The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

When was the last time The Derby winner ran in the Gold Cup the following year?

Home Forums Horse Racing When was the last time The Derby winner ran in the Gold Cup the following year?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1316

Serpentine’s entry evokes memories of the days when the Classics at three were but mere stepping stones to what was then the biggest race of all.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1441

If it is a quiz question, I posted this on the Gold Cup thread yesterday:

“If Serpentine runs he will be the first Derby winner to take part in the Gold Cup since Blakeney in 1970.

And if he wins, he would be the first horse to win the Derby at Epsom and the Gold Cup at Ascot since Persimmon (owned by the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII) in 1897!

I remember seeing Persimmon’s stuffed head in the National Horse Racing Museum in Newmarket. Racing was very different in his day. After he won the Gold Cup, his next (and final) start was in the Eclipse!”

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3048

The memories and frequency can’t be that strong Ian if you can’t even remember the last time it happened ;-)
    Blakeney in 1970 & Persimmon 1897 :yes:

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1316

Cork All Star,

It was indeed!

I think Ocean Swell won The Derby in wartime at Newmarket and the Gold Cup the following year.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1441

Ocean Swell did win both races and is the last horse to do so – but as you say his Derby was a war time substitute at Newmarket.

Another point of trivia about the Gold Cup. The 1904 renewal forms a small part of the story of “Ulysses” by James Joyce, in which all the action takes place on 16th-17th June 1904.

Some of the minor characters become convinced that the protagonist Leopold Bloom has backed the winner – Throwaway at 20/1 – and are annoyed when he does stand them a round of drinks. In fact, he had not backed the horse at all and had no interest in racing. The misunderstanding arose because one character asked to borrow his paper to look at the racing page and misheard him when Bloom told him to keep it because he was about to throw it away.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1316

The first Gold Cup I remember watching was Sagaro’s third in 1977 – Peter O’Sullevan in his prime giving a great commentary IMO.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.