The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

what goes around comes around…but does it really??

Home Forums General Sports what goes around comes around…but does it really??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

I was wondering if anyone had ever done or heard of anyone doing any research into luck for teams in football and the effect of the ref on games? Watching football always seems to end in discussions about who got the most unfair/beneifcial/right/wrong decisions by the ref. So, does what comes around go around and does it all even itself up in the end, or is there an incredibly unlucky/lucky team about?!

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I’m not aware of any such research with regards to "luck", but I suspect there may have been some on Refs. e.g. how few penalties are awarded agianst Man Utd. at Old Trafford.
    Luck might be very hard to define when it comes to statistical analysis. For instance is a player whose shot hits the bar "unlucky" or just inaccurate?
    How do you judge "luck" with regards to injuries and squad selection?
    When a goal is ruled out through offside but it’s very, very close, whose side do you take when incorporating it into your stats? Ditto penalty decisions – how often do we hear pundits with all the benefit of slo-mo replays still disagreeing as to whether it was a penalty or not / offside or not?
    The only really unlucky team in the League is Chester City, whilst the luckiest, spawniest and jammiest of the lot is Wrexham.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I agree with Insomniac, you first need to define ‘luck’. The Man Utd point is a good one, since many referees appear to be intimidated. Not that I feel sorry for them. If Jim could fix it for me, I would ask to be the referee at an important Premier League game at Old Trafford. The first hint of an expletive in my direction: yellow card. Foul in the Utd box – penalty. Whinging Portugese, Welsh, ginger or otherwise red-shirted yobs within earshot earn a yellow card. And none of this running away backwards in the face of protests. I would stand my ground and if even so much as a single hair from Rooney’s forehead lands on my person, I’ll send him off, along with any other screaming, peanut-brained neanderthal who dared to open his gob in my presence. Ah if only……

Anyway, good points Insomniac and well done for once again jogging my memory. I always struggle to name the ninety-second league club but thanks to your regular prompts I will never be in danger of forgetting that yes, Chester are indeed a proper team and are even in the actual professional league. We live in strange times.

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

i see your point where luck is concerned….rather difficult to determine and probably the quickest way to reactivate the arguement we were trying to get away from!

Still, in my wandering I did find this quite interesting article which seems to back up the Utd theroy quite well!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6629397.stm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.