The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Zenyatta

Home Forums Horse Racing Zenyatta

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 315 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Zenyatta was only confirmed for last year’s Breeders’ Cup after it was announced that Sea The Stars wouldn’t be running; until that point her participation was very much in doubt.

You’re remembering things wrong. Zenyatta’s entire campaign last year was designed to keep her fresh for the Classic, it was all but guaranteed that she would run there. The Mosses were saying that they hoped the Classic would give her the Horse of the Year title (it didn’t) Had Rachel Alexandra gone into the Distaff, public pressure would require the two to meet there, but in that case if Zenyatta won she would be HOTY. I suspect it was Zenyatta that partially influenced the decision for Sea the Stars not to run in the BC.

I’m not remembering anything incorrectly, Miss Woodford.

From research I did at the start of the year:

24/06/2009

Connections confirm that Rachel Alexandra won’t be going to the Breeders’ Cup.

04/09/2009

Zenyatta remains unconfirmed for the Breeders’ Cup Classic, with connections failing to acknowledge Sea The Stars in any interview yet mentioning both Summer Bird and Gio Ponti.

12/10/2009

Dottie Ingordo-Shireffs says: "Both races are very much open to discussion. It will depend on who’s coming, the size of the field". John Shireffs adds: "There’s no reason she couldn’t race against the males, but there’s absolutely no reason to rush in to that decision now."

13/10/2009

Sea The Stars is retired.

28/10/2009

Zenyatta is confirmed for the Breeder’s Cup Classic.

Obviously it doesn’t prove (beyond all doubt) that Zenyatta wasn’t being aimed at the Classic from the beginning, but the Shireffs’s reluctance to even acknowledge Sea The Stars was particularly interesting; the timing of the announcement of her intended participation also seemed rather convenient.

Besides, who had the most to lose? Sea The Stars had been victorious in six Group Ones over a period of six months when it was reported that he wouldn’t run at the Breeders’ Cup. In putting together such a remarkable sequence he won over three different trips on ground from good-to-soft to good-to-firm, raced at six different courses, ran right and left-handed, and visited three different countries. Defeat to Zenyatta wouldn’t have tarnished his reputation in the slightest, but victory would have elevated him to another level altogether.

Zenyatta, on the other hand, was (and still is) America’s sweetheart and wouldn’t have held the same appeal had she been floored by Europe’s own wonder-horse.

She’s been incredibly fortunate to have avoided both Sea The Stars and Zarkava. And connections know it.

• Total Posts 2432

Hi Afleet,

http://www.racingpost.com has a searchable database free of charge. Type in "Gitano Hernando" in the search box, click on the horse when it is generated, and this will gave you the full Dundalk result.

http://www.sportinglife.com will also have the result.

Very nearly got to Barbaro’s Kentucky Derby, Afleet, but I eventually got to see it at Will Rogers Downs. Will get there in the end. Nice website you have too. Looking forward to the Breeders Cup with eager anticipation.

Himself, what would you have to beat her next month, sir

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Himself, what would you have to beat her next month, sir

Lookin’ At Lucky, sir ! :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Looking at Secretariat, Looking at Man O War. Looking at Sea Busciut makes me think of Zenyatta

Looking at Lucky makes me think you’r going to need it to beat the Queen :P

• Total Posts 1982

http://zenyatta2010.com/

Check out Zenyatta interrupting a Secretariat movie trailer. 8)

With every gallop, her legend grows. With every race, she stays perfect. And with every incredible victory, she transcends the sport of racing.

Zenyatta: The Quest For Perfection.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Zenyatta only just beat 106 rated horse at level weights last time out, and looked hard pushed in doing so. Not the performance that would merit any sense of over confidence of her repeating last year’s Breeders’ Cup Classic win. :?

• Total Posts 2432

Looking forward to seeing the clash with great interest, sir. :D

http://www.racingpost.com/blog/horse-ra … ta/775447/

Nice article for our American friends. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

For those who can’t get enough of Zenyatta:

The June issue of Stride magazine has an interview with her groom, Mario Espinoza.
    http://horseracinginside.com/wordpress/ … e-edition/

Zenyatta schooling in the paddock before the LS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19by0J3L0qc

The day after the LS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtH5uVGcImU

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Zenyatta only just beat 106 rated horse at level weights last time out, and looked hard pushed in doing so. Not the performance that would merit any sense of over confidence of her repeating last year’s Breeders’ Cup Classic win. :?

