The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

1971 Scottish Grand National – Tipperwood?

Home Forums Horse Racing 1971 Scottish Grand National – Tipperwood?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 55

A long shot so to speak, but does anyone have any information about the runners in the race. I know Young Ash Leaf won the race, but from my childhood memory I seem to remember a horse called Tipperwood that also ran. I could be completely wrong as I was only nine at the time but this horse, if it even existed built up big leads and tried to hold on. I seem to remember in this race the same thing happened and Young Ash Leaf past this horse and went onto win.
    Any information at all on this race would be great. All I can find is the winner.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4923

I’ve searched the on-line free Times Archive which runs up to 1985.

Tipperwood was indeed one of 22 runners, trained by harry Bell and ridden by Pat McCarron. The Times from the following Monday only gives the first three places but Tipperwood was amongst them:

1st Young Ash Leaf 12-1
    2nd Tipperwood 7-1
    3rd Jedheads 25-1

Gay Trip was the 4-1 favourite.

Google Glasgow Herald archive is often useful for Scottish racing records but unfortunately there no issue in the archive for the relevant dates.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 55

Thanks very much for this Rob.
    It’s been such a long time, and at an age, I wondered if I had made this all up.
    Thanks for sending this through.
    Tipperwood might have been second favourite at those prices.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4923

Glad I could help. I was generally fairly strong on remembering names from that era but Tipperwood was one that escaped me, though I can remember most of those runners in the Scottish National field.

If ever you need to know anything about races from 1985 and earlier the free Times Archive is excellent. There’s a good search facility which ties down the relevant sections quite easily. Aside from all else there were some good general articles and many of the same themes came up in the 60s as do now, notably prize money levels! During lockdown I did a fair of research on stables I used to follow when I was young and kept myself amused working through years of newspapers.

espmadrid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 541

Tipperwood was ridden in all his previous races that season by Maurice Barnes and had come into the race on the back of three straight wins at Sedgefield, Ayr and Kelso. He was indeed the second favourite and, ridden by Pat McCarron, took up the running at the 9th fence from the early leader Kalyan. Young Ash Leaf took over at the 19th after a bad mistake by Tipperwood and went on to win comfortably by 12 lengths. Gay Trip was never a factor and eventually pulled up. Both the winner and second were trained at Hawick.

Full Result:

1st Young Ash Leaf (P Ennis)
    2nd Tipperwood (P McCarron)
    3rd Jedheads (P Brogan)
    4th Arctic Fury (J Haldane)
    5th Lothian Prince (R Barry)
    6th Old Oats (P Buckley)
    7th Craigbrock (B Fletcher)
    8th The Inventor (G Thorner)

Also ran:

Rainbow Valley (M Dickinson) Fell at 16th (Open ditch)
    Master Garter (S Buckley) Fell at 18th (Water) {Dead}
    Miss Hunter (F Shortt) Brought Down at 18th (Water)
    Jungle (F McKenna) Refused and unseated rider 18th (Water)
    Irish Rain (J Enright) Pulled up 18th (Water)
    San-Feliu (B Brogan) Pulled up 18th (Water)
    The Spaniard (T Stack) Fell at 21st (Open ditch)
    Gay Trip (T Biddlecombe) Pulled Up 21st (Open ditch)
    Prince Tino (S Mellor) Pulled Up 21st (Open ditch)
    French Excuse (K White) Pulled up 3 out
    Kalyan (W Shoemark) Pulled up 3 out
    Proud Stone (T Carberry) Pulled up 3 out
    Roborough (J Leech) Pulled up 3 out

Postscript:

The Scottish National was his last race that season. He returned to the same track in October finishing second in a 2m 4f handicap chase. He seems to have suffered a setback and was not seen again until the latter stages of the following season. Reappearing at Hexham in March 1973, Tipperwood had to concede almost 2 stone to all four of his rivals. He looked to be going well when capsizing at the third last. Five days later he gained compensation in a minor 3m handicap chase at Kelso, again giving lumps of weight away to his two opponents. This appears to be the end of his career, as the then 9-y-o was not seen again under rules.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 55

That’s brilliant thanks espmadrid. I seem to remember an ‘oh no’ going up when he made that mistake with Young Ash Leaf running on.
    Thanks again.
    Haha. Just need some footage from someone now!

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 574

I’d like to see that footage too. There are some real old favourites there, thank you for that Espmadrid, I had forgotten most of them. I feel very old now.

espmadrid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 541

I think you will be incredibly fortunate to find any footage. It would have been shown live on World of Sport as part of an ITV 6 or 7 from Ayr and Thirsk. In those days Ayr was a mixed meeting with 3 flat contests on the 7 race card.

Obviously there were no home recording devices around in those days, so your only hope is that the closing stages may have been shown sometime from the 1980s onwards. Sad to say a lot of these old races have been deleted from the broadcasters’ archives. Credit to Racing TV, they did dig out a lot of old Scottish National finishes during the first lockdown, which was great to see. Unfortunately for you, the oldest race to be shown was 1974.

This highlighted another possible victim of the archive cull, as the 1982 race was the only one not to be shown and seems to have been lost forever. It would have been possible to record this, so unless there was a strike at ITV, someone may have kept a recording on VHS tape.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.