The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

World Athletics Championships

Home Forums General Sports World Athletics Championships

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

With the event just about to start can anyone suggest which are the best sites for athletics stats?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

European-athletics.org and Usatf.org offer some useful information, but Iaaf.org (http://berlin.iaaf.org for the World Championship site) is probably your best bet.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Thanks, betting never easy because of athletes possibly carrying injuries and the need to get a high percentage of winners.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I’m pissed off with the BBC coverage of the World Athletics Championships already.

They were just chatting in the studio and also showing an interview with Jennifer Ennis, so I thought it must be a few minutes to the heat. Did a bit of channel-hopping to come back to find I had missed the race. Highlights.
    I was also looking forward to watching the heats of the Women’s 3000 Steeplechase, for which they had highlighted a couple of runners, including Galkina the World Champion. Turned out to be just the last lap. I don’t think they should highlight runners, if they are only going to show a brief, edited, highlight. It builds up a false expectation in the viewer.

Coverage was a lot better a couple of years ago in Osaka, when it was in the middle of the night.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

I’m pissed off with the BBC coverage of the World Athletics Championships already.

They were just chatting in the studio and also showing an interview with Jennifer Ennis, so I thought it must be a few minutes to the heat. Did a bit of channel-hopping to come back to find I had missed the race. Highlights.
    I was also looking forward to watching the heats of the Women’s 3000 Steeplechase, for which they had highlighted a couple of runners, including Galkina the World Champion. Turned out to be just the last lap. I don’t think they should highlight runners, if they are only going to show a brief, edited, highlight. It builds up a false expectation in the viewer.

Coverage was a lot better a couple of years ago in Osaka, when it was in the middle of the night.

If you take the sport seriously forget BBC and go with Eurosport – commentators may not be brilliant but at least you will see the live action rather than hearing a chat (usually about our own competitors).

Galkina will take a lot of beating – I went each way on Zarudneva who is improving and looks a better technician – prior to the heats. Bookmakers have all shortened up Galkina and are now win only. Much will depend on whether the field allow Galkina an ‘easy lead’.

I would be looking to oppose Sanya Richards again in the 400 metres.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You’re a braver man than I, stilvi, given the form Sanya Richards has shown this year. Unless Christine Ohuruogu has improved by two seconds over the last 4-6 weeks, she won’t see which way Richards goes.

Kerron Clement looks an outstanding bet for the 400m Hurdles at 7/4 (Betfred), but Britain’s David Greene was mightily impressive in beating Angelo Taylor in the heats and has to be worth a small interest at 66/1 (Betfred).

Betting in the men’s 100m and 200m is rendered utterly pointless by Usain Bolt – his second round run was beyond words, though it did offer some hope that a new world record (8/11) will be set – but the men’s 400m, and women’s 200m, look a little more competitive. The former lies between LaShawn Merritt and Jeremy Wariner, with preference for Wariner at 13/8 (Betfred), and the latter should be a stroll for Allyson Felix at 1/2 (Betfred). I’ll double them up and hope for the best.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

You’re a braver man than I, stilvi, given the form Sanya Richards has shown this year. Unless Christine Ohuruogu has improved by two seconds over the last 4-6 weeks, she won’t see which way Richards goes.

Kerron Clement looks an outstanding bet for the 400m Hurdles at 7/4 (Betfred), but Britain’s David Greene was mightily impressive in beating Angelo Taylor in the heats and has to be worth a small interest at 66/1 (Betfred).

Betting in the men’s 100m and 200m is rendered utterly pointless by Usain Bolt – his second round run was beyond words, though it did offer some hope that a new world record (8/11) will be set – but the men’s 400m, and women’s 200m, look a little more competitive. The former lies between LaShawn Merritt and Jeremy Wariner, with preference for Wariner at 13/8 (Betfred), and the latter should be a stroll for Allyson Felix at 1/2 (Betfred). I’ll double them up and hope for the best.

Nothing brave about about it. Sanya Richards has been a consistent underachiever on the big occasion whereas Ohuruogu has never raced very frequently but has peaked at the right times. Up to now Richards would be looking at the equivalent of a Timeform squiggle. I am happy to have two 10/1 ‘runners’.

I have backed Greene each-way at 40/1 – when I checked earlier the 66/1 appeared to be prior to the first round.

