The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Where now for Denman?

Home Forums Horse Racing Where now for Denman?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

I really cannot see the current ante post fav for the Grand National being seen within 200 miles from Aintree on Grand National day.

The Gold Cup at Cheltenham must still be the main plan one would have thought and the trainer is reticent regarding The National and yesterday he was still writing about Denmans chances in The Gold Cup.

Paul Nicholls seemed to think yesterday that yesterday that Denman was no ‘shoe in’ racing at Kempton and the main objective was to give the horse a race to be able to judge if the recent heart problems have left any mental or physical scars and the jury must be out on that one at present.

Joint owner Harry Findlay however thought the horse would win and he said on ATR the race yesterday was a race in name only he thought it would be just like a serious piece of work!

I still do not think that The Grand National is he main plan for Denman.

Mouse Morris however thinks his Hear The Echo will go to Aintree and that the one I fancy.

endevour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 99

could be wrong but i detected a slightly disappointed tone in p nicolls post race comment to ruk yesterday he kept saying he would have to improve,then said he could not get him much fitter,lets just hope the horse is alright.

endevour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 99

could be wrong but i detected a slightly disappointed tone in p nicolls post race comment to ruk yesterday he kept saying he would have to improve,then said he could not get him much fitter,lets just hope the horse is alright.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

I am not trying to be smart with hindsight, but Statistics show us that Gold Cup winners have a dreadful post race history. Some never win a race again. :?

regards,

doyley

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

How about trying a pair of blinkers?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

From his performance yesterday I would seriously think twice about racing him again this season – certainly in competitive races like the Gold Cup or Grand National.

I would presume the vets are giving him a good going over today.

In the unlikely event that he should run in the Gold Cup and then go on to win it then I would expect connections to be hauled off to Shaftsbury Avenue without their feet touching the ground.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Whatever about Denman, Henrietta Knights achievements look more remarkable by the day.

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

I thought Denman ran very flat yesterday,just worry that maybe with his ticker probs he is now gone.

Be interesting to see if he gets the all clear today.But i fear his days at the top end are over.

As for the gold cup i think the race is wide open….last week i thought it was a 2 horse race now im looking at 3 or 4 horses after the front two.

Wouldnt like to be sitting with a small priced bet on Denman at the moment though!!!!!

• Total Posts 433

I would’nt write off denman yet, he was’nt race fit , he was beaten 23 L by a horse who is still improving and denman was 28L clear in second, I still think he could win the gold cup.

• Total Posts 1415

According to the Racing Post Denman will go straight to Cheltenham and the Grand National is still under consideration.

• Total Posts 1063

Day after the National:
    Headlines:-
    Denman’s Heart of Gold
    Hearts Off To Denman
    Denman’s All Heart

Personally, an unhappy horse going nowhere. The well has run dry on this one, I’m afraid.

Pendle_Gazza
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Surprised some of you decide to write him off after one run.

It was after all his first run in 11 months, on an unfavourable track, and he galloped all bar one horse – which was on fire – into the ground.

If Madison hadn’t taken part, people would be saying what a fantastic performance it was.

He’s still a big Gold Cup player for me, despite me hoping Kauto wins it back.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The fact of the matter is Denman doesn"t dissapoint, he has never ran
    like that looked like that or jumped like that and thats that! Denman has gone I"m afraid! If that is the case i shall still keep his portrait over my desk
    and remember the RSA, Hennessey and Gold Cup! He is right up there with the best and so are his owners! They will be gutted after yesterdays
    dismal show!

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

As people have said, take away the winner and Denman would have hacked in and he’d probably be odds on for the Gold Cup!

But Madison was there and fair enough if the big horse had got tired at the end and finished 2nd but the warning signs were there right from the off and that’s worrying.

Hopefully a lot of it was down to going right-handed (he certainly didn’t look like a superstar when he beat Penzance at Exeter) but the look on Paul Nicholls’ face said a lot.

However I don’t agree with the people that are saying everything is flat now on the Gold Cup front. I’ll certainly be buzzing with anticipation at 3pm on Mar 13 thinking ‘can Kauto regain the crown/is Denman the same horse/what about M de B, Neptune Collonges’ etc etc…

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I dont think Denman can improve fitness wise from yesterday to March 13th. With his heart condition, I doubt Nicholls would have ran him unless he was very fit. However, re-unite him with Sam Thomas, Get him in front, run left handed and it may be different. But, no matter what your opinion, we will only ever know the truth on Friday 13th March!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I dont think Denman can improve fitness wise from yesterday to March 13th. With his heart condition, I doubt Nicholls would have ran him unless he was very fit. However, re-unite him with Sam Thomas, Get him in front, run left handed and it may be different. But, no matter what your opinion, we will only ever know the truth on Friday 13th March!

douginho,
    Lets hope P,Nichols doesn"t get a touch of the
    "Paraskavedekatriaphobias" then!

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

This has echoes of Kauto Star after his fall when he may or may have not won against lowly opposition.

Denman won the Henessy first time out but was trained to the minute.

He’s run moderately after a very long lay off which is not unusual and after all it is the Gold Cup that is his main target.

After this run why would he not be ready in time it’s almost 5 weeks away?

I sincerely doubt if his minor heart problem would be responsible for the run. Much more likely he needed it badly as they wouldn’t be exactly rushing him along.

I think they know exactly what they are doing and Mr. Nicholls will announce about 2 weeks before the Gold Cup Denman has done fantastically well and he will run.

Sort of par for the course with him these days.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.