Oh come on "H" why would they have her fully wound up to beat that lot. Mike Smith did what he had to do nothing more nothing less.

If you are going to judge her it has to how she performed in the race last year. There can be little doubt about Twice Over’s class, He had just won the Champion Stakes, has won the Eclipse since and she kicked him into touch like a selling plater.

Right now I’d rate her as the best horse in the world and she’ll treat this lot the same way she does everything else she meets.

Zenyatta simply doesn’t know the difference between a horses rated 106 and horses rated 130 up. All she knows is when Mike Smith says go she has to pass them and in 19 races she hasn’t let him down yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Zenyatta was only confirmed for last year’s Breeders’ Cup after it was announced that Sea The Stars wouldn’t be running; until that point her participation was very much in doubt.

You’re remembering things wrong. Zenyatta’s entire campaign last year was designed to keep her fresh for the Classic, it was all but guaranteed that she would run there. The Mosses were saying that they hoped the Classic would give her the Horse of the Year title (it didn’t) Had Rachel Alexandra gone into the Distaff, public pressure would require the two to meet there, but in that case if Zenyatta won she would be HOTY. I suspect it was Zenyatta that partially influenced the decision for Sea the Stars not to run in the BC.

I’m not remembering anything incorrectly, Miss Woodford.

From research I did at the start of the year:

24/06/2009

Connections confirm that Rachel Alexandra won’t be going to the Breeders’ Cup.

04/09/2009

Zenyatta remains unconfirmed for the Breeders’ Cup Classic, with connections failing to acknowledge Sea The Stars in any interview yet mentioning both Summer Bird and Gio Ponti.

12/10/2009

Dottie Ingordo-Shireffs says: "Both races are very much open to discussion. It will depend on who’s coming, the size of the field". John Shireffs adds: "There’s no reason she couldn’t race against the males, but there’s absolutely no reason to rush in to that decision now."

13/10/2009

Sea The Stars is retired.

28/10/2009

Zenyatta is confirmed for the Breeder’s Cup Classic.

Obviously it doesn’t prove (beyond all doubt) that Zenyatta wasn’t being aimed at the Classic from the beginning, but the Shireffs’s reluctance to even acknowledge Sea The Stars was particularly interesting; the timing of the announcement of her intended participation also seemed rather convenient.

Can’t agree with that at all. When someone owns a horse like Zenyatta they are totally convinces she’s the best in the world 2nd to none.

Besides, who had the most to lose? Sea The Stars had been victorious in six Group Ones over a period of six months when it was reported that he wouldn’t run at the Breeders’ Cup. In putting together such a remarkable sequence he won over three different trips on ground from good-to-soft to good-to-firm, raced at six different courses, ran right and left-handed, and visited three different countries. Defeat to Zenyatta wouldn’t have tarnished his reputation in the slightest, but victory would have elevated him to another level altogether.

Zenyatta, on the other hand, was (and still is) America’s sweetheart and wouldn’t have held the same appeal had she been floored by Europe’s own wonder-horse.

She’s been incredibly fortunate to have avoided both Sea The Stars and Zarkava. And connections know it.

That’s a bit of a crock mate.

Jerry Moss indicated on the 10th of October last year if Zenyatta was 100% nearer the time she would run in the Breeders. Lotta people say a lot of things to the press most of which you take with a pinch of salt. If they are not the ones who actually make tehe decisions it then becomes only their opinion.

I think you forget that Rip Van Winkle and Twice Over were confirmed runner and it never stopped them running.

Rip Van Winkle was a strong fav in all the UK books to win. He had looked like causing a mojor shock by almost beating Sea the Stars in the Eclipse and gone on to destroy Paco Boy in the Grup 1 sussex stakes and followed that up by easily disposing of Delegator beating him 2 lengths further than Sea the Stars in the 200O Guineas.

Rip Van Winkle was in the best form of his life was the selection of 14 of the 17 main pundits in the Uk and trained by a man who many regard as the best trainer in the world.

They were up for it no matter who ran or who trained it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Fist, last year’s Breeders’ Cup win by Zenyatta was clearly impressive enough, but as you probably are aware by now, I remain unconvinced that she deserves a place among the racing Gods and Goddesses.

