The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Worst stewards decisions ever??

Home Forums Horse Racing Worst stewards decisions ever??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Surfing about youtube and i found this clip concerning Royal Gait and the 1988 Ascot Gold Cup. I still cant understand what the officials were doing. Anyone else think of a few daft ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYBK37DZ … re=related

SHL

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Cash Asmussen made a move that was dangerous causing Conquistador Cuelo to become unbalanced and Tony Clark to part company with the horse, thereby rendering any chance that horse had of winning non-existant. Therefore the stewards had no alternative but to disqualify him. It was an appalling piece of race riding as had Asmussen waited a few strides longer he would not have endangered the life of one of his fellow professionals.

Of course if you think that knocking one’s competitors off their mounts is an acceptable part of race riding then you could draw the conclusion that you have.

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2071

Pizarro – 2002 Champion Bumper

Surely should have been chucked out for barging Rhinestone Cowboy, intimidating Back In Front, then squeezing Rhinestone Cowboy into the rail again in the final furlong.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2937

Surfing about youtube and i found this clip concerning Royal Gait and the 1988 Ascot Gold Cup. I still cant understand what the officials were doing. Anyone else think of a few daft ones?

A shocking decision, it was at worst careless riding and bear in mind the horse whose jockey fell off was a beaten and retreating horse who easily became unbalanced. Royal Gait barely came off a true line and the leader moved over as well.
    Thankfully it would not happen these days.

Royal Ascot seem to have had it’s fair share of bad decisions over the years, I would imagine the 1974 Queen Anne was even worse when the first three home (Confusion, Gloss & Royal Perogative) were all disqualified!

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2676

Absolutely bonkers decision with Royal Gait making no contact whatsoever with El Conquistador who lurched into the rail on his own volition.

Mind, the subsequent 1992 Champion Hurdle winner seemingly had a penchant for creating news and it was said that if any horse has had the pleasure of lying on shredded newspaper of his own stories, it would probably be him!

Interesting that his Champion Hurdle success (as a novice) was preceded by two warm-up runs at the now defuct NH venue that is Nottingham.

Mike

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

El Conquistador my apologies, but when you see the head on, there is contact, Asmussen goes for a non-existent gap that causes him to become unbalanced. It was an unnecessary and dangerous move, had he not knocked Tony Clark off his horse by his actions then I suspect he would have kept the race.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4708

Dar Re Mi/Stacelita in the 2009 Vermeille. What a farce.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

I remember Docklands express defeat of Cahervillahow in 1991 causes a lot of controversy. Over here, there was a feeling that it was a bit anti-irish

SHL

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

The Royal Gait disqualification was a disgrace, well summed up by Richard Edmondson in his article:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/raci … 66178.html

Sure things got a bit tight, but Clark’s fading horse became unbalanced and he just fell off.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

How about the Richmond Stakes on 83 when both Vacarme and the second Creag-an-Sgor were thrown out:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMoGfpi914I

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

Pizarro – 2002 Champion Bumper

Surely should have been chucked out for barging Rhinestone Cowboy, intimidating Back In Front, then squeezing Rhinestone Cowboy into the rail again in the final furlong.

Seconded, I think I had 7/1 about the ‘winner’. I always wondered about how bothered connections were considering O’Grady trained Nick Dundee for them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.