The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Wolverhampton

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

<br>Went to Wolverhampton yesterday to watch Salute run in the last and found myself at a meeting unlike any other I’ve seen there since the Polytrack was laid.

Five of the six winners were horses that stuck to the inside rail throughout and anything racing three wide of the rail was well beaten. The surface was also riding very fast, with a new course record in the 12F 3-y-old handicap, knocking 1.3 secs off the previous best.

The only winner that raced away from the rail was Valance and he was never more than one wide and beat a front runner that seemed to run out of stamina over 14F.

Assuming this bias remains in place this evening, there are some wide drawn favourites that are likely to struggle. One point to note though is that yesterdays meeting had no race shorter than 7F (another unique feature for Wolverhampton) and possibly the bias I observed won’t be so significant at sprint trips.

The horse to take out of the meeting is probably the Godolphin runner in the 3-y-old race, Hunters Glen, who was off the rail throughout and ended up in the middle of the track in the straight. He’s a really good looking colt and surely much better than this form would suggest.

AP

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

What was your impression of the winner of that race, STEPPE DANCER, Alan?

It’s a horse I’ve been following since his winning run on Kempton’s Polytrack in the Spring, looked to have lots of scope at that time and he looks to be still improving.

Colin

Colin

slipperytoad
    • Total Posts 419

Thanks AP..  ;)

Sky+ at the ready as I’m betting two against Caustic Wit (Limonia & Desert Opal) in the 7:30 tonight.. <br>

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

Good news hopefully for Kahlua Bear in the 7.30 then,drawn 2.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

<br>Colin,

Very taken with Steppe Dancer physically – he’s tall, rangy and a fluent mover and it’s reasonable to assume he can only be better as a 4-y-old when he’s filled out. Possibly flattered yesterday by being able to track the leader round the inside, but the time compares very favourably with Salute’s race.

Not sure where they can go with him, as he looks too big to be comfortable round Lingfield, too weak to handle soft ground on turf and there aren’t any many races elsewhere for a horse with his rating. I think if he was mine, I’d be planning a trip to Dubai next spring.

AP

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Now i’ve read this, can we have the thread removed please?:biggrin:

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Quote: from davidjohnson on 10:01 am on Aug. 31, 2006[br]Now i’ve read this, can we have the thread removed please?:biggrin:

Seconded…. :biggrin:

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Thanks for your reply, Alan.

Colin

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

<br> It could, of course, just be the weather.<br> The CofC agreed that the surface was looser in June/July, maybe the rain has returned the surface to its natural bias.

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

I much prefer the magic tractor one Reet… :cheesy:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from stav on 2:31 pm on Aug. 31, 2006 But then again Reet probably just wants to believe the opposite of what I think :biggrin: <br>

Which, given the Redcar draw fiasco, the ‘slowly run’ Derby & Ascot Gold Cup being unreliable form, the July meeting with its transient draw bias, and the dishing of any decent race where horses finish close to the principals, must rank me as one of the more perceptive on this  board!:biggrin:

(Edited by reet hard at 12:30 am on Sep. 1, 2006)

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Reets got it right yet again.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Please don’t let this thread degenerate into another slanging match FFS.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from stav on 2:31 pm on Aug. 31, 2006[br]Imo it’s almost certainly down to human intervention.

If track records are being broken just two meetings after the going was as slow as it was, then it’s unfeasible to think that a little bit of rain has had such a dramatic change. If the slight change in weather has caused this then how fast will it be in Nov? :laugh:

But then again Reet probably just wants to believe the opposite of what I think :biggrin:

(Edited by stav at 2:32 pm on Aug. 31, 2006)<br>

Two races at Kempton gone, (same surface) 2 course records fallen.<br>Recent rainfall………..or ‘Divine intervention’?:biggrin: :biggrin:

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

The’ve got a new tractor :cool: ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.