The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your favourite National memory?

Home Forums Horse Racing Your favourite National memory?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

For me it’s the very obvious one of Red Rum overhauling Crisp. It happened at the very birth of my interest in the sport and every detail is imprinted in memory.

There must be some less obvious memories of the graet race which people hold dear?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

The brilliant hunter/chaser Spartan Missile (which carried this teenager’s money) just failing to peg back Aldaniti in 1981. The latter’s story was even more inspiring than the would-be 54-year-old breeder/owner/trainer/jockey John Thorne winning.

As many of you are aware, John was killed the following year, the same year that Dick Saunders won on hunter/chaser Grittar.

It would be great to see more quality hunter/chasers like these run in the race but with the premium on softer fences for safety reasons nowadays, I fear we may not see their like again.

Mike

obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 349

Definitely Red Rum, I was very young when he won his Nations and he was paraded at our local County Show. I got to meet him, he had little plats with yellow bands. He was a small, very quality horse that had wonderful presence. That was my first interest in racing.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

I’ll go with both those memories guys and also Red Rum’s third National win. As the race progressed it was as if the horses around and in front of him were doomed to fall by the wayside – or fall period – and clear the way for him. As it so proved. He was a horse in his element when jumping those National fences.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

I’ll go with both those memories guys and also Red Rum’s third National win. As the race progressed it was as if the horses around and in front of him were doomed to fall by the wayside – or fall period – and clear the way for him. As it so proved. He was a horse in his element when jumping those National fences.

I Wiki’d the race to confirm it was Andy Pandy going well when falling in the lead at Becher’s second time round and stumbled on this great little side story that I hadn’t heard before:

In a new innovation the BBC opted to place an audio mic on one of the jockeys, opting for Graham Thorner who was partnering Prince Rock, with a view that the rider could give viewers a verbal experience of the National.

The audio however proved unusable as Thorner, forgetting he was wired for sound recorded three minutes of expletive riddled content before a final tirade of expletives signaled his twelfth fence exit.

The BBC however had narrowly missed out on a fantastic coup of media history as Thorner had been a last minute replacement for the jockey who had initially agreed to be wired up, Tommy Stack. Stack however changed his mind in the weighing room when he saw the equipment he was to carry.

He duly weighed out without a microphone and the opportunity for the BBC to get the thoughts of a history making Grand National winning jockey, while in the act of making history, was lost forever.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

For me it’s the very obvious one of Red Rum overhauling Crisp.

Probably my first and worst memory. I was 3 at the time and for some unknown reason had picked Crisp out as they circled at the start. According to my parents I threw myself on the floor in tears when Red Rum collared him close home. Apparently I recovered when the replay of the closing stages was shown, hoping Crisp might have held on, but more tears quickly followed.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I have three outstanding memories of the Grand National.

1. Watching a grainy old black and white tv screen as Foinavon and John Buckingham came from nowhere to by-pass all the fallers as the passenger train in the background stopped to let everyone watch the great spectacle, and the resultant melee described by the unforgettable tones of Irish commentator, Michael O’Hehir.

2. Having backed Aldaniti at 20/1 ante-post, coupled with the Bob Champion back story, then the sight of Josh Gifford’s horse passing the post first will forever be indelibly stamped in my memory.

3. My happiest memory has to be Highland Wedding’s 1969 win for Eddie Harty and Toby Balding. This was the day of my sister’s wedding and practically every person at the reception had backed the horse.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

1985 – As usual I had gone to Hereford, leaving the VCR to record Aintree and I was hoping to avoid the result until I watched the tape.

There was a long gap between races at Hereford to allow everyone to watch the National in the bars (no big screen in those days), so I set off to walk a circuit of the track in the reverse direction while the big race was being run, planning to stay in the centre of the course for the next race at Hereford.

As I completed my lap, I walked behind the ancient number board that used to sit directly opposite the stands, which had a concrete bunker underneath the framework. Exactly as I passed the door at the rear, two elderly workmen emerged smoking roll-ups and one called to the other:

"Who’d a thawt ole Last Suspect could win a Gran Nashnul"

The best laid plans …….

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

When knee high to a pony I wanted to be a jockey. Racing came first, before any interest in betting developed. Absolutely loved animals and used to watch anything to do with horses on TV. Three day eventing, ITV7 and Show jumping; David Broom and the great showman Harvey Smith. Little did I know Harvey’s wife would train the horse I’d back to win the 2013 Grand National, Auroras Encore @ 119/1.

Learnt to ride at the age of about seven. Fell off and that was the end of one dream and beginning of another. At nine persuaded my parents to have a family sweepstake on the 1976 Grand National. Mum and dad had absolutely no interest in racing what so ever, grandfather watched two races a year – Derby and Grand National. Nan hated it, “mugs game”, and only at the last moment begrudgingly picked a number.

Maybe the trainer’s name “Ginger” (my school nickname) had something to do with me choosing Red Rum. When passing the post second, I picked the winnings up off the coffee table, it felt fantastic! Hopping around the room and jumping the pouffe and rug (Canal Turn and Water Jump). Then the result was called; "first number 6 Rag Trade". Guess what number my Nan had picked?!!! Some bloody “mugs game” this is! Remember vividly handing the money over to Nan. It was spent on us kids anyway, but I was gutted.

Following year, with confidence TAPK would be proud of, I told everyone at junior school “Red Rum will win the Grand National”, no ifs, no buts, “a certainty”! Dad chose favourite Andy Pandy this time, clear of his field only to fall at second Beecher’s. Leaving Red Rum to come home for an historic third victory in the greatest steeplechase in the World. “You’ve never heard a reception like it at Liverpool”! Still gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. One of the biggest sporting stories of all time. A racing fanatic was born!

