The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Whatever Happened to the Superstar Jockey ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Whatever Happened to the Superstar Jockey ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

In times gone by there have always been jockeys who dominated the sport, rarely, if ever, failed to pick up rides in the major races, and had other jockeys nervously looking over their shoulder about retaining their own mounts.
    Whether it was Piggott, Eddery, Cauthen, Carson, Richards etc., it was always the case.
    How strange then to find the current jockeys headed by Hanagan, the current champion, challenged by the up and coming de Sousa, and a declining Fallon.
    Now all of these have their merits and strengths, but would hardly strike fear into the opposition, and certainly don’t automatically pick up rides in the major races. Off the top of my head I can only think of a few Group 1 winners they have ridden between them this season or last.
    I realise that Moore is currently sidelined, but whatever happened to the superstar jockey, and will another ever appear ?

ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Coggy . we already have one …..His name is Lanfranco ….

and another on the way , his name is Barzelona

Wake up ….will ya

Ricky

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

I can see why you could rate him as a superstar ricky by todays media – friendly standards.
    But look at the other previous greats, and then the comparison with more mortal jockeys getting jocked off etc.
    Sorry but Frankie isnt in the same ball park.
    Would a stable jockey be nervously looking over his shoulder about Frankie getting him jocked off – very unlikely !!

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Wake up – laughable
    Grow up

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Fallon makes a comeback and has already ridden a hundred winners at age 46 or more.Who is he taking the rides away from? Cathie Gannon?I don’t think so.What are the Hughes’s the Aherns the Spencers, the Buicks doing?Afraid to ride lest they get a suspension. Fallon seems to not worry about such things, he just rides according to the rules.The others seem to think they cannot do that.If they would forget about cutting over to the rail and ride straight they would all have more rides and more winners.Fallon is showing them all up.As for Frankie he does not seem to get the rides anymore.I think he is the best but don’t understand why he is not sought after more.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

In times gone by there have always been jockeys who dominated the sport, rarely, if ever, failed to pick up rides in the major races, and had other jockeys nervously looking over their shoulder about retaining their own mounts.
    Whether it was Piggott, Eddery, Cauthen, Carson, Richards etc., it was always the case.

Would rather you hadn’t sullied that otherwise estimable quartet by adding Eddery to their ranks, particularly as you neglected to mention Mercer, but anyway…

…the overall standard of jockeyship has been on a steady upward curve since the above were in their pomp which is the likely reason why no small, select group of jockeys today are markedly more able than the majority, and warrant – as you put it – ‘superstar’ billing.

This in my opinion is particularly true of NH jockeys, some of whom 25+ years ago were frankly appalling, but applicable to the Flat too

I don’t believe any jockey since has proven themselves better than Piggott and Cauthen, both of whom were uniquely and supremely talented, but the gulf between them and the rest would be substantially narrower were they riding today

I, for one, continue to be impressed just how capable, fit and obviously well-taught young apprentices are nowadays when they take the plunge into Rules Racing

NenniNenni
    Participant
    • Total Posts 445

The superstar jockey is alive and well and producing rides like the one on Colditz at Cartmel today.

weeyin58
    • Total Posts 2

It will always be Frank Dettori for me………a super star jockey

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1215

Dettori & Moore are well superior to Carson, Eddery and Mercer for me.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 389

i think fallon and dettori get a lot of undeserving stick on here off people, especially fallon with his bans etc. still doesn’t take none of their ability away though.

dettori is very good, but fallon for me is in the top 3 since l.piggott. that is of course based on skill, not winners.

i think it is way too early too judge jockeys like moore, barzelona etc as legends at the moment, but would definitly say moore is best of the young jockeys at the moment.

another jockey who rarely gets a mention is j.murtagh, who i think is a bit of a wasted talent as well at the moment.

i always try and back the horse before noticing the jockey anyway.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

To the non Eddery raters on this thread, a question.
    How do you explain his record i.e. the facts guys, not mere opinion ?
    Look at his record in major races, the number of champion jockey titles, Royal Ascot record, record in foreign races, number of career wins.
    The fact that trainers who obviously know nothing employed his services e.g. O’Brien, Cecil, Stoute, Tree, Walwyn, Harwood etc etc.
    They must have got it all wrong, and you guys must be right.
    I think not !

okjoe57okjoe57
    Participant
    • Total Posts 189

Superstars may be a dying breed .. look at racing, snooker, politics, athletics, music.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1215

Look at his record in major races, the number of champion jockey titles, Royal Ascot record, record in foreign races, number of career wins.
    The fact that trainers who obviously know nothing employed his services e.g. O’Brien, Cecil, Stoute, Tree, Walwyn, Harwood etc etc.
    They must have got it all wrong, and you guys must be right.
    I think not !

Coggy, why’s it okay for you to knock todays jockeys but not okay for others to knock your personal favs from the past.
    Maybe you should look at Frankie’s record now and maybe Ryan Moore’s in 20 years time.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Hi Eddie
    I am not meaning to knock todays jockeys, merely to highlight that there doesnt seem to be one around at the moment who challenges for the title whilst being widely in demand to be snapped up for mounts in the big races.
    Dettoris career record in no way is comparable to Pat Edderys my friend.
    I take your point that Moore in time may get in the same arena though

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

Pat Eddery was by no stretch of the imagination just another ‘average’ jockey, and he rode innumerable ‘good’ races – for which more often than not read ‘correct’ – but for one who as you point out got atop so many good horses, had so many winners over a long career and rode for a coterie of top trainers and owners, he did in my opinion ride a goodly number of ill-judged races; substantially more than the other names mentioned by you, and with whom he tends to be compared in general: and it’s that which irks

Compared to most other ‘top jockeys’, specifically the ones you mention, he owes a greater debt of gratitude to the top horses he rode for being lauded as such than do they

Just a personal prejudice, but amongst my generation of punters not, I think, a lone one

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.