The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Wick Academy Vs Halkirk Match Report

Home Forums General Sports Wick Academy Vs Halkirk Match Report

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

As you’ll be aware The Racing Forum have adopted Wick Academy as the ‘official’ team of the Forum. Thought it’d add a bit of fun to this section of the site over the winter.

Wick Academy 4 Halkirk Utd 0

Last night at the Harmsworth Park, Academy’s home ground, their competitive season got under way with a tie against local rivals Halkirk in the 1st round of the Nutel North Of Scotland Cup. Academy have a good record in this Cup, having reached multiple semi-finals over the years.

Conditions were bright but pretty cold by full time. Plenty warmth in the Academy dressing room after the game, however, as they were simply too good for Halkirk and ran out easy winners in the end. The Academy goal tally could easily have been doubled as they had chance after chance in the second half, Halkirk’s goalkeeper sparing them a real drubbing.

Halkirk play in the North Of Scotland Caledonian League, and generally do well at that level, but there was a gulf in class between the teams last night which bodes well for Academy as they attempt to build on last season’s successes.

Hero on the night was Academy striker David Allan, who won the man of the Match award after notching a hat-trick and proving a continual thorn in the hesitant Halkirk defence. Richard McAdie, last year’s Highland League Player of the Year, also looked sharp and will continue to be an asset.

The game was originally due to be played today at Halkirk but was rescheduled for last night in Wick because of a clash with the Halkirk Highland Games which take place this afternoon. Caber tossing takes precedence over mere football in this part of the world!

Academy start their league campaign next Saturday with a home tie against League newcomers Strathspey. I’ll be attending that one too so will report in next Sunday with the match result and highlights.

Wick Academy’s David Allan is congratulated by team-mates Stevie Cunningham (right) and Richard Macadie (left) after netting his side’s second goal against Halkirk United in the Nutel Communications North of Scotland Cup first-round tie at Harmsworth Park on Friday night. Allan went on to complete a hat-trick in Wick’s 4-0 win.

Halkirk United defender Colin Davidson (right) keeps close to Wick Academy striker Gary Weir during Friday night’s Nutel Communications North of Scotland Cup first-round tie at Harmsworth Park.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25871

Gary Weir could pass as an escaped convict with his skin head and black and white striped top.

Nice photo’s Cormack, are you the official photographer for Wick then?

4-0 in the first match, cant be bad.

Member since March 2008
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

A very pleasing start to teh season – well done teh lads.

Corm, are teh players semi-pro and will you be playing in teh SFA Cup and if so how many rounds before Round 1 (if you know what I mean :? )

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Nathan – photos are courtesy of one of my friends so I’m afraid I can’t claim any credit.

Pompete – yes, they’re semi-pro and yes they do play in the SFA Cup, had quite a good run last year before getting knocked out by Edinburgh City following a replay. Not sure how many rounds before the official Round 1 but I’ll look into it.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6212

Round 1 is in September and includes all the eligible non-league sides, that’s Highland League teams, East Of Scotland League teams, South Of Scotland League teams, four Scottish Junior FA sides(the champions of North,West and East plus the Junior Cup winners) plus Girvan(Junior but kept Senior membership!), Burntisland Shipyard and Glasgow University (both historically SFA members though not in Senior Leagues) and Golspie Sutherland of the Northern Caledonian League.

Round 2 sees the SFL Division 3 teams the Non-League qualifiers along with the top two form the Highland League the previous season and the winners of East Of Scotland and South Of Scotland Leagues. Teams from SFL Divisions 1(bottom 6) and 2 join in at Round 3 and the top 4 from the SFL Div 1 Scottish Premier League teams join for Round 4.

Normally all the Highland League teams are in the Scottish Cup but since the new teams, Strathspey Thistle, Turriff United and Formartine United aren’t full members then they will not play this season. Similarly some of the East Of Scotland League teams and the majority of the South Of Scotland League teams don’t play, unless they win their League, because they are not full members.

To become new ‘full members’ a team needs floodlights and cover for 500, Ironically the likes of Coldstream and Civil Service Strollers, playing on roped off pitches in fields, get in because of historic membership pre-dating the current standards. I could give a full run down on Scottish non-league football, but it’s quite complicated!

Incidentally on Saturday I saw Nithsdale Wanderers v Wigtown and Bladnoch in the South of Scotland League on Saturday. Sounds like something out of the Goon Show, I know, but was decent entertainment for a £1 raffle ticket and £1 for a programme.

