The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Z instead of S

Home Forums Lounge Z instead of S

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I’m off on one aren’t I <!– s:D –>:D<!– s:D –>

But why do we English use the letter Z instead of a letter S when we write – it’s the one thing that annoys me so much <!– s:evil: –>:evil:<!– s:evil: –>

Z is American, S is English.

Words like ‘recognise’ so often get spelt as ‘recognize’ in this country.

I’m not having a go, it’s just one of my pet hates. I make spelling mistakes all the time and I use the wrong punctuation all the time – but I’ve never used a Z in my life unless it’s in an English word that contains a Z <!– s:lol: –>:lol:<!– s:lol: –>

Sorry for the rant.

Mike

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

I guess that one explanation would be that when a spell check is completed, the computer will often offer the American spelling. Maybe people just press amend and carry on?

Keith

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

:lol:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

The Americanisation of this country must be stopped and we should lean towards Moscow and Beijing where the future is at

"where the future is at" is very American. It should be "where the future is".

Steve

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

:D

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Surely the correct spelling is Americanization!

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I’m afraid that you couldn’t be more wrong on this one Mikky. English language words such as organize, specialize, theorize etc. are correctly and historically spelt with a z. Using an s instead is a relatively recent phenomena. The Americans, in this case, are innocent.

As any lover of Colin Dexter’s Inspector Morse would know

"Morse is a well-educated, inwardly tortured, complex, but basically decent bloke, and I have to admit to having been mildly addicted to his acerbically bumbling attempts to police a fictional city that has Oxford’s architecture and Chicago’s murder rate. He’s presented as a man who is concerned and knowledgeable about the English language, and who is frequently pained by its misuse by those around him. He even puts his hobby horse to practical use in one television episode, when he deduces the semi- literacy of the writer of a suicide-note by the spelling of the suffix "-ize" as "-ise". (The Limits of Creation)

Not that I am accusing you of semi-literacy, Mikky, you understand.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I was certainly taught to use “z” when I was at school – then again I am old.

When I was at infant school every spelling mistake was rewarded with a rap across the knuckles with a wooden runer.

From a more “official” perspective the OED say in most cases “ise” or “ize” are both acceptable.

[i:2f23d0yp]-ise and -ize. Most words ending in -ise can also be spelled with a final -ize: for example antagonise, capitalise, centralise. For some words, however, you can only use the ending -ise. Some of the most common of these are advertise, advise, enterprise, exercise, improvise, revise, supervise, surprise, and televise.[/color:2f23d0yp][/i:2f23d0yp]

and a bit more, where they compare English and American

Verbs in British English that can be spelled with either -ize or -ise at the end (e.g. recognize/recognise) are always spelled with -ize in American English.

Verbs in British English that end in -yse (e.g. analyse) are always spelled -yze in American English (analyze).[/color:2f23d0yp]

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3494

Rinsing the glass
    and replacing the water
    also helps

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

When I was at infant school every spelling mistake was rewarded with a rap across the knuckles with a wooden runer.

OSTERMEYER – GET UP TO THE FRONT OF THE ROOM NOW!

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

OSTERMEYER – GET UP TO THE FRONT OF THE ROOM NOW!

the old bat must be dead now – so I should be safe!!!!

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1890

Rather than our Americanization, l believe the use of ‘s’ is a Europeanisaton.

I was requested to use the ‘s’ in texts for a Belgian-based, English woman, acting at the time as a translation agent. She was quite diffident about it, as if to acknowledge it wasn’t the standard or preferred English usage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.