The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why is AP rated higher than Ruby…makes no sense?

Home Forums Horse Racing Why is AP rated higher than Ruby…makes no sense?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 109

Something just occurred to me … why does Walsh never ride for anyone other than Nicholls?

Eh? Willie Mullins, Tony Martin, Ted Walsh, Tom Mullins, Noel Meade, Gordon Elliot, Paul Nolan, Liam Burke etc. Ruby rides for plenty of other yards.

Regarding Wally’s opening question, I don’t think AP is rated higher over here in Ireland but we see Ruby plying his trade on a regular basis whereas McCoy doesn’t ride over here as much as he used to a few years back.

Well obviously i meant in England seeing as they are all Irish trainers!

• Total Posts 2440

If AP had the choice of the horses that Walsh does at Ditcheat and also from Mullins and co. in Ireland, then i would hope he would have even more winners.

It’s not as though Ruby has a lack of talent to choose from is it? ? ?

Denman, Big Bucks, Twist Magic, etc… in recent weeks.

cjboy
    • Total Posts 127

Graham Lee is a consistently underrated and overlooked jockey. John Francombe frequently waxes lyrical about his rides, and I respect Francombe’s judgement, but other "pundits" ignore Graham.

• Total Posts 1415

I think its A British thing as much as anything else the Brits love a trier they love to see grit and determination and they always tend to value that more than flair.

Ruby is as good as they come. McCoy is good in his own right, very good at what he does which is give every horse a maximum ride and makes horses run for him. However, say you owned the Gold Cup favourite who would you want on board? Ruby for me, no question.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

In one set or circumstances I’d prefer McCoy on a horse, faced with a different set I’d prefer Walsh, but in truth, I’d rather have neither because they both tend to be overbet.

Indeedy, a punter has spoken :wink:

McCoy, Walsh, Geraghty, Lee, Murphy, Fehily, Moloney, Johnson, Coleman, Gillies…on it goes. All thoroughly capable jockeys able in different ways to get the best from their mounts

Really have no idea who’s ‘best’ as it’s what’s between their legs that interests me, though suffice it to say the overall standard of NH jockeyship over the last 15 years or so has improved a lot, and the catalyst for that improvement was McCoy, imho

‘Twixt steeples the game is in safe hands

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Really have no idea who’s ‘best’ as it’s what’s between their legs that interests me,

:shock: :mrgreen:

Yes I know I’m juvenile.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

:shock: Drone

I think we have the best colemanballs post EVER on the Racing forum there

The point about the right jockey for right horse is …..right

They are both "greats" in their own way. Personal preference is for Ruby, but its a question of style rather than effectiveness that drives that.

why is Mccoy "not rated" in Ireland, as has been suggested? I find that strange to say the least

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Being an ageing juvenile myself, it was an intended double-entendre Clivexxxxx

Emphasis with winky, smiling thingummies hardly required I thought :? :)

Pretty damn good though wasn’t it :?: :|

"Juantorena opens his legs and shows his class" a Pickeringballs

"McCoy looks between his legs…there’s nothing there" a Holtballs

snigger :lol:

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

English and Irish Jumps Winners 2008-09

Walsh 190
    McCoy 191

Walsh has a better strike rate but given his resources (Nicholls and Mullins in particular) you would expect that.

Walsh is the best chase jockey riding; one of the reasons Walsh and Nicholls have worked so well together. Nicholls didn’t have hurdles in his yard until a few years ago when he brought in easyfix hurdles. Whether Walsh is quite that good over hurdles i’m not so sure and would happily put a few others, including McCoy, on a par if not better.

Over a fence though Walsh is the best there is.

• Total Posts 2184

why is Mccoy "not rated" in Ireland, as has been suggested? I find that strange to say the least

Its not that McCoy isn’t rated back home. I don’t think anyone suggested that.

I just think personally that Ruby would be rated higher in Ireland than he would be in Britain.

Ardrossthegreat
    • Total Posts 303

If AP rode for Nicholls he’d have more winners than he has already!!!

Basically AP is the best!!

Nuff said!! :wink:

• Total Posts 262

Let’s bring this down to the most basic form.

The job of a jockey is to get the beast between his legs first past the post,or as near to that position as possible.

Forget about the grade of race.Who is best at this job?

AP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1NvcS2k0jM

• Total Posts 1415

Let’s bring this down to the most basic form.

The job of a jockey is to get the beast between his legs first past the post,or as near to that position as possible.

Forget about the grade of race.Who is best at this job?

AP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1NvcS2k0jM

Is he? Does A P have a better strike rate than Ruby then?

Ruby has the better strike rate, McCoy has far, far more rides than Ruby its innevitable he will ride more winners given the quality of jockey he is.

• Total Posts 262

Ruby is on better horses,he’s bound to have a good strike rate.

AP can win on horses that Walsh couldn’t.

He is the best we’ve ever seen,or likely to see.

And that is my last word on the subject.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Good article in today’s Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/de … ruby-walsh

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Ruby is all class. AP is a legend though and Ruby has to get there yet. The both of them could not hold a candle to Ted in his heyday though. Anybody looking at Ted in the late 70s and 80s would know this. Taught Ruby everything he knows and more. Ted Walsh is in the top 3 NH pilots of all time. Himself, AP and Francome in that order. Be under no illusions.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

tony mcoy and martin pipe are both grafters (workaholics)
    but as to wether i would say class DUNO

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.