The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Zenyatta

Home Forums Horse Racing Zenyatta

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 315 total)
  • Author
    Presto
    • Total Posts 315

Fantastic. Switch showed a very sharp turn-of-foot to kick like that, but Zenyatta was too good.
    I’m wondering: does Zenyatta run as well on dirt as she does synthetics? And how does the Churchill Downs straight compare to that of Santa Anita’s?

If it’s shorter, which I don’t think it is, that would be a serious blow to Zenyatta’s chances.
    I think Lookin At Lucky might beat her if he gets first run because his last 2 wins were seriously impressive (and he might not have enjoyed the mud). He showed good speed in the Preakness and Haskell, and he showed in the Haskell he doesn’t take long to get going.
    A longer homestraight makes the BC Classic very interesting indeed.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Mike Smith alive to the threat of Switch, who showed a nice turn of foot off the bend. She wins again with any amount in hand, and looks to grown even wider, but it’s probably just me! A nailed on cert for the classic.

http://www.ntra.com/content/display/news/NDY1OTU=

• Total Posts 1982

I believe Churchill Downs boasts one of the longest straights in the US.

As I suggested in the BC Classic thread, Lookin’ At Lucky will sit handier than Queen Z and commit earlier. He’s a tough horse to pass and very much improving – I still think it’s between them.

Blame will arrive late on the scene and the track will play to his strengths, but he doesn’t have the initial kick of Zenyatta.

There’s my tricast!

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Just had a quick peep and Blame is 1.21 :shock: :?

Is that an error?

JHorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 161

The Churchill Downs stretch at 1234.5 feet, yes they still use that archaic English measurement, is about 200 feet longer than Santa Anita. Should suit Zenyatta perfectly. Jerry Moss was quoted after the race as saying that Zenyatta will be going in the BC Classic if she comes out of todays race sound.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Geez Presto now your knocking Zarkava who in a lot of peoples opinion would have beaten Sea the Stars hands down :roll:

In one breath you knock Zenyatta for not travelling then in the next you defend Sea the Stars for not travelling.

What she lacks in one shpere she makes up for it in another. We had all this shyte last year (thanks I got 6/1 about her)and she proved everyone wrong.

Let’s not forget she kicked a Champion Stakes and Eclipse winer into touch like he was a selling plater.

You say she beats nothing or takes on nothing. Have you looked back at Sea the Stars career and analysed what he actually beat/took on? perhaps you should. They have hardly set the world on fire. 2nd and 3rd in the 2200 Guineas flopped. The 2nd in the Eclipse did scrape home against Twice Over on that line I’d say Zenyatta must be at least up there with StS and very chance she’s ven better than he was.

Then we got Fame and Glory who is Sea the Stars last form lifeline in todays Arc.

It’s way too easy to cut his form and say he never took on the other real champion of the time when he could easily have.

I think Zenyatta is one of the best horses I have ever seen and she is being trained with the Breeders in mind and they are doing a fantastic job of it.

Everyday we see favs beaten when they shouldn’t be by outsiders with no chance, mainly because it is near impossible for a horse to be at it’s peak at all times. The least little thing can turn a champion into a carthorse.

So it makes no differnece what you are up against if you can win 19 from 19 then by God you’re special and have nowts to prove to anyone.

As Bos points out her trainer sets out a plan for her and sticks to it plus he’s won $7 million for the owner doing it.

You simply can’t knock trainers for doing their job.

Fame and Glory was supposed to be our flag bearer this year and he’s ran in the crappiest races they could find for him.

Even if he wins the Arc what then?……..looks like the Breeders but not to take on Zenyatta and go for the $5m prize but to go for the easier option worth $2m less.

This must be a new fad, trainers using their brains.

Maybe we should beat Aiden up with a big stick as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

After watching that do you guys think she’d pick up a horse like Cape Blanco if he made the running (tested stamina etc)

That was a trial remember Phil she wouldn’t be fully won up.

As far as whether she would peg back a horse like Cape Blanco or not is difficult to answer but I would imagine going a half stride faster in the early stages wouldn’t make much differnece to Zenyatta as she travels well within her comfort zone in her races. The jury is still out on Cape Blanco until after the Arc. He certainly would pose a bigger danger than Looking at Lucky if he ran like he did the other day..probably his style of running is the only way you could beat Zenyatta.

