The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your three biggest punting downfalls

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Your three biggest punting downfalls

Viewing 3 posts - 18 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

1. Betting on any race, however small or large the field, without establishing where any pace is likely to come from or how contested it’s likely to be. Going boots-in with a front-runner set to be taken on by three or four other front-runners rarely yields the desired outcome; ditto backing a horse that stays 6f in a 5f race completely devoid of obvious pace, on the presumption that it’ll still be run to suit.

2. Being put off by big prices when everything else screams in a horse’s favour. Not tipping the 33-1 winner Flamand, the only animal that prevented me going through the card at Stratford during my

Sportsman

days, will haunt me to the grave.

3. Big bets in class 1, 2 or 3 races, especially in big-field events. They’re rarely where my greatest attentions lie nowadays, and it can quickly become good money after bad. Far happier chucking bigger sums at Pointing fancies – Sheriff Hutton this Sunday, here we come… 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 504

1) Increasing stake during a winning streak. It ALWAYS brings said streak to a halt. Always, without exception.

2) Not having the courage of one’s convictions during periods of knocked confidence. Every season I see about a dozen horses that the form tells me are worth a good whack. I demur. I suffer. THEN I see something that I am slightly less happy with but I say ‘look what happened last time’, so I back it and lose. Welcome to the hell of punting on horses.

3) Thinking that a form angle that won you money yesterday – or even in the previous race – will win you money now. E.g. you find an easy winner at a good price by realising that it’s been running on wrong ground and has dropped a class and is now 9lb well in or something. Then you start looking for that angle in the next race, but likely as not the next race doesn’t have a horse like that or will be won by a different set of attributes etc. Humans are minded to ‘well, it worked last time’ modes of thinking. Evolution I suppose. But fatal in punting.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

1) Starting in the first place
    2) Listening to (and more importantly believing) connections
    3) Being swayed by prices / market movers.

Viewing 3 posts - 18 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.