The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Who will tame the beast?

Home Forums Horse Racing Who will tame the beast?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1794

For me, Big Buck’s is absolutely nailed on for a 4th straight World Hurdle next month. I’ve heard a few people mentioning Oscar Whisky as the one who may de-throne him at last, but not for me. Not only is he, in my opinion, not in the same class as Big Buck’s, but over half a mile shorter, he only just managed to out-stay Get Me Out Of Here in December. If this is Big Buck’s ‘closest rival’, Nicholls and co have nothing to fear.

My question is this – He will be beaten someday, maybe even sooner rather than later. But when? Not this season I’d imagine, because I can’t see who out of this current crop will oppose him. Maybe next March will be the day, which simply poses the question, can anyone name the horse out there right now who can beat this animal? Because I sure as hell can’t!

@TopWeightTom

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2066

I think Big Buck’s is more likely to be beaten in one of his prep races before he fails to win a Long Walk or World Hurdle.

Paul Nicholls has stressed that the horse is not easy to get sharp and absolutely bone idle at home. This was evident in the Cleeve Hurdle recently with one of his least impressive performances. That race was evidently not the priority before the World Hurdle.

If this laziness gets more serious, Paul Nicholls gets even more daring with undercooking BB and the ability begins to fade with age – he will get turned over at Newbury or in the Cleeve Hurdle in the next two years. Just my opinion.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1794

I’m surprised you weren’t impressed with him in the Cleeve. Personally I think Dynaste is a lovely horse who will go on to great things, much in the same sense Grands Crus has, although maybe not to the same level. Yes Dynaste did have him working, but if you look back at the race, Ruby didn’t touch the whip once, and while onlookers may have had their hearts in their mouths for a few mili-seconds, Ruby always looked cool and all it took was a few shakes of the reigns. He went away from him like he wasn’t there in the end, and that for me will be the horse who finishes behind him at the festival. Great performance from a great horse.

@TopWeightTom

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

If anything is going to beat him, I’m pretty sure it’ll be So Young.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1794

If anything is going to beat him, I’m pretty sure it’ll be So Young.

Yes, I remember how excited Willie Mullins was about So Young entering last years’ festival, saying he had him down as more of a good thing than Hurricane Fly. Praise indeed. Let’s just see how far So Young develops.

@TopWeightTom

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

I think people have been lulled into a false sense of security with Big Buck’s. It’s the 1111111111111 factor again, happens all the time. Between Hurricane Fly, Sizing Europe and Big Buck’s, I’m far more worried about the latter than the others. He has 5 brand new horses to run against that he’s never faced before. He’s 9-years-old, an age that SEVERAL World Hurdlers have been defeated by. Until Inglis Drever beat Kasbah Bliss by a length the other year, it was a huge negative to be a 9yo running in a World Hurdle.

He’s been running against the same opposition on his last 3 outings & which properly good horses has he actually taken on and beaten? Punchestowns? Anyone else? (If someone says Grands Crus I’m going to scream)

Sizing Europe racing against a horse he’s beaten by 5 and 15 lengths in 2 of their last 3 meetings, only being defeated when he had a new jockey aboard. He’s never fallen and taking on a second-season novice who’s beaten Oiseau de Nuit, Wishfull Thinking & Ghizao in his last 2 victories, yet he’s 5/4 while Big Buck’s is 4/7?

Hurricane Fly racing against a couple of 5yos, a horse he destroyed at Punchestown in May, a horse who was beaten by that horse, a front-runner who was beaten by one of the 5yos and a couple of no-hopers but he’s 10/11 while Big Buck’s is 4/7?

I think people have seriously cottoned onto the wrong banker of ‘The Big 4’.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

15/15 isn’t just any sequence – it is the second longest in history and only a complete fool would choose to ignore it. Although he has seemingly been on the stretch twice this season it could easily be that Dynaste is the second best around so on that basis I wouldn’t be worrying too much.

As regards Grands Crus stockpiles of humble pie are no doubt in readiness should he be successful next month. Whatever happens he was a very good hurdler, his Cleeve Hurdle win was visually as impressive as it gets and to my eyes last year’s World Hurdle was the closest any horse has got to realistically challenging Big Bucks.

okjoe57
    Participant
    • Total Posts 189

IF BB is so wonderful .. why doesn’t he try the Ascot Gold Cup?

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

Because there are no hurdles. :roll:

You could equally say if Frankel was so good, why doesn’t he go for the Cheltenham Gold Cup. :lol:

Value Is Everything
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Personally I think Dynaste is a lovely horse who will go on to great things

I don’t know about ‘great things’ but he’s one of the slickest, fastest jumpers of an obstacle I’ve ever seen.

Mike

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1794

Personally I think Dynaste is a lovely horse who will go on to great things

I don’t know about ‘great things’ but he’s one of the slickest, fastest jumpers of an obstacle I’ve ever seen.

Mike

Granted great was a strong word. He’s a horse with a bright future I meant.

@TopWeightTom

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Because there are no hurdles. :roll:

You could equally say if Frankel was so good, why doesn’t he go for the Cheltenham Gold Cup. :lol:

Though Frankel is an entire, so there are other more pertinent considerations there, regardless that they have immense trouble settling him over a mile let alone any further.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

As I’ve got 20/1 Dynaste ew (and 14/1 ew without BB) hope Dynaste does it if anyone. As you said he’s a fluent, fast jumper and has a turn of foot. If they went a crawl at Cheltenham it’s not inconcievable he’d have more speed in a sprint for home than BB. Trouble is, would suit Oscar Whiskey too. Latter unlikely stayer if truly run.

In a fast, truly, or just fair pace – can’t see BB being beaten. In a very slowly run race Dynaste and Oscar have a squeak. Although not saying they’d have a better chance than BB.

Value Is Everything
    thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5551

The horse who has the talent to not only beat Big Bucks, but beat him easily imo, is Hurricane Fly. Alas we’ll probably never see them race against each other.

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

I haven’t seen all his races but in the ones I have watched I can’t help thinking I haven’t seen him really under pressure yet. He seems to do it all so casually 8)

trapper john
    • Total Posts 196

i dont think big bucks will be beat but if one horse has the class to beat her i think quevega might be the one if she runs in the race

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1375

I think people have been lulled into a false sense of security with Big Buck’s. It’s the 1111111111111 factor again, happens all the time. Between Hurricane Fly, Sizing Europe and Big Buck’s, I’m far more worried about the latter than the others. He has 5 brand new horses to run against that he’s never faced before. He’s 9-years-old, an age that SEVERAL World Hurdlers have been defeated by. Until Inglis Drever beat Kasbah Bliss by a length the other year, it was a huge negative to be a 9yo running in a World Hurdle.

He’s been running against the same opposition on his last 3 outings & which properly good horses has he actually taken on and beaten? Punchestowns? Anyone else? (If someone says Grands Crus I’m going to scream)

Have to agree with this. None of the horses BB has beaten have gone on to achieve anything significant

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.