The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What A Load Of Cobblers. Football Season 1

Home Forums General Sports What A Load Of Cobblers. Football Season 1

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

It aint easy, I have run the line for a local village team, one cant please anyone. Players, spectators, even the referee has over ruled me. I was right, but one cant argue with them. That man in black…well enough said. They have their own agenda. :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

Radcliffe’s second goal was a marginal offside call. One of those where if it is your team it is onside but if it is the other team it is definitely offside. There had been one or two iffy decisions before that but that decision really turned the crowd against the linesman. To be fair, I can forgive him that one even though it caused a goal. It was marginal.

But he clearly got a few decisions wrong on fouls, the ball being out of play and on which team should have a throw in. It didn’t help he was on the side of the pitch where the benches are located and one or two of the decisions were made right in front of Jim Bentley.

I assume the managers have to give feedback on the officials. If so, I don’t think he can expect a very good report…

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Too true CAS, a report has to be submitted by managers for every game.
    You have a good manager in Jim Bentley, I like