The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What is happening with Bryony Frost ?

Home Forums Horse Racing What is happening with Bryony Frost ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1227

As far as I can see she has only had one winner in over a month. Now it appears that she won’t ride even the stable second string in the King George. At one time she seemed to be absolutely flying , however the wheels seem to have come off subsequently. Does anyone know what is going on ?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7815

I was thinking that myself. Is she still riding for PN? Have noticed her having plenty of rides at the smaller tracks for various trainers.

DiamondGeezerDiamondGeezer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 474

She had three rides for Nicholls at Aintree last weekend. Local tv channel had a feature with her at Nicholl’s yard midweek.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1333

Don’t think she was ever in the running to pick up the stable second string in the KG – her two stalwart rides in Frodon & Black Corton have not (yet) performed to the same level as they did last year either.

This year it was always going to be difficult for her to maintain or exceed the heights she reached last year but there is still a lot of racing to come and it will only take a few higher profile winners to vault her back into the public’s consciousness.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2868

I think she needs a new “Bryony horse”. She initially got the ride on Black Corton as they thought he was OK as a fun horse to win a few summer races but not really a graded horse.

Frodon had a good 4/5 yo season then started to struggle a little at the start of his 5/6yo season getting beaten in an intermediate chase (by Bryony on Black Corton), a listed chase and a grade 2, so they reverted to chase handicaps with Bryony claiming 5lb and the rest is history. Same with Present Man – they stuck her on to claim 5 and not balls him up over a fence- and he won the prep race for his main target the Badger Ales and the race itself, and she kept the ride to win it again.

I don’t think she is viewed as the stable’s #2 in the same way that Paul Townend was #2 at Closutton and would step onto nearly all the graded horses if Walsh was broken, bar the JP/M+S horses. Maybe she would now if they had 2 new horses in graded races, or Cobden was temporarily out of action, but probably only on new horses not on anything that had been predominantly ridden by STD or Bowen in its novice chase year, or its hurdle year if it had been graded class.

If Cobden left (not that he would I don’t think, but just suppose he did) would she be promoted to permanent #1 stable jockey and have first refusal of all the potential grade 1 novice hurdlers upwards? :scratch: I don’t know.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.