The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘Whippin it up’

Home Forums Horse Racing ‘Whippin it up’

Viewing 12 posts - 271 through 282 (of 282 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7841

A jockeys safety is totally dependant on the horse he/she is riding. Racing, jockeys, punters, bookies [even the news media]; it’s a totally symbiotic relationship and a much more complicated one than the RSPCA and the BHA seem to realise.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

A jockeys safety is totally dependant on the horse he/she is riding. Racing, jockeys, punters, bookies [even the news media]; it’s a totally symbiotic relationship and a much more complicated one than the RSPCA and the BHA seem to realise.

Moe,i wouldn’t agree a jockeys safety is ‘Totally’ dependant on the horse,i would suggest that a jockeys experience,skill and critical judgement have a significant impact on their own safety as well as that of the horses,these Professional sports people are not horse abusers and never have been,some are harder than others on them,Human nature again.Many a time a Jockey has stated after falling it was their fault,a split second decision on how a horse approaches a fence proves costly as does failing to pull one up when its tailed off.Some Jockeys have paid the ultimate price for poor decision making and they know the boundaries to safety more than anyone at the bloody BHA will ever know.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26562

What you lot supporting these clowns at the BHA are failing to realise more than anything is the fact HUMANS come First,its got to the stage whereby you all realise just how wrong you are but your stubborness wont allow you to acknowledge it.Its called HUMAN NATURE,dont confuse the two! :shock:

:roll:

Fisher trying to wind people up again. :lol:

Where has anyone on here said humans (jockeys) don’t come first? :?

And what has it got to do with the whip debate?

value is everything
    KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Ginge,way too much emphasis has been put on the horses welfare,people are beginning to lose sight of the fact that human welfare comes way above a horses.When i contribute to Charities the likes of The injured Jockeys fund is of higher priority than any of the RSPCA’s even though i was a young Ornithologist!

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26562

There are so many worthy causes involving humans. If human charities always had priority in everyones giving – Then following your thoughts through to their ultimate conclusion, there’d be no money left for the RSPB.

Of course humans matter more than horses (or birds), nobody is saying they don’t. The new whip rules are not a choice between human or horses safety, therefore, it is a false arguement as well as more than a little hypocritical on your part (imo).

value is everything
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7841

Did anyone watch the intervew with Sharon Murgatroyd on Ch4 yesterday? When she had her terrible fall, she had thought to not jump the last hurdle [her horse was tailed off] but felt that a 0 was better on it’s record than a PU. Wonder if that is still the case?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

There are so many worthy causes involving humans. If human charities always had priority in everyones giving – Then following your thoughts through to their ultimate conclusion, there’d be no money left for the RSPB.

O/T (out of interest) the

RSPB

has a higher income than the

RSPCA

, and they rank 37th and 41st in the list of Top Charities (though that of course includes organisations such as the British Council, Church of Scotland and British Library).

Intriguingly, the

RSPB

is spending well within its income, but the

RSPCA

was in the red last year, overspending to the tune of about £7M, though it still has reasonable reserves. But it is falling on hard times compared to other animal charities, partly due to the perceived problems in management, PR and priorities we’ve touched on elsewhere.

ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Pinza , agree , Muir can look after his own business

The bIRD CHARITY gets a 3quid a month from me :D , and has done for years

I am not likely to consider the other lot , whilst Muir is about

:P

AdmiralofthefleetAdmiralofthefleet
    • Total Posts 451

Sharon Murgatroyd was truly inspirational. What an amazing lady, and such a sad story. Puts life’s little trials completely into perspective.

Having said that I was slightly horrified when they showed the fall on TV.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7841

Second part of the interview tomorrow. Felt truly humbled listening to her talk. Just read that Isabel is now walking unaided but that she is still somewhat confused and her eyesight is a cause for concern. Having said that she is making remarkable progress considering the extent of her injuries.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Some Jockeys have paid the ultimate price for poor decision making and they know the boundaries to safety more than anyone at the bloody BHA will ever know.

Very rare you see Alastair Down struggle for words but the impact of Sharon Murgatroyds interview obviously affected the great journalist he was very emotional on C4,as was myself.They dont come more REAL than Sharon.Puts this pathetic issue of ‘Whip’ debate to shame really!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7841

I usually go and make a cup of tea when these interviews are on but this time over both days I sat rooted to the spot hardly daring to breathe [and yes, I did cry each time]. Was lovely to hear that McCoy visits her as well. On the subject of Alastair Down, he is one of the Ch4 pundits that have come to our NH previews in recent years, the other being Simon Holt, Nick Luck and Mike Catt and it’s been fascinating to hear them talk about their love of racing, most of them coming to racing from very different backgrounds.

Viewing 12 posts - 271 through 282 (of 282 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.