Everyone knows she has a good turn of foot but I don’t think many people realise just how fast she is because she so big and does it so easily.

looking at the betting the bookies seem to think Looking at Lucky can outgun her. It’s not because of his price it’s because of hers, she’d be 4/7 for the race otherwise.

Personally I think if she would beat anything Europe has produced over the last few years.

If she stays out of trouble Mike Smith will be taking dead aim at the leaders in the home straight and thye’re going down……simple as. 4/1? still can’t believe it.

IMO she hasn’t anywhere near peaked yet this season or less likely she’s not as good as she was.

Last season she would quicken up which only got her back onto the bridle like there were wto more unexposed gears there. She hasn’t shown that same sparkle but I think you’ll find they haven’t had her as far forward this season. Last season the Breeders was a bit of an afterthought as the original plan was to go for the much easier ladies version which she could win if she was only half fit.

This year they knew exactly where they were going and most likley have ben training her more geared towards one day tahn they were last season.

Hope I’m right because it will make some dent in the piggy bank if I’m wrong.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

The Churchill Downs stretch at 1234.5 feet, yes they still use that archaic English measurement, is about 200 feet longer than Santa Anita.

Says the folks who measure handicap weights in

stones

. :lol:

She’ll have no problem with the Churchill stretch, it’s about average for a track that old (Saratoga, Fair Grounds, Monmouth, Pimlico all were designed/built in the late 1800s, all have long stretch runs. Santa Anita opened in 1934, Hollywood in 1938). She was supposed to run in the Distaff Handicap on Kentucky Oaks day last year, but scratched due to mud. She was at that track the whole week beforehand and was galloping very well on it. She has won twice on dirt, at 1 1/6 mile no less, and beat reigning Champion Older Female Ginger Punch in just her 4th lifetime start at Oaklawn.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Hibaayeb won, by the way. Lasix + firm turf helped.

Thanks Miss Woodford. I’ve always loved this underrated filly since she won the Fillies Mile, showing how tough and game she was in the process. Delighted she had her conditions again after two runs in ground she wouldn’t have enjoyed. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDar3Xd8INg

Well done, Zenyatta. A remarkable horse. 8)

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

Fist, I’m just saying that you can’t defend Zenyatta’s easy season by saying Sea The Stars didn’t go to the BC Classic. Asking STS to travel to the US after a tough 3yo campaign (6 G1s in 6 months) to take a chance on a different surface is far different from taking Zenyatta (who will have 6 races this year in over 7 months including the BC, 5 races last year) to run on HER surface just out East. If you can’t see why the comparison is ridiculous then I can’t help you. I didn’t knock Zarkava, she was given a 3yo campaign. I’m knocking Z’s connections for giving the horse a soft 3yo campaign every year.

And I don’t know why you’re knocking STS’s form in this thread (I know you don’t think much of the horse but why knock him every chance you can in unrelated threads?), this is purely about the races horses run in. Even if you believe STS didn’t beat much at least he ran in the very best races and took on all comers.

Other great horses are a good deal more adventurous than Zenyatta. Look at Goldikova or any European horse, or Curlin. The trainer looks out for the owners but he could be doing bigger things for Z’s reputation and racing in general if he gave her better races to run in. He takes care of the horse but a trip out East is perfectly feasible. Surely she can have more than one competitive race a year like all the other great ones.

Fame had an ambitious campaign last year, Zenyatta has never had an ambitious campaign. And nowhere did I say that she is not a great horse…she clearly is, I just say her connections should have her take on good ones more than once a year.

• Total Posts 41

It’s been FORVEER since I was here last! Perhaps around Breeder’s Cup time last year. Came to say hello and see how everyone is doing and IF anyone is planning to make the BC trek to Churchill Downs this year. A bunch of us will be there and would love to meet up with anyone for a pint or two!

THANKS SO MUCH for all your glowing praise of our mightiest mare, Zenyatta who won her 19th straight race today and still remains undefeated heading into her final swan song race, the Breeder’s Cup CLassic at Churchill Downs. SHe is such an AMAZING mare to behold that you have to witness her in person to truly believe it. I had the pleasure of meeting her the day after her CLassic win last year (and also Life Is Sweet) and Zenyatta is an absolute pussy cat in the barn! Such a sweet and affectionate horse! Sherriffs has done an amazing job keeping her solid and racing all these years and as fan, I am sad to see her retire after the Breeder’s CUp when she seems to still enjoy what she does. She does indeed seem to be toying with them when she is on the track.

