The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

When is 1m+ not 1m+?

Home Forums Horse Racing When is 1m+ not 1m+?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

At Hamilton this Sunday it seems.

Rails

All races over 1 Mile or further shall be approx. 70yds shorter
    than the official distances due to the realignment of rail to
    provide fresh ground.

70 yards. Surely such a distance should be published in the formbook.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

How far must they have moved the rail to have such an effect? If you moved a theoretical rail around the entire world by thirty feet, it would only add 63 yards to the entire distance!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

Assuming the minimum radius of the loop bend is a furlong a rough calculation, assuming you lose distance for 5/8ths of a circle and the radius is about a furlong, means the rail would have to be moved in something in the region of 20 yards to reduce the distances by 70 yards. I sometimes wander past that end of the course when going for a lunchtime walk. From experience of looking at the course from the outside of the loop I’d say it’s no more than 25 yards wide, and the overhead photo pretty much confirms that. Given that they have added up to 40 yards to distances this season on occasion then someone’s calculations are off beam, or they are taking a short cut across the rugby pitch!

I’ve no problem if mathematician’s prove my rough figures wrong as my use of

pi

is rusty!

Rob

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 899

Perhaps "70" is "about" 7 yards?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

They’ve been quoting differences of 30 to 40 yards on a regualr basis thsi season.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Assuming the minimum radius of the loop bend is a furlong a rough calculation, assuming you lose distance for 5/8ths of a circle and the radius is about a furlong, means the rail would have to be moved in something in the region of 20 yards to reduce the distances by 70 yards. I sometimes wander past that end of the course when going for a lunchtime walk. From experience of looking at the course from the outside of the loop I’d say it’s no more than 25 yards wide, and the overhead photo pretty much confirms that. Given that they have added up to 40 yards to distances this season on occasion then someone’s calculations are off beam, or they are taking a short cut across the rugby pitch!

I’ve no problem if mathematician’s prove my rough figures wrong as my use of

pi

is rusty!

Rob

Taking the widest part of the loop, from the Im marker to the 5f start, I’d estimate the rail would have to be moved in 22yds to shorten the race by 70yds.
    They’ve obviously guessed the distance, wildly wrong, and it speaks volumes for the esteem punters are held in by Clerks of the Course generally. :roll:

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 899

Perhaps there is some confusion with calling the mile a real mile and not I mile 65 yards. So there is only a real shortening of 5 yards from the starting post but 70 yards to an exact 8 furlongs mile. Perhaps a local could ask?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.