for Wayne Rooney

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Come on EUFA/FIFA, let us see some consistency.

Ferguson has already agreed with the stance taken over Eduardo and stated that players falling and claiming penalties for fouls that weren’t should be punished by at least a 2 match ban.

The pathetic tumble followed by the shouty waving of hands in the air claiming the penalty are as close to a signed statement of guilt as you can get in this game.

Quite comical considering his strenuous denials of diving following the Arsenal game when questioned by the press.

Cue a cringeworthy silence from beetroot face’s office in the stadium of silence…

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25871

It would probably be an issue for the English FA to look at as it happened in the Premiership whereas Eduardo’s was in a European match so i dont think UEFA/FIFA will get involved unless Platini sticks his anti English beak in.

Member since March 2008
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

It was a foul; the Slovenian player did have a bit of Rooney’s shirt in his grasp. Not for long and not with any great effect, but he pulled his shirt – and that’s a foul. True, Rooney went down a little too easily and the punishment didn’t fit the crime – but that’s often the case in sport. The ref saw the shirt-pull; FIFA are trying to crack down on shirt-pulling this season (even when committed on English players). so the letter of the law was applied.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25871

It would probably be an issue for the English FA to look at as it happened in the Premiership whereas Eduardo’s was in a European match so i dont think UEFA/FIFA will get involved unless Platini sticks his anti English beak in.

Ignore my post as i thought it was the United/Arsenal game :oops: I’m a bit behind the times and did not watch the England game yesterday.

Member since March 2008
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6212

It was 50/50, both seemed guilty of some offence and the award was down to the referee’s opinion, which is what counts in the end like it or not.

After many castigated a player for a blatant dive in an earlier game am I now led to understand that if the referee gives a foul when he shouldn’t then the player benefitting is always to blame?

It might nice to think a situation is black and white but that isn’t the case, there are varying shades of grey.

Rob

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Rooney had a handful of the Slovenian’s shirt and made very effort to lean in to him – in no way, shape or form was it a penalty.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Coming from a still very bitter Arsenal fan, I remain impartial and have to say that it was not a dive. It was not a penalty either, and was just a poor decision by the referee.

As things stand, the banning punishment only seems to apply in CL and Europa cup games, so even if Rooney’s collapse was more theatrical, it still wouldn’t register with UEFA, although that, like a lot of things, hasn’t been made clear yet….

Interestingly, this ‘new’ banning punishment for diving is anything but….

It’s been in place for the last FOUR years :lol:

I hate playing the persecution card, but I’ve never known anything like it to be honest.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

So there we have it, a resounding victory and agreement that it wasn’t a penalty, Rooney dived better than Tom Daley and if Ferguson had the balls he’d be screaming to the press that his star player should be banned for a couple of matches for cheating the referee, with only 20% of the vote saying otherwise, it can only be.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

So this is where we are now…..

UEFA have now stated that Eduardo’s punishment of a two game ban will be a ‘one off’ and any future incidents of the like will not result in a two match ban for the guilty party.

So Platini, prompted by few angry scotsman on UEFA , punish Eduardo with a ban for diving without looking at any evidence whatsoever, then realise what a mess they’ve got themselves into with all the precedents that will undoubtedly be set, resulting in a complete cop out and further embarrassment.

Meanwhile, all the persistent diving offenders are given the green light to resume their routine cheating.

You really couldn’t have wrote this shower o’ shyte.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

And here we are again – Serial diver Rooney dives again and gets booked with no complaints about it for himself or Fergie and, true to their xenophobic form, Match of the Day completely cover up the incident and it goes without a mention. Any other (foreign) player would be highlighted and subsequently destroyed by the tabloids at the first opportunity. Pure, blatant censorship of the highest order. Disgraceful.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.