The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

wrong name

Home Forums Horse Racing wrong name

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tontoe
    • Total Posts 24

:mrgreen: My friend placed a bet yesterday sunday on the last race of the day he intended to back a horse called quiet whisper which won at 15/2 but he wrote on his betting slip quiet affair the bookmaker voided his bet and returned his stake. there was no horse in the race with affair in its name so in my book I think he should have been paid at 15/2. What are the rules on this and what views do you all hold the bookmaker is an independant bookmaker.

tontoe
    • Total Posts 24

:roll: Sorry the bet was untimed but it could only be intended for the last race of the day that being the only race left.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

It really depends on how well the person gets on with the bookie. If it was timed then the case would be stronger but an untimed mis-named horse is a classic ploy by those wanting 2 chances. If the horse loses punter presents ticket saying there was no horse, if it wins claims that it was what he intended.
    If it was a stranger in the shop I would view it as him being a chancer and voided as well. The onus is on the customer to make their instructions clear, timing a bet is a vital piece of information.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

I agree in general with EF, if a board price was taken though you would have a stronger case.

tontoe
    • Total Posts 24

:mrgreen: Is this post dead now after just 2 answers?????

tontoe
    • Total Posts 24

‘3.2 Should you WRONGLY SPELL a named selection the bet will stand provided that only one runner could possibly be intended. However, where the ambiguous selection combines the name of two or more runners, if we are unable to distinguish between two selections in the same race with similar names, then the stakes will be split. Where the first word/first letters do not uniquely define a selection, the race time will determine the intention. In any other instance the selection will be void.’
    The above rule is taken from Corals betting rules would that not cover my question? Would the first sentance not cover my friend with his wrong named bet.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

As I said initially it really depends if your friend is a regular in that shop and is known to the bookmaker. If he or she makes a habit of namely horses wrongly but is essentially genuine then I’m sure the bookie would pay up. If they went in there with no previous form in the shop, then an untimed bet on a selection not running looks suspicious. Another old scam could be that there was a dog running later with a similar name and if the first selection loses the punter argues it was the dog he meant.
    The thrust of the matter is to make the instructions clear and avoid ambiguity.

tontoe
    • Total Posts 24

:mrgreen: MY friend has been betting with this bookmaker for over 40 years. The bookmakers shop is attached to a workingmans club. My friend had had a few drinks at the time of placing the bet but was by no means drunk. I have had a problem with the same bookmaker myself he refused to pay me on a forecast bet when only one horse finished posted on here previously I took him to IBAS and won my case and got my money. He will do anything to avoid paying out on a bet and he’s been ripping off the club customers for years.

tontoe
    • Total Posts 24

:mrgreen: I seem to have two user names on this forum must have joined twice I am currently logged in as tontoe. My other name pertaining to my f/cast bet is tony007

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

It seems the bookmaker is old old old old school. However it must be said Alcohol and gambling are not the best bedfellows!

I might suggest a designated writer for that point in the afternoon when the betting slip takes on mysterious properties! :lol:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.