The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What are you watching?

Home Forums Lounge What are you watching?

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 247 total)
  • Author
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5889

"Das Boot" is on Film4 again tonight.

Well worth a marathon-watch if you have never seen it before.

Regards
    :cool:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7856

Anyone watching Peaky Blinders? They’re going to Cheltenham next week!

Mr. Pilsen
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

Watched the first 10 minutes last week and decided it’s not for me.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5141

Anyone watching Peaky Blinders? They’re going to Cheltenham next week!

Such bleak, gritty realism would be a turn-off had it been set in today’s world but as it’s period for some reason I’m enjoying it. Gangstas did dress very well in those days; infact I’m contemplating getting a short-back-and-sides, a collarless shirt, silk scarf and pocket watch. I already have a fine collection of flat caps, though without the optional razor blades

It’s well cast and well filmed with the sepia-hued backdrops and Nick Cave’s doomy music just emphasising the desperation of this post WW1 country: there’s nothing rose-tintedly romantic about these chaps and their city

And how nice to hear references to BSA (Birmingham Small Arms ) though I was always a Triumph man

Love to know where the pub is they filmed in: those tiled walls and ornate columns are, as they would say today, to die for

I’m sure a certain Mr Woolf is watching it and believes bookmakers operate in the same manner today :)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7856

As a Brummie girl who lived by ‘the cut’ and took the bet money to the illegal bookies up the road I’m loving every minute of it. It was filmed in the Black Country Museum and Yorkshire [Yorkshire?] I believe. Although I don’t know why there’s all this talk of Kempton Park; what was wrong with Birmingham Racetrack? The music is so right for the series as well; as soon as I heard Nick Cave at the beginning I was hooked. Birmingham had a lot of links with the gypsies; a group of them lived in a place called Black Patch Park not far from where I lived.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5889

According to "IMDB" these are the filming locations for the show:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2442560/loc … _=tt_dt_dt

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7856

I’m hoping to spend a lot of time in Brum soon. Funny that, when I was 17 I couldn’t wait to leave the place but now I’m retiring I feel myself being drawn back to it. Me roots and all that.

BlueDuster
    • Total Posts 4

Breaking Bad – The final one to be aired over the weekend.
    Weeds – first 5 seasons were awesome, tailed off after that.

Caitlyn
    • Total Posts 6

I have so many favourites
    – mad men
    – game of thrones
    – prison break
    – the following
    – lost

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5472

Just finished watching the last ever episode of Breaking Bad minutes ago. It is without a shadow of a doubt the best programme I’ve ever watched. Phenomenal.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7856

Think I’ll have to buy the box set of that one. Just watched that new comedy ‘The Ginge, the Geordie and the Geek’ and found it really funny.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5472

Anybody watch Sons Of Anarchy? Looking for something new to watch with Breaking Bad and Friday Night Lights out of the way. Wathed the first two episodes of Under The Dome but not sure it’s for me. I’ll give it another two episodes before I decide whether to stick with it.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7856

I’m watching The Runaway repeat on Pick TV [cause Jack O’Connell is a local lad and a patron of our cinema]. Don’t know why I missed it first time round.

Baynet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 69

Don’t think anyone’s mentioned love/hate yet …very much under the radar on Irish tv RTE currently screening season 4 …previous seasons were on channel 5 over here, yes I know not the usual place to find good tv :lol:

As a fan of the wire, sopranos, breaking bad …I’m loving this excellent gritty drama, tight script great story lines and acting.

Mr. Pilsen
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

I’m pretty well addicted to ‘Pointless’ though don’t like the lanky guy, Richard – Alexander Armstrong is a good host. Not so sure about that new Saturday show he does with that Willis bint, could only bear to watch 5 minutes of that.

Later Live with Jools Holland is of course unmissable.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 247 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.