Not sure what to make of Bolt – I have a feeling he is unlikely to reproduce his Olympic form. Personally, I would like to see Gay beat him.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I’m glad there’s a discussion going. I’ll have a regular look-in.

I’ve never bet on athletics, and don’t feel the need to. I love watching it as it is.

By the way, apologies. Jessica, not Jennifer. :oops:

I used to watch Eurosport in my previous life Stilvi, so I know about it. David Duffield talking for 6 hours during the Tour de France, mentioning what he ate and drank last night. :lol: I really loved it during the Atlanta Olympics, when for 4 or 5 hours from 11pm to 4am I think there was uninterrupted coverage of boxing, with the commentators chatting about the greats of the past.

The worst aspect of the BBC is the interviews with the athletes. Sportsmen never have anything to say. Phil Jones interviewing one British loser after another, as they exit the track. :evil:

Anyway, I’ve decided I’m going to start working overtime again, once the Championships are over, and get myself a kick-arse television and then satellite connection.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I thought the most impressive performance this morning was by the American Somoan woman in the 100m. If the athletes’ times were divided by their weight, I think she’d easily be first! :lol:

I was interested this morning in Denise Lewis saying that the frequent soft tissue injuries of athletes may be helped to be caused by the constant massaging pre and post training sessions – that the muscles don’t build up resilience. It maybe due to my own natural laziness, but I was most impressed a few years ago when I heard or read that there had never been any scientific proof established that warming-up before exercise reduces the chances of pulled muscles. Now, I don’t know whether that is actually true, and if it is true, whether it means that the scientific studies have been held, or whether no one has ever bothered to carry one out.

[Of course one has to warm up to perform better, I’m just questioning whether it reduces injury.]

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Surprised that no one has posted on here today.

I was thinking at Beijing that Bolt could run 9.49, so he’s still got another tenth to go.

I’ve been thinking back to my childhood, when I couldn’t conceive that anyone could ever run under 9.80

What time do people reckon the 100m will be reduced to in our lifetime?

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Hard to believe he’s still only 22. He might be able to shave another tenth or so off that time by the time he hangs up the spikes. Who knows??

Any truth in the rumour Sheikh Mohammed has put in an offer!! :lol:

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Cracking run by Bolt, Sheer joy and Poetry in Motion.

Great for Jessica Ennis in getting a gold and this should give us a kick start to get some more medals.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Second favourite for the women’s 100 metres, Carmelita Jeter of USA, has an outstanding chance of winning this race.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Yes H, that’s what I thought after seeing the Crystal Palace performance.

The Women’s 400m is a bit difficult, with 5 of the finalists recording SBs in the semis. That seems to put Stilvi on the high ground against Equitrack at the moment.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

The ease with which Kerron Stewart won her heat was Bolt-esque.

The last time I saw a woman break the 11 second barrier with such ease was back in the days of Flo Jo – who gave up the game just before mandatory drug testing was about to be implemented in 89′.

I fancy her to run under 10.70 in the final which will be good enough, and the 8/11 looks rather tasty.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Yes H, that’s what I thought after seeing the Crystal Palace performance.

The Women’s 400m is a bit difficult, with 5 of the finalists recording SBs in the semis. That seems to put Stilvi on the high ground against Equitrack at the moment.

I think you are doing Equitrack a disservice. I still have a doubt about Richards in the final but it is very unlikely that the two I have backed will be able to exploit any frailties.

Greene has run two exceptionally good races – one more will hopefully be good enough for a medal.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Sanya Richards is a completely different proposition this season and I don’t think Ohuruogu has the pace to cope with her. The American has finally worked out how to pace herself in her races (I can’t remember, before this season, having ever seen her not run hard for the first 300m) and her development was evident in how easily she won her semi-final. The time of 50.21 wasn’t exceptional by any means, but having sat on Ohuruogu’s shoulder for 250m she quickened away and was in cruise control for the final 60-70m.

Of the seven women Richards faces in the final, only Krivoshapka is a serious threat. She’s drawn well in five, has already run 49.29 this season and will get a good tow in to the race from the Jamaicans on either side. Richards perhaps isn’t as well positioned in three, but should have a fair pace guide in Shericka Williams on her outside and now has the finishing kick to put the race to bed early in the straight. She boasts the fastest time recorded this year (49.23) and looks capable of troubling her personal best of 48.70.

Ohuruogu in seven has no chance (though I’m perfectly prepared to be proved wrong).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.