I also think that Zenyatta’s connections are so petrified at the thought of her being defeated, especially in her last ever outing ( the forthcoming BC Classic ) that I would not be in the least bit surprised to learn beforehand that she had picked up an "injury" and would henceforth be retired, accompanied by the usual apologetic utterances and cliched platitudes of what might have been etc.

I also maintain they held off declaring her for last year’s BC Classic until Sea The Stars’ future plans were known.

If anything, the mare now faces an even tougher task this year, with the presence of home-based quality oppostion such as Blame and Lookin’ At Lucky lining up against her; both of whom are in tip top form.

If she does run, and I sincerely hope she does, I just hope there are no excuses from the trainer, connections ( or you ! :wink: ) when she finally relinquishes her 100% record.

Or… heaven forbid, and this has also crossed my cynical mind in one of my many dream-like race scenarios – that, rather than see his pride and joy face the ignominy of certain defeat, Mike Smith suddenly pulls her up with the infamous get out clause, "she went lame in running " and thereby claiming mitigating circumstances for her demise. :roll: :wink: :lol:

• Total Posts 1982

What makes Zenyatta so appealing?

It would appear, after browsing through various sources where racing enthusiasts can offer their respective opinion, that many still can’t understand why this 6YO is arguably the most popular thoroughbred in the history of the sport.

She attracts capacity crowds wherever she competes, and these dramatic events have been witnessed by her faithful legion of disciples around the globe. Her Clement L. Hirsch win was seen in over 39 countries.

And yet, there are those who wish to make light of her miraculous achievements. Apparently, nineteen wins from as many starts is not something to be marvelled at. Being a dual Breeders’ Cup Winner is nothing to get too excited about and, as we all know, her accession to the throne in last years Classic was marred by beating a field of poor quality colts.

She became the first of her sex in history to win that illustrious race, by the way, beating two genuine Group / Grade 1 performers, who themselves have nine wins at the highest level, including two Champion Stakes, an Eclipse, two Man O’ Wars and an Arlington Million. We can add these colts to the previous eight Group / Grade 1 winners she has defeated, who also share twenty-two wins at the highest level between them (and that’s just counting those who filled the frame).

This impressive record is not the sole reason behind her popularity. It’s merely a contribution to the phenomenon that is Zenyatta. It’s her apparent love of drama, the theatrics and her gracious acceptance to be a star that makes her such a lovable character – not to mention a marketing dream.

In a sport where anthropomorphisms are thrown about far too often, true equine characters, particularly those at the highest level, are a rarity. Zenyatta isn’t just rare, she’s unique. Standing over 17hh is one thing, but to display such beauty and elegance for one so big is unusual, to say the least. The same can be said of her pre-race ritual.

Is she dancing? Is she posing? It is, once again, easy to go overboard with the anthropomorphic gestures, but when a horse paws at the ground in such a manner, it’s often a sign of unhappiness. Judging by the remainder of her body language and success on the track, I think it’s fair to say that she’s far, far from unhappy. The obvious comparison is that the pre-parade ring is her red carpet before the big event, and she wants to look her best and pose accordingly for her adoring public. Zenyatta is the ultimate diva, who isn’t satisfied unless the flashbulbs are aimed in her direction.

If Zenyatta is the leading actress, then Mike Smith is the ever reliable supporting actor. This man, whose small stature looks so insignificant on top such a large frame, has played an integral part in the success of this racehorse. Blessed with what would appear to be a clock in his head and dressed in those wonderful light blue and pink silks, which seem to accentuate Zenyatta’s femininity, it is one of the iconic images of modern racing when Mike Smith removes his helmet and looks to the skies. There have been times when Zenyatta should have lost, so it’s only fair that man who believes she is ‘sent from heaven’ should acknowledge any help from above.

That’s another aspect of this superstar that makes her so appealing. What separates Zenyatta from the vast majority – past and present – is that she has tasted victory when she should have been wallowing in defeat. So many, perhaps with greater talent, have lost when they should have won. Sea The Stars lost on his debut. Workforce got hammered in the King George. Arkle lost and Kauto Star has always proved vulnerable, but Zenyatta is still unbeaten after nearly three years and nineteen races. Many will argue that she hasn‘t defeated great horses, but it’s incredible that she has yet to taste defeat against animals of such high calibre – as my research at the start of this post testifies.

