The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What an enjoyable day’s National Hunt racing

Home Forums Horse Racing What an enjoyable day’s National Hunt racing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Partly because of the hiatus in the NH programme and partly because I had one of those rare afternoons where I didn’t let being climbed over by my children prevent me from watching a few races, I thoroughly enjoyed the day’s racing today.

I almost hesitate to mention the ‘W’ issue but one aspect that made watching the gruelling races at Haydock more pleasurable was the fact that the more limited use of the whip meant there was no hint of horses being asked for more effort than was reasonable. In particular, I thought Denis O’Regan’s ride on Giles Cross (did he use the whip at all?) was a copybook example of how to get a really good tune out of a horse without resorting to the ‘persuader’.

Gazs Way De SolzenGazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2441

Agree Tuffers.

Really good day’s racing.

Like yourself, i really enjoyed Denis O’Regan’s ride on Giles Cross. The side-on replay was brilliant, as it showed how cool, calm and composed O’Regan was, even when his mount was headed in the closing stages of the race, yet he knew exactly what he had under him, didnt panic, and just used his racing brain and the horse’s ability and reserves, to win the race.

A great day’s racing, which was thoroughly enjoyable.

Great run from Smad Place at Ascot too under top weight.

ZarkavaZarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4708

Year after year this day ends up being one of the most enjoyable betting days I have. Just a superb array of talent and races.

MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2732

Was brilliant today. Doesn’t happen often enough
    What’s more, there’s some desert tomorrow with a few meetings on

Also, Tizzard’s five winners in an hour must be close to a record ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.