The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Windmills…in my mind?

Home Forums Horse Racing Windmills…in my mind?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Of late, I’ve noticed a style of riding that has me perplexed. It might be that I’m wrongly focussing on and being critical of these particular performances because they’ve been losers (some things never change) but part of me seems to be suspicious of what appears to be over-exaggerated arm movements with the intention of seeming to be going through the motions of trying. It involves having both hands on the reigns but then a vigorous circular arm action in a windmill style that seems to have no particlar benefit in persuading the horse to go faster. Is this a skill that is quite common and can anyone with horse riding knowledge please explain?
    Thanks
    K

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

It might be helpful to have an example. Are they riding for Mick Channon?

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Sorry Stilvi, the names of the horses in question have been filed in the labirynth of losing bets to be quickly erased from my memory. The names frequently change to protect the innocent but the visual impact of these pathetic rides lingers on.
    Cheers
    K
    Channon? Didn’t he used to do windmills after scoring goals?

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Edit:

Sorry, completely misread Ken’s post – have no idea what I’m on about

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Many thanks, Pomp. re use of the whip; but when my money is down I have no objection whatsoever as to how jockeys use their persuaders – windmill, rat-a-tat-tat, down from the clouds, throw the kitchen sink etc. – provided they throw the horse blanket on before they enter the winners enclosure and I don’t have to see the whip marks; the main thing is that they get first place. How they do it is beyond me and down to the stewards. If the jockey gets a ban, does it really matter as long as I can pick up my winnings? You bet it doesn’t. However, when my money is not down then I become as interested in the welfare of horses as any normal, decent, human being should be. I detest cruelty.
    My thread was more about non-use of the whip and a ‘flapping’ circular motion of the reigns using both hands wide apart, in a forward circular motion.
    K

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

I may be wrong here but i’m assuming it’s to wave the whip so the horse belives he’s getting whipped/ encouraged. Not sure if he can see it or rather sense being raised but can understand that it could push the horse on in that it wants to ‘get away’ from the whip/ object behind him…? Maybe believing that it’s another horse gunning him down… Totally wrong i should think but that’s what i had assumed. haha

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

I can think of a few amateurs on the Northern jump circuit who are quite adept at the technique. However, I suspect it has more to with lack of ability than any desire not to try.

Ken, sorry to stick to a hackneyed theme, but the phrase ‘filed in the labirynth of losing bets to be quickly erased from my memory’ was not the most advisable to drop into your post! Examples would be helpful.

Rob

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Come on, Rob. When you get to my age, it’s difficult to remember not only when I last went to the loo but where the loo is!
    K
    p.s. I’ll try to get back to the thread on this point and rack my brains in the meantime.

highjumper
    • Total Posts 26

From what you have said Ken, I think that the jockeys you have been watching are changing their hands and ‘scrubbing’. Some jocks seem to be more exagerated (and more effective) than others. Some horses seem to respond to a wide changing of the hands (a la Keiran Fallon) more than others.
    I have seen some jockeys though that are pretty feeble at this (either intentional or not), they are the ones that look very weak in the saddle and usually the horses don’t seem to run for them (again, either intentional or not!).

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Yes, thanks High and Rob, both your comments lead me to believe that it’s more a case of "this horse isn’t going anywhere but the least I can do is to show that I’m putting the effort in."
    I suppose it must be a horrible feeling thinking you were in with a chance and then the horse seeming to go in reverse gear. so it’s probably not hard to imagine less experienced jockeys panicking and losing all semblance of style.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

‘happy’ is probably somewhere near the mark with that last remark. You will often see a jockey waving his whip hand in the closing stages to give the horse the idea he is using the whip, and I’m sure that action alone is enough to encourage a horse to keep going. A touch of the Pavlov’s dogs’ reaction from the horse.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.