The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

World Cup 2006

Home Forums Lounge World Cup 2006

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

And if not why not?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

No.

And if not why not?

Why should I?

England is just one of our neighbours that has qualified.

They’re no more logical a choice than Sweden, Denmark, Holland or France.  

The difference is we don’t have to listen to the Swedish, Danish, Dutch or French commentators and pundits whine every time a decision goes against them or isn’t given to them.

I’ll be backing the French as usual, but they’ll achieve ****
    all as they’re just a bunch of lazy ponces.

Steve      

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

Like most Scots we are not bias. We do not really care who beats England at sport.

We can stand shoulder to shoulder in war but when it comes to sport you are on your own mate. Why anyone can find that a problem and except rivialy between local teams such as Arsenal/Tottenham/Chelse/London based etc or Liverpool/Everton is a mistery to me. It is supposed to be sport not really life and death.

Agree with Stevedvg as someone objective who has to continnually listen to the English Press hype and pundits. That is who we really dislike. They are the real enemies of English Sport.

If we are going to be zenophobic actually I like the English much more than the French.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

No.

<br>Because I’m a Scot, though I’ll obviously not want England to lose every game they play because English players have been good to my club over the years and we still have players although now retired that keep in touch with us to this day, Butcher, Hateley, Steven, Stevens, Wilkins, Roberts, Hurlock, Woods, Drinkell to name a few, at the same time though I don’t want them to win it.

We have had a strong Dutch contingent in recent years so I’ll be rooting for them to win it (we have a few at the club just now) and I also think they are the best nation never to won the world cup, they are due it so good luck to them.

Holland for me!

<br>ps. I don’t dislike the English as a nation but I do dislike a few English people especially in the game and in the media.

<br>Rule Britannia ;)

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Quote: from stevedvg on 10:33 pm on Mar. 19, 2006[br]<br>Why should I?

They’re no more logical a choice than Sweden, Denmark, Holland or France.  

The difference is we don’t have to listen to the Swedish, Danish, Dutch or French commentators and pundits whine every time a decision goes against them or isn’t given to them.

I’ll be backing the French as usual, but they’ll achieve ****<br> all as they’re just a bunch of lazy ponces.

Steve      <br>

If you want to talk about commentators I can do that. I have the misfortune of going to a university in Scotland and so get Scottish BBC and ITV. It was Saturday afternoon, the rugby was on. Have Scots ever heard of neutrality? They weren’t calling it down the middle they were whinging, moaning and appealing over every decision. "Come on you Scots hold on" "That looked a biased decision against the Scots". After hearing that no-one can say the English commentary is as biased. And more to the point, if all you Scots hate England why do so many of you move into England? Love or leave.

Scottish Jamie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 123

Shall I be supporting England….erm…No!! Of course not.

FSL has made our point for us regarding biased commentary etc and how deeply annoying it is. The difference is that the Scottish commentators are only broadcast in Scotland so the rest of the UK do not have to listen, unless they happen to be in Scotland at the time. In the world cup we shall have the hateful Clive Tyldsley and John "Motty" Motson broadcasting their biased commentary to the entire UK like it or not. How would England fans feel if they had to listen to the Germans coverage celebrating German goals/wins etc.

I have no problem with the England players, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard & Michael Owen for example come across as perfectly decent & reasonable men but the media and commentators make it unbearable with their "Johnny Foreigner" attitude, as if we were still in Imperial times and the English are the superior race. If that was all confined to England’s borders then fair enough but they broadcast to a UK audience and the rest of us dont want to hear it. The sooner they are out the sooner we can all relax and enjoy the rest of the tournament.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2155

the leaders of the main political parties at westminster go by the names  blair/brown, cameron and campbell.

…and none of these jocks will be looking for any reflected glory if england have any measure of success ?

<br>best regards

wit

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Is Cameron Scottish?

After hearing that no-one can say the English commentary is as biased

I can.

Go back 2 years and England’s disallowed "goal" against Potugal. The commentators spent the rest of the match whining about it.

However, anyone could see from the replay that the keeper had been fouled. And, even if he hadn’t, the England "scorer" was offside!

Still, whine whine….

As Jamie said, our commentators may see the world through a pair of tartan specs, but they’re for the home audience only.

Having said all that, you should hear the commentators abroad.

There’s nothing even handed when France are playing and Jean-Michel are on the mic. It’s 90 minutes of "allez les bleues".

There’s the belgian commentator who called his own goalie a "****
    " after giving away a goal to Sweden in Euro 2000.

And, my favourite, the Spanish commentator who said that the Italians were "just a bunch of whore’s sons" after they broke Luis Enrique’s nose in 1994. <br> <br>Steve  

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

There is no reason why a Scot should support the English football team. As an Englishman, I do tend to support Scotland and Wales should they qualify for the world cup (though not Ireland) but that is a personal choice.

The World Cup is the event I look forward to the most but the pathetic jingoism, the proliferation of silly little red and white flags, the face-painting and the utter gibberish spoken by every presenter on every television and news channel grows more depressing with every tournament.

For me, there are two World Cups. The one involving England, in which I do get involved and excited by but which usually ends by the quarter-finals and the more interesting one, involving the world’s best football teams in a month of top class competition.

What irritates the hell out of me is, the day after England get knocked out, all the newspapers, hangers-on and media personalities behave as though the competition is over and no-one wants to see a bunch of foreigners playing. Since 1982 (the first World Cup I remember) I have loved every minute of every competition and it doesn’t matter at all to me whether England are there or not.

Incidentally, my younger brother, who is as English as I am, used to support Scotland rather than England because Kenny Dalglish was his favourite player.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

OI ! Twister!

You prove your ignorance again about knowing what I think!

I have heard so much talk about how " on paper, England are the best team in the world".

My reply to them is "its a shame that there not so good on grass".

I hope that England do well, and go onto the quarter finals, as it makes for a good night down the local. As for anything else, I know that their better than you Jocks, but I wont be wearing the 3 lions on my shirt.

What does annoy me is the fact that a poor England rugby team get beaten by an even poorer Team from Scotland.

I hate football, and you should know that!  

As for supporting other home nations. I will always support the Irish because of their passion for the game. But if your hated by the Taffs and the Sweatties, why support them back?

BTW.

Just to prove my earlier point. Its now 7 London boroughs that the white English man is now the minority!;)

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Why should I?

SteveDG asks.

But we’re the neighbours that subsidise you. :wincup:

Seven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 607

On the point of commentators I was in Italy last year and there was a journalists strike. They broadcast an Italian international game on TV but they did so without commentators. It was heaven. I wish they’d do the same here.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

God yes – the only thing that will spoil the World Cup is bloody Motson

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

But we’re the neighbours that subsidise you.

That’s right, we are the neighbours that subsidise you.

However, once our oil runs out, you can start subsidising us!

Steve

Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

As an Englishman I used to cheer fellow UK’ers on, but after the last world cup with me realising on here it wasn’t a two-way thing (actually to the point of buying England’s opponents shirts to cheer on for the night!) I now am totally opposite and treat them like a local team you like to see lose!

Luckily they lose more often than not! :biggrin:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.