The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Worse racecourse of the yr 2014. Let’s start with Warwick

Home Forums Horse Racing Worse racecourse of the yr 2014. Let’s start with Warwick

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    redremi
    • Total Posts 27

Wow where do I begin!

1) not admitting me as a paying customer at the top end of the course, despite there being some form of entrance and asking me to walk to the other end of the course circa half mile in the pouring rain

2) shutting bars to save money, making remaining bars uncomfortable despite charging one standard members entrance fee

3) ruined the nicest bar and turned into weighing room I think

4) big screen on the blink but no PA announcement

5) advertised a discount on pre booked tickets for classic and kingmaker not informing that the booking fee eroded 25 per cent of discount

6) never responses to written customer feedback despite requesting it

7) and finally organises some frost covers but doesn’t get them down in time!

Warwick … Happy new yr. May 2015 bring joy and prosperity to all those that encounter her

Participant
    • Total Posts 189

Bath. They knocked the grandstand down. Their website doesn’t suggest a new one will be built. What is the plan?

• Total Posts 469

I second warwick.

Mess up the watering in summer. Believe the weather forecast and don’t use the frost covers they have available in winter. Time for the clerk to find a new career I think. I mean come on, no-one believes a weather forecast!

And don’t get me started on the terrible attitude to customers.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Haven’t been there for many years but Worcester is a dump. With their yearly flooding problems I’m amazed they haven’t closed the place and let nearby Hereford stay open.

Its academic now as it closed but Folkestone wasn’t a pretty course and I’m not sure anyone misses it.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I’m with OkJoe, has to be Bath. The horse racing is a sideshow on Lansdown Hill nowadays. I don’t think there are any meetings that aren’t marketed as ‘C-List Band or Tribute Band, also racing’.

The main Grandstand is gone because they want everyone to picnic in the middle of the course and listen to the music. The racing takes such a backseat, as is shown by the concrete-like firm conditions which they serve up for most meetings. Trainers are nervous about running their horses on that going and field sizes are poor.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

I haven’t been to Warwick for about 8 years. What puts me off in winter is having to drive over the course to park in a bog on the inside of the track and then walk back over to the stands. Years ago I seem to remember plenty of parking on the outside of the track near the entrance.

In any case I won’t be going back now that it’s jumping only!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

In 30 years of backing horses I can’t recall ever having placed a bet on a race at Bath. I don’t even bother looking to see what is running there and if Frankel had clashed with Kingman at Bath, I’d rather have stayed at home to listen to The Archers.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Don’t have a problem with Warwick. But don’t get me going on Chepstow. Pricey, traffic jams, poor access to Tatts……

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

Chepstow is the pits and has been totally ruined by ARC,I used to go once a month but despite living 20mins away I don’t go near the place and judging by this weeks bad press I haven’t missed anything.
    When I think of that lovely old paddock and winners enclosure and all the gold cup horses I used to see there,I find it all rather sad

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Shame no-one else has woken up to the rubbish that ARC brings to racing

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

I must admit I quite like Warwick as a racecouse.
    I like the views at a track as I am old fashioned and use binoculars to watch the race which so few people do these days and Warwick is a good view.
    The worst viewing tracks I have been to are Cartmel and Chepstow so they would be my 2 worst racecourses

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I find Bath quite draining, Ayr refreshing, Fakenham unreal, Bangor loud, Goodwood well furnished, Musselburgh a bit fishy, and Ripon a tear-up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

like the views at a track as I am old fashioned and use binoculars to watch the race which so few people do these days and Warwick is a good view.
    The worst viewing tracks I have been to are Cartmel and Chepstow so they would be my 2 worst racecourses

Funnily enough I found Chepstow OK with a good pair of bins (except when some p****d up wally thought it hilarious to cover the lenses suggesting why have binoculars when you can watch on the big screen? (tw*t!)

With Warwick, I couldn’t see half the track – although I was probably hampered by having my (then) three year old in tow so I presume didn’t find the best position in the stands.

From my experience best & worst viewing tracks (with bins as necessary) that I’ve been to are…

BEST…
    Wolverhampton
    Kempton
    Fontwell
    Ludlow
    Cheltenham (if you pick your spot)

WORST…
    Aintree
    Newmarket July Course
    Warwick

Not been racing much since the kids were born so can’t really comment on best on worst based on facilities and experience (in the last 5-6 years).

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

My worst racecourse in 2014 would have to be Redcar. It was my first visit and to be fair it was a cold, wet, miserable spring day. It doesn’t lift the mood however, to drive through a graveyard to the car park and the place just seemed run-down. The view of the factories from the stand doesn’t help either.

I was there as part of a syndicate with a runner and the owners and trainers facilities are pretty basic and unwelcoming – the man on the gate told us that we might get a biscuit with our coffee "if we were lucky"! We weren’t lucky!!

I won’t be rushing to go back.

Participant
    • Total Posts 960

I like the views at a track as I am old fashioned and use binoculars to watch the race which so few people do these days and Warwick is a good view.

You’re spot on, the most important part of the racing experience is the viewing. If I want to watch racing on a TV screen I’ll sit at home with a coffee.

The best viewing I’ve come across is on top of the grandstand at Ayr. Spectacular.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

I think it is nice to be nice so I prefer to focus ony favourite racecourses – Newbury and Windsor.

Why? The horses I bet on at both seem to show a propensity to win. :)

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

• Total Posts 469

I like the racecourse and the viewing; the management make it really hard to enjoy going there nowadays. Pricey as well considering the quality of races most days.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.