Afterwards, my school pals thought of me as the racing expert. Rarely had a losing bet/pick as a kid. Convinced it would put me off – mother gave me a book to write down every selection I’d have if allowed, price and stake (fantasy betting). It backfired; by some miracle somehow I made a “profit”!

Once a year I’d be the school bookmaker; not a clue of what I was doing (didn’t know about “percentages” then). My History teacher found out I was making a book and asked me to “stay behind after class”. Thought I was in for The Chair (high jump)! But instead he asked “what price Zongalero”? Grittar cost me dearly, but made a packet on Aldaniti. “Champion(s)”; by inadvertently omitting his name from the runners; shame that! :D

Value Is Everything
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Too many to mention. A race in which every running of it that I’ve seen is etched on my soul and in my memory.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

The Earth Summit – Suny Bay match in 1998

Majestic performances by the horses in truly deep ground with the tender, wise rides by the jockeys also most appealing, particularly Bradley on Suny Bay

For me it epitomised everything that makes staying chasers so compelling

My feeling straight after the event was ‘well thanks for that but that’s you two done for’. Happily both went on to win good prizes the following season

Back in the short-trousered ’60s I was very fond of The Fossa who seemed to run into a place every year :)

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

The Earth Summit – Suny Bay match in 1998

Majestic performances by the horses in truly deep ground with the tender, wise rides by the jockeys also most appealing, particularly Bradley on Suny Bay

For me it epitomised everything that makes staying chasers so compelling

My feeling straight after the event was ‘well thanks for that but that’s you two done for’. Happily both went on to win good prizes the following season

Back in the short-trousered ’60s I was very fond of The Fossa who seemed to run into a place every year :)

That is personal highlight for me purely from a punting perspective. I had £20EW on Earth Summit at 11/1 and the same on Suny Bay courtesy of a £40 tip I had received from one of my punters. Coming into the closing stages it was clear I was going to collect and that it made no difference what order they came in. My heart hoped Suny would get it but it wasn’t to be. Later on I remembered that I had also placed a tenner on 5 to 8 finishers at a pre-rainfall generous price of 8/1. I called over to one of the cashiers to ask how many finishers there were and the answer "six" made for a National feat I’ll probably never achieve again. I did have Rhyme and Reason and Durham Edition in their year with my other bet, Sacred Path a first fence faller

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

PRG
    • Total Posts 34

As well as Red Rum/Crisp
    Has to be the voice of Peter O’Sullivan
    "And as they come to the last fence in the National".
    "He’s gonna get up, Red Rum is going to win the National".

Also when the commentators switch and the coverage of the 5 fences leading to Beecher’s with the distinctive bank on the far side.

Also miss the Grand National coverage and build up on BBC 1 pre Clare and Rishi.

• Total Posts 15015

Not the best Grand National ever run, but Party Politics in 92, will live long in the memory. Only my second ever bet, and had a few quid on at 33’s ante-post. Was a student at the time, and had to scrape the money together, telling anyone who would listen to back it for the 2 or 3 months leading up. It was quite a good night after that.

Other memories away from the big one would be the 1979 Foxhunters won by Spartan Missile, that was the race that got me hooked on Aintree…..and a few years later, having been down to visit him at the stables a good few times, Fabulous winning The Topham, happy, happy days.

Most of my childhood (and sadly adulthood) was spent obsessed with The National, and all the Nationals from an early age will always be a bit special, so never easy to single any out, but I will……

It’s difficult to pick out the best Nationals, but Aldaniti in 81 is always worth a shout, and I loved Red Marauder in 2001. My 3 personal favourites though would be Rhyme ‘n’ Reason in 88, Miinnehoma in 94, and Amberleigh House in 04, hard to split em, and easily the best 3 renewals in my lifetime.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Always remember the sun streaming in through the window when Aldaniti won; it was a beautiful day. And, having worked for the NHS for 20 years, to me it’s the most important National because it gave, and still gives hope and strength to people that are ill. Not many sports can do that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Red Rum storming home in his 3rd National win, he did look a fresh horse.

Rhyme ‘n’ Reason’s national is well worth a mention when they were proper fences.Worth viewing again if you’ve not seen it recently and still worth viewing just to follow Rhyme ‘n’ Reason’s path through the race if you have.

Did the splits at Bechers first time and his belly touched the turf but Powell never flinched and stuck like glue when a lot of jockeys would have just fell off. Plum last jumping the next Powell give him time to gather himself until making good headway in the straight first time to be just behind the leaders.

A lovely touch here by Powell to give the horse a pat just before the water. He then took a real hold going out onto the second circuit and was getting there too soon so was well reined back. A superb tactical move by the jockey jumping Bechers second time to take it on the hare rail.

Sadly these days, Rhyme ‘n’ Reason wouldn’t have been on his belly at Bechers first time and the tactics wouldn’t have come into play second time.

Anyway as we all know Durham Edition was cantering all over him coming into the straight but Powell managed to regalvanise him despite the horse’s lack of concentration.Of course he never ran again.
    Also note how far back the saddle was at the finish.

A supreme effort by both horse and rider.

The good old days!

Participant
    • Total Posts 117

I don’t have as big experience in Nationals as you all but if I remember well, Royal Athlete’s may have been my first one.

But my favourite remains Neptune Collonges’ victory even if it was a sad day for the reasons we all know…
    I had been following his career from the very beginning and his first outings at Pau, France. Watching him crossing the line in first position in such a huge race will be unforgettable.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.