The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your Best Bet?

Home Forums Horse Racing Your Best Bet?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Cheltenham 2009, £5 on a Gold Cup Tricast, got me a shade under £600.

Oh, happy day!

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

• Total Posts 140

Flat
    In Time’s Eye – Royal Ascot 2003 has my maximum bet at 14-1 and the horse was heavily backed throughout the day into 5-1. Used a portion of the winnings as deposit on my first flat.

Jumps
    Pigeon Island – Cheltenham this year, had a modest bet with Bet 365 at 40-1 in the morning. Helped restore some losses from the previous few days.

• Total Posts 276

Burrough Hill Lad in the 1984 Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Bred and owned locally, he was always spoken of in local circles as having the potential to be a top notch chaser … after a warm up over hurdles he was allotted 10-3 for the 1983 Welsh National under John Francome … local talk was that he was the biggest certainty of all time and so it proved as he duly hacked up … had already started to lump on for the Gold Cup in early November and backed him through all rates from 50’s, 40’s, 33’s, 25’s and only stopped when his odds dropped below 12/1 after he won the Anthony Mildmay and Gainsborough Chases after Christmas … by the time he won the Jim Ford Chase at Wincanton as his prep for Cheltenham he was down to favourite and I was bricking it … on the day he went off the 7/2 second favourite although I was far from happy that Francome was unable to ride him due to being claimed to ride Brown Chamberlin … however, substitute Phil Tuck gave him a fabulous ride on the day and I shouted myself hoarse when he strode up the hill to beat Francome who had looked a real threat until his mount veered badly right on the run-in … four figure return not long after I’d married was very welcome and the circumstances under which it arrived will always remain firmly fixed in the memory :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Gosh, this is an after-timer’s paradise.

Some very hefty bets on Zarkava for the Arc at 14/1 the day the ante-post markets opened up, which were also the stupidest bets I’ve ever done. I was convinced I’d seen the Arc winner the moment she won the Marcel Boussac. I went to live and work in France for 3 months to see her run in the Classics and broke down crying like a little girl while I was running to the parade ring after she won the Arc so easily. Wasn’t about the money, just the love for the horse.

• Total Posts 403

I laid Beauchamp Pilot on the spreads for a place in the 2002 Hunt Cup after he shipped his jockey before the start and sort of half bolted down the track. He finished 3rd or 4th despite the mishap and I knew that he was massively in front of the handicapper and would win a big one. After being given a poor ride from Fallon from a wide draw in the Magnet Cup which nonetheless proved he stayed beyond a mile I knew he’d be tailor made for the Cambrideshire and started backing him as soon as the prices came out. In those days I was a poorly paid catering supervisor but managed to get £300 on at an average price of 11/1. I was convinced he’d win and he duly did.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Best one for me is the reason I have the username I have…Just being a casual punter as I am this was one of very, very few pieces of genuine inside information I have been given over the years.

I was told in no uncertain terms to back the horse and make sure I took the opening price as soon as it came up…it was a late race so I was in the bookies waiting for quite a while, when it opened up I placed the bet immediately and took the opening 33/1. Within about 2 or 3 minutes it went 25/1, 20/1, 16/1, 14/1, 12/1, 10/1. It’s at that point you get a kind of nice feeling thinking half of the job is done and thinking the info is of high quality.

It was first time out in a bumper and the horse travelled well all the way and absolutely bolted clear to win hard held by 15 lengths. Some info that was and probably info I will never be lucky enough to get again!

The horse had only 3 more runs after that which were PU…10/16…PU..!

The one I’ve gained most satisfaction from by picking myself was Moonax at 66/1 when it won the St.Leger. I backed it purely and simply because I always believe Barry Hills horses are always worth a second look at Doncaster. It will always stay in the memory bank too because it was the day of my sister’s wedding and I sneaked out to watch the race and pick up my winnings!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 7516

VAR on his UK debut in a Listed race at Goodwood in September 2004. He was a turf bred sprinter who had spent his early career running on dirt in America. I backed him at average of around 44/1 on Betfair and he won a length and a half from Ruby Rocket.

Two runs later Var won the Prix De L’Abbaye at Longchamp.

trapper john
    • Total Posts 195

had rock of gibraltar and kazzia in a guinneas double that was probably one of my best bets also big timer at morning price of 40/1 at ascot (in wokingham i think)altough only a small bet it was a memorable one

• Total Posts 2432

Too many to mention; (all your bets should be top quality, otherwise, why are you making them?) but the one I had on

Tartan Gigha

in the Cambridgeshire last year – signposted well in advance on TRF – at 66/1, focusing on Braveheart’s profitable er, inconsistency, was a memorable one.

