The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Where did the Cathcart go?

Home Forums Horse Racing Where did the Cathcart go?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I’m assuming it has been run under another name earlier in the week? I always found it to be a fine supporting race on Gold Cup day, now we just have a card of impossible looking hurdles and the Grand Annual stuck on the end. Not half as appealing as a betting day IMO, the only serious betting race is the GC. At least you could get away early when the County Hurdle was held at 5.00, now it is part of the card proper.
    I dont like the new Gold Cup day race lineup, it was great as it was ie.

Triumph
    Cathcart
    Gold Cup
    Foxhunters
    County
    Bumper

Now it just looks like a way for the bookies to retrieve their losses from the rest of the week, and fill their satchels to brimming

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

Officially, the Cathcart was discontinued but effectively, it was opened to all horses (not just 1st/2nd season chasers) upgraded to group one status and renamed the Ryanair.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5503

It may have been different way back whenever but I’ll always remember the Thursday for its four consecutive steeplechases: Gold Cup, Foxhunters, Grand Annual and Cathcart.

A blessed memory, and for me a paradise almost too nirvanical. Gloriously draining or what?

The County Hurdle closed the National Hunt Meeting and the Bumper was run on Wednesday

RichK
    Participant
    • Total Posts 201

Yeah, it effectively became the Ryanair (actually the Festival Trophy). It took a season or two for it to make it’s way up from Grade 2 to Grade 1.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.