I have an online forum in the U.S. where many of us talk about her and other favorite horses and races and yet I do so enjoy hearing and talking with you folks here on the "other side of the pond" as well. It is delightfully refreshing to read your comments about Zen. We love her so around here!

In reference to some of your comments, YES the stretch at Churchill should suit her perfectly as it takes her quite awhile to get into her full stride and rarely does Mike Smith have to ask her much at all although he has said she loafs on the lead because if he doesn’t remind her to find th ewire she would much prefer to take a sudden turn and go mingle with all of her fans. He still maintains that we have never seen all her gears so maybe on BC weekend we will.

I look forward to popping in over here and sicussin upcomign BC tidbits with all of you and do hope that I shall manage to meet one or two of you in Kentucky in November! I am so excited to go I can barely stand it! Especially to see Zenyatta on eifnal time before her retirement.

Also VERY excited for the ARc and would like to post the field for my friends at my forum so if anyone can recommend a good link to find it I would be very grateful.

:D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Presto I am only bringing Sea the Stars into things as a comparison. Don’t forget Oxx was acused time after time of treating him with kid gloves and at one time most people thought he wouldn’t run him in the Arc.

May take on Sea the Stars is he was a very good horse in the right place at the right time who was given a crazy rating by Timeform.

I had alook at the rankings today Mill Reef 141 Sea the Stars 140 and Zarkava 132 that I’m afraid does not compute in my little brain.

Zenyatta 131 the same mark as rip Van Winkle is a insult to human intellegence.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

My tuppence worth : :?

Firstly, I’m surprised Fist regards Zenyatta as one of the all time greats. :shock:

Not in my book, she’s not.

I do however concur that Zarkava was closer to Sea The Stars than the ratings would suggest, but I also think that Oxx’s colt was superior to the wonder filly.

Both European stars would, in turn, have given Zenyatta a ten lengths start and still waltzed past the American mare with ease.

There you go ! Just my humble opinion. :)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 2432

Had Elliptical ran, oh, a hundred lengths better in the Cambridgeshire yesterday I would be metaphorically joining you at Churchill Downs, Afleet, but alas, twas not to be. Welcome back.

Without a shadow of a doubt, I’d have Zenyatta high in any pantheon of top quality horses. She lights up my day, that girl. Cruising speed, finishing speed, the will to win, courage under fire and the lethal arrogance of a true champion – she’s got the lot. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I will be opposing Zenyatta in The Classic. She’s about to taste he first defeat. Mark my words.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 41

Sorry to hear Elliptical didn’t do better and you won’t be making the journey. I have been pouring over the latest Longchamps races…Hooray for Golidkova…can’t wait to see her again!!! She has really shined the last couple years and I have been privileged enough to make the trip the last couple years so I am really excited to see her return for e three-peat. She is just so amazing!

ALso read that Workforce won the Arc! Haven’t heard yet whether they are planning to seend him to the Breeder’s Cup or not. Do you know?? Also do you know where I might find the results for the Diamond Stakes @ Dundalk…that is a "Win & You’re In" race for the Breeder’s Cup Marathon and I am trying to keep tabs on all the "Win & You’re In" winners.

I don’t know much about Elliptical, then again I have heard the name but alas we don’t get nearly as much European coverage over here as I would like…Luckily we have a poster from the UK and he kaaps us up to date as much as he can…looking forward to seeing him again at the BC this year…actually met him here!! Great group of guys! Hoping to get the chance to meet more people who are planning a journey to Kentucky in NOvember. Breeder’s Cup weekend is sure going to be exciting…as well that is just a few days after the Melbourne Cup too! I was (and still am) a hopeless fan of the wonder mare Makybe Diva!!! Hope we see another like her someday! For now I’ll just enjoy the magic that is Zenyatta! She has quite the following and if you have ever seen her dance, you would know why! LOL! Good to be back!

:D

JHorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 161

Trackside videos. Good interviews with John Shirreffs and Jerry Moss also great to see Penny Chenery in the winners circle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WHK6DU_fIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0muxR-l7kI

Some shaky camera work but a good ground level view of the finish and the crowd cheering Zenyatta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg94kz_cJAE

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 315 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.