Beaten a short head in the end by a horse trained by my ultimate bogey trainer, H Morrison, the winnings would have taken me to Santa Anita had it prevailed.

It took me three months – no, longer – to get over that defeat, but looking back, it was a brilliant bet and I only wish I could find one of them a week.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

The aftertiming orgy is relentless….

About five years ago, I really fancied Fight Your Corner to win a 2 mile race at Sandown. I nearly missed the off and managed to just get on in my local bookies, slamming what was then my biggest bet to date of £50 down on the counter. On looking up to see where the horse had been settled, I checked to see the odds and thought it was a non-runner as it wasn’t on the first page of odds, only to see it was on the second page at 20/1. It didn’t occur to me to check the early price and never had time to, which was a good thing back in those days.

Held up stone last by Kerrin McEvoy, the horse was still last turning in. I then watched as he sythed down the outside to get up what looked by a nose at first, due to the angle….

A nice round bag o’sand remains my biggest draw to date, and McEvoy was, and still is, the greatest jockey ever. :wink:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

McEvoy was, and still is, the greatest jockey ever. :wink:

I know what you mean, OTS.

I had a treble on South Central (11/4), Michita (100/30) and Collection (10/1) at Royal Ascot a couple of years ago – which I did put up on here a good few hours before the first race – and don’t think I’ve ever shouted at the TV more than when cheering McEvoy home on the latter.

Participant
    • Total Posts 443

Haven’t been at this long but Starspangledbanner in the GJ, and Markab in the Haydock Sprint – both 16/1 ante post were nice. Equiano missing out by a head in the July Cup would have made it a 6f G1 "treble".

Most memorable though is probably Weekend Hussler in the Randwick Guineas at odds on winning by a nose. Had a whole weeks wages on him! Saved my blushes and a kicking from the girlfriend!

Randwick Guineas:

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result … &popup=yes

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

One that I remember fondly, because the win looked very unlikely two out, is Blazing Dawn-Hunters’ Chase at NA May 02.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Thanks for all the replies! Nice to see a few positive stories on here for a change. ;0)

Did actually rather enjoy these stories!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Excluding personal stuff I’ve had some real crackers and been very lucky Namely Don’t Push It, Zenyatta, Zarkava, Binocular, Yeats, Kauto Star every time he’s won the King George at long odds everytime.

But the bet that was the most memorable bet for more reasons than one was the Jackpot 6 The day Jonjo won the Gold Cup on Dawn run.

I had heard through the grapevine that Dawn Run winning was a life and death bet for JP McManus and decided to have the kicthen sink on.

I had read in the paper someone had just won 85,000 pounds on the Jackpot 6 at Cheltenham with Hills. i had some spare cash after placing a bet on Dawn Run and thought I’d have a crack at that, taking 2 or 3 horses in each race as you do. My win stake was only 2.5p.

Solar Cloud ridden by Scu kicked off the bet winning at 40/1.

In the 2nd or 3rd race, cant remember which, I had 3 selections who came to the last in a line and it didn’t matter which one won. Charter Party won at around 10 or 12/1

The one that esacpes me won at similar odds and then it was down to Dawn Run my only selction in the Gold Cup.

I’m already cockaloop by this time as Dawn Run has won and Ive got a right few quid going on to Jobroke who’s about 12/1 12/1 to win the County Hurdle but it turns out he’s the subject of amassive gamble and his odds tumble like crazy. I think he went off around 4/1 or 7/2 which cut my lunch by a fair bit but thankfully won.

In the last I have 2 horses Half Free a short priced fav and Western Sunset. In between them in the betting is Wayward Lad if memory serves me well.

With bonuses etc I’m bang on target to win 85K if Western Sunset Wins.

At the last Hywel Davies brought Western Sunset with a perfectly timed run and took it up. I was counting my dosh when half way up the hill he stopped like shot and Half Free fought back to win with Wayward Lad in 2nd and Wstern Sunset only 3rd.

Well I was going bonkers. cursing like a looney because Western Sunset had lost until my mate said wtf is the matter with you, you just won over 10,00 quid for the second time today. I had totally lost the plot for aminute and said sh1t your right.

The payout turned out to be 14,324 pounds with bonuses.

Unforgetable experience

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Fist i thought you would have known

Wayward Lad

ran in Dawn runs Gold Cup! :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The Mighty Mac

jumped the last in front of Western sunset,who was a bit of a Bridle horse and as you say Half Free ran past the pair of them! The Hunter Chase was the race you were refering to and it was won by your mate Rubys Dad on Attitude Adjuster at 10/1! Its still a great story though! :)

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.