Rob

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6212

I found the following information on the SFA website:

THE SCOTTISH CUP 2009/10

FIRST ROUND – SATURDAY 26 SEPTEMBER 2009
     35 clubs (17 ties and 1 bye)

 14 clubs (formerly participating in Qualifying Cup North) from the Highland League
    excluding the Winners and Runners Up:

1. Brora Rangers 2. Buckie Thistle 3. Clachnacuddin 4. Huntly 5. Keith
    6. Forres Mechanics 7. Fort William 8. Fraserburgh 9. Golspie Sutherland*
    10. Inverurie Loco Works 11. Lossiemouth 12. Nairn County 13. Rothes
    14. Wick Academy.

* North Caledonian League Winners & Member Club

 17 clubs (formerly participating in the Qualifying Cup South), excluding the winners of
    the East of Scotland and South of Scotland Leagues:

1. Burntisland Shipyard 2. Civil Service Strollers 3. Coldstream 4. Dalbeattie Star 5. Edinburgh City 6. Edinburgh University 7. Gala Fairydean 8. Glasgow University 9. Girvan 10. Hawick Royal Albert 11. Newton Stewart 12. Preston Athletic 13. St Cuthbert Wanderers 14. Selkirk 15. Vale of Leithen 16. Whitehill Welfare 17. Wigtown & Bladnoch.

 4 Scottish Junior FA clubs

1. Auchinleck Talbot (Winner of Scottish Junior Cup)
    2. Bonnyrigg Rose (Winner of East Super League)
    3. Irvine Meadow (Winner of West Super League)
    4. Banks O Dee (Winner of North Super League)

SECOND ROUND – SATURDAY 24 OCTOBER 2009
     32 clubs (16 ties)

 17 first round winners plus 1 club (bye into 2nd Round)

 Winners and Runners Up in the Highland League: 1. Cove Rangers
    2. Deveronvale

 Winners of East of Scotland League: Spartans
     Winners of South of Scotland League: Threave Rovers

 10 clubs currently in Scottish Football League Division 3:

1. Albion Rovers 2. Annan Athletic 3. Berwick Rangers 4. Cowdenbeath
    5. East Stirlingshire 6. Elgin City 7. Forfar Athletic 8. Montrose 9. Queen’s Park 10. Stranraer

…/
    THIRD ROUND – SATURDAY 28 NOVEMBER 2009
     32 clubs (16 ties)

 16 second round winners

 10 clubs currently in Scottish Football League Division 2:

1. Airdrie United 2. Alloa Athletic 3. Arbroath 4. Brechin City 5. Clyde
    6. Dumbarton 7. East Fife 8. Peterhead 9. Stenhousemuir 10. Stirling Albion

 6 clubs currently in Scottish Football League Division 1

1. Ayr United 2. Livingston 3. Greenock Morton 4. Queen of the South 5. Raith Rovers 6. Ross County

FOURTH ROUND: SATURDAY 9 JANUARY 2010
     32 clubs (16 ties)

 16 third round winners

 12 clubs in the Scottish Premier League last season:

1. Rangers 2. Celtic 3. Heart of Midlothian 4. Aberdeen 5. Dundee United
    6. Hibernian 7. Motherwell 8. Kilmarnock 9. Hamilton Academical 10. Falkirk 11. St Mirren 12. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

 4 clubs (based on Scottish Football League Division 1 2008/09 league placings 1 to 4):

1. St Johnstone 2. Partick Thistle 3. Dunfermline Athletic 4. Dundee

FIFTH ROUND – SATURDAY 6 FEBRUARY 2010

 16 fourth round winners

SIXTH ROUND – SATURDAY 13 MARCH 2010

 8 fifth round winners

SEMI-FINALS MATCHES – WEEKEND OF SATURDAY 10 & SUNDAY 11 APRIL 2010

If clubs progress in UEFA club competitions provisional semi final dates:

 Midweek – 13 & 14 April 2010

FINAL MATCH – SATURDAY 15 MAY 2010

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Thanks Rob.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Any pics of their WAGS, Corm?

Zip

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Any pics of their WAGS, Corm?

Zip

http://www.finalfurlongracing.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/boobs.gif

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

I’ll see what I can do Zippy!!

:wink:

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Being something of a highlander (well being from Aberdeen) I know a few folk who play in the Highland League. Its a reasonable standard of league, at the least comparable to division 3 in scotland. Wick academy are one of the leagues lesser lights but should be fun tracking progress through the season. You can bet on these matches in some aberdeen bookies (possibly online too) so might even be worth punting on some wick fixtures!

I would suggest no pictures of the wags get posted. Its not fair on the sheep to make them pose for photos! :lol:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.