The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why look for the faster ground, on a horse who needs soft ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Why look for the faster ground, on a horse who needs soft ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Michael Stoute is qouted as saying that Manduro & Dylan Thomas will always beat Notnowcato on fast ground as my horse prefers to get his toe in. So why did Ryan Moore look for the fastest strip ? wouldn’t you think, knowing that his horse prefers give that he would have stayed on the slower side, to try and out battle his speedier rivals?.
    I’m a bit baffled :?:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Please tell me you are joking, otheriwse I despair. :roll:

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Oh dear oh dear…

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

HeHe!!………It`s a wind up!!

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Your posts are nearly always entertaining Madman…….if nothing else.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Its not that nonsensical guys, obviously Notnowcatos connections were happy with the rain, so why would they be looking for the fastest strip ?
    The connections of the other horses made a major f-uck up.

naps
    • Total Posts 159

Let’s try to put this in a way you may comprehend MM. Let’s assume you’re a plodder as a runner and find that when you run in a race you end up much closer to the other runners when you run in the mud…aside from the fact that you prefer it since it doesn’t jar your knees up so much. Now run over the same distance on a synthetic surface free of rain etc. Do you think the time you run will be faster in the mud or the synthetic surface…..regardless of which you or your knees may prefer?

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

Cathy Gannon in an interview on RUK a few weeks ago said she had deliberately sought the softest ground on the track as her horse thrived on it.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

I’m presuming Madman Marz has a repuation of sorts, to provoke such a childish reaction, because the question itself seems fair enough to me.

I’ve often wondered the same , i.e., if a horse prefers soft ground / has a ‘soft ground action’, is it better off looking for the fastest (firmist) ground or keeping on the soft, which may be more suitable for its action?

Although with Notnowcato you’re talking about the difference between running on soft or good-soft ground (good-soft is definitely better than soft for him), not soft or firm (firm might be too firm), if that makes any sense.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

For crying out loud, a horse who prefers soft ground doesn’t actually run faster on it than on a firmer surface, it’s just that he’s relatively less inconvenienced by it than his firm ground-loving rivals.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

For crying out loud, a horse who prefers soft ground doesn’t actually run faster on it than on a firmer surface, it’s just that he’s relatively less inconvenienced by it than his firm ground-loving rivals.

Yes; but I would have thought that a horse would run with more enthusiasm on ground it likes, than ground it doesn’t like. Surely you’ve seen soft ground horses fail to give their running on ground which is too firm for them – or are those horses actually slow, and we don’t notice on soft ground because the rest of the field are slowed down to their level?

And why are you so exasperated? I’ve never had this conversation with you before, have I?, you ugly tramp.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Yes; but I would have thought that a horse would run with more enthusiasm on ground it likes, than ground it doesn’t like. Surely you’ve seen soft ground horses fail to give their running on ground which is too firm for them – or are those horses actually slow, and we don’t notice on soft ground because the rest of the field are slowed down to their level?

And why are you so exasperated? I’ve never had this conversation with you before, have I?, you ugly tramp.

NWRA, This forum is full of Victor Meldrews, like sheep, lets talk about the weather, lets talk about the goverment :cry:

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Please tell me you are joking, otheriwse I despair. :roll:

Despair ?? enlighten me Davy

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

DJ, you’re not the only one shedding a tear. Fancy a pint?

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

You got very little reaction nwra as most of them never thought the thread through. The thread had plenty of sense to it. Ridiculing without putting any thougth to what they were talking about.
    Should we talk about the weather?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.