The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Which is your luckiest winner?

Home Forums Horse Racing Which is your luckiest winner?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I’ve had a few lucky winners over the years but the most recent one was last summer when I didn’t fancy the 7/4 favorite to win in a race at Sandown ( can’t remember the name of the horse) so I decided to lay the horse not to win. I went on Betfair and I must have been in a much dozier mood than usual and I must have clicked on ‘back’ instead of ‘lay’ without even realising that I’d done it.

I then logged off BF and cursed as I watched the race on tv and saw the favorite win easily :angry:  It wasn’t until I checked my account that I realised what I’d done and won over a £100:) :)  instead of losing £60.<br>Needless to say I’m very careful now when I go on Betfair;)

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

I’ve never had a lucky winner:(  but have had plenty of unlucky losers:( :(

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

It was a recnt jumps race, can’t quite remember which, but I’d backed an 6/1 shot to win. Was 20l 3rd on the home straight and well beat. However the frontrunner was looking weary and fell over the final fence. The horse then got up but was hidden by the fence. Along comes the horse in 2nd to the final fence and it pings it. However it collides with the horse and unseats. About 10 minutes later along comes mine; puts in a lazy jump but gets over and came home in front. Brilliant! They seem to take a while to pay me out though!:biggrin:

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I had one similar to that recently FSl where the firs placed horse fell then the second decided the race was finished and pulled himself up leaving mine to amble past the line in first!! Brilliant!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from FlatSeasonLover on 4:24 pm on Sep. 18, 2006[br]It was a recnt jumps race, can’t quite remember which, but I’d backed an 6/1 shot to win. Was 20l 3rd on the home straight and well beat. However the frontrunner was looking weary and fell over the final fence. The horse then got up but was hidden by the fence. Along comes the horse in 2nd to the final fence and it pings it. However it collides with the horse and unseats. About 10 minutes later along comes mine; puts in a lazy jump but gets over and came home in front. Brilliant! They seem to take a while to pay me out though!:biggrin: <br>

<br>Barton Park won for me at Southwell in near-identical circumstances a couple of months ago. He was looking clear third best despite being clear market leader before leader Dalriath took the penultimate fence by the roots (yeah, I know, Southwell’s portable fences don’t have roots….), fell, and brought down Upswing who was on a going day in a fast-finishing second.

Think it was the incident in which Lee Vickers got smashed up, so it rated as much a hollow, unsatisfactory for me as much as it did a fortunate one.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from FlatSeasonLover on 4:24 pm on Sep. 18, 2006[br]It was a recnt jumps race, can’t quite remember which, but I’d backed an 6/1 shot to win. Was 20l 3rd on the home straight and well beat. However the frontrunner was looking weary and fell over the final fence. The horse then got up but was hidden by the fence. Along comes the horse in 2nd to the final fence and it pings it. However it collides with the horse and unseats. About 10 minutes later along comes mine; puts in a lazy jump but gets over and came home in front. Brilliant! They seem to take a while to pay me out though!:biggrin: <br>

<br>Barton Park won for me at Southwell in near-identical circumstances a couple of months ago. He was looking clear third best despite being clear market leader before leader Dalriath took the penultimate fence by the roots (yeah, I know, Southwell’s portable fences don’t have roots….), fell, and brought down Upswing who was on a going day in a fast-finishing second.

Think it was the incident in which Lee Vickers got smashed up, so it rated as much a hollow, unsatisfactory for me as much as it did a fortunate one.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Seeing as most of mine this flat season have been by a short head or a head, take your pick.

Twinkle Twinkle
    • Total Posts 54

I backed Black Falcon at Wolvehampton one evening a few years ago at big prices on betfair, only to see him beaten a head by Nashaab, turned the tv over cursing my luck, then a few hours later turned on the teletext to see that there had been a Stewards Enquiry and BF had been awarded the race! What a lovely surprise. Now why cant that happen more often…..

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

My luckiest winner was probably my first winner in hindsight, but i had one earlier in the year on CLASSIC PUNCH and MONTPELIER, i went to put £10 e/w on at 25s and 16s on the william hill site, but when i tried to place the bet the odds changed to 33s on classic punch and (with the figure of £20 for each bet in my head) i accidentally went £20 e/w each horse.<br>I was livid with myself for a few minutes but i was made up when Classic Punch won and montpelier was 3rd though. Sometimes stupidity really pays…lol

GreenGreenDesert
    • Total Posts 127

Well I don’t know if this qualifies but it typifies my luck sometimes.<br>I placed a bet at Aintree …a forecast…and two of my four selections finished first and second so I went to pick up. That is when I noticed they had given me a forecast at a flat track. I never bet on the flat…so I went nuts. Finally the Tote staff could bear me out that I very rarely bet on the flat and it was a clear mistake. Yes..I should have checked it…I checked the numbers but not the course stupidly.

Anyway they relented and gave me my £68 winnings. Here is where my luck would have come in. The numbers in the other race came in and it paid £700 !!!<br>I didn’t mind though. I felt I had earned the other but the £700 would have been luck…therefore not fulfilling.;)

Most people say I was lucky backing Norton’s Coin. They couldn’t see I had picked it for any logic. It qualified as the ONLY selection in the race on my system.<br>Course, distance, going winner. The only one.

He proved it to be no fluke when he slammed Waterloo Boy there in the Faucets race in April.

I don’t think I have ever had a stewards decision or photo or anything go in my favour, and never had a lucky fall of a rival I don’t think…not late on anyway.

<br>

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

I got a massive placepot up at Market Rasen a couple of years ago purely because the great Ei Ei broke his neck at the final hurdle.

One of my biggest wins but the terrible way in which it occurred rendered it totally meaningless.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Was trading on last years Kentucky Derby when I noticed Giacomo was fluctuating between 100 & 120.Asthe race went off I got stuck with €50 at 120.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Quote: from Grasshopper on 8:44 pm on Sep. 18, 2006[br]Kings Fountain got me an Aintree treble up years ago (along with Carobee and Remittance Man, if I remember correctly).

Kings Fountain was in the process of finishing a leg-weary second to some other yoke, when the one in front made a severe mistake, and practically fell over and through the running rail.

Arctic Call and the hapless Mark Richards, I believe Grassy. I remember the incident well.

wizard o odds
    • Total Posts 28

moonax for the leger dont know to this day why i took the plunge but intuitions a wonderful thing may not be my luckiest winner but i thought so at the time:biggrin: <br>Suppose my luckiest winner would have to be sadeem in gold cup mi dad backed royal gait and to this day i cant understand why it was thrown out:o

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.