It’s her incredible talent, coupled with her pre-race antics, idiosyncrasies, unparalleled desire to succeed and beauty that attract, and inspire, so many. In much the same way Seabiscuit gave people hope during the Great Depression, Zenyatta is another life-affirming figure. She never knows when she’s beat and on a bad day where nothing has gone right, Zenyatta can put on a smile on your face and warm your heart before, during and after another triumph.

It’s not just about being unbeaten. It’s everything about her. Whether or not she passes the post with her head in-front come November 6, she will retire a winner. Never to have beaten by another of her sex, equalling the modern US record for consecutive victories and becoming the first female to win the Classic will speak loader than any opinion.

There will only ever be one Zenyatta in our lifetime. The most unique individual to ever step out onto a racecourse.

For many of us, it was love at first sight. When Mike Smith asks Zenyatta to go and challenge around the final bend of her career, it must surely take a person with a heart of stone not to say “C’mon big girl, one last effort”.

Two weeks – to this very hour – to go…

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Nice piece, Bosranic :wink:

In what looks a better race than last year, I actually feel she has a better chance of victory this time round.

Blame, to name but one, will ensure a brutal gallop from the front, allowing Zen make more use of her stamina (she’d get much further IMO, which makes her all the more extaordinary, for me). And then there’s her finishing kick, of course!

The faster they go, the further she wins by.

JHorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 161

Great post Bosranic, you really understand Zenyatta’s greatness and how her fans feel about her.

In her penultimate prep for the Classic, Zenyatta worked 7f in 1:27.20. Not remarkable time though the last furlong was 12 flat after a pedestrian 1:15.20 6f so Z put a nice finish on it. It had been raining in Los Angeles the day before, so the track, while listed as fast, was a bit heavy. Zenyatta had also galloped the 10f classic distance the day before. Shirreffs has been working Zenyatta against two horses lately to get her to work a bit harder. One trial horse starts the work and the other is placed to start running about halfway through the work so Zenyatta is always running at a fresh horse. In this work she started out running down Sorbonne, who was given a head start and then ran down El Vino who was started running with a half mile to go in the work, again with a lead over Zenyatta.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ … -hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKaWAb-Y9UA

Participant
    • Total Posts 443

Bravo Bosranic, bravo.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

What can I say Bos, you outdid yourself, brilliant stuff!!

The only thing that stops Zenyatta being hailed as the greatest of all time (one off) in the UK is because she doesn’t run in the UK.

The stiff upper lip is not confined to the London snobbs and ‘we will always be better" is pretty natural for any country to say.

My only regret is she never ran in Europe.I would love to have seen run in something like the Champion Stakes with wide open spaces and none of those chester like bends all USA tracks seem to have.

Can just imagine her starting a run 3f out and with no bends and crowding really taking off. What a sight that would have been.

Apart from her dancing what set her aside for me are these starts she keeeps giving the leaders. 10 lengths 15 lengths 20 lengths it doesn’t seem to matter.

She seems to make it up without any real effort but obviously she has to quicken to get to them. Despite that still looks like she’s still cantering then quickens again to a pass them.

Then if you watch her closely, in her better races, although she’s just shot past half a dozen horses as the race finishes she looks like she just going into cruise control and could take off again if required. Bit like Sea the Stars only she looks like she could jump to light speed if need be.

It’s like she’s runs 3 races in one and that last one is still in progress when the race is over. I’ve never seen anything like her and because of the type of tracks she runs on I reckon we have never seen just how good she really is.

Only hope now is she goes out on a winning note and in a spectacular manner because that’s how she should be remembered.

However if she were to lose so what? changes nothing in my mind,she’s no spring chicken although she seems to think she is. The outcome isn’t really that important as she’s already cemented into the hall of fmae but it would be fantastic if she can pull it off.

Most horses get beat at some point in their careers no matter how good they are and most top horses never have more than 8 to 12 races. Sea Bird, Mill Reef, Dancing Brace, Nijinsky, Sir Ivor and even the might Secretariat all tasted defeat.

Zenyatta 20/20 what a fantastic achievement if she can pull it off.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

NEED HELP!!!

Anyone know a USA website that will show the racing live.

I know I can watch it on Betfair but I get a much better connection with USA based websites than I do the UK which can be very bad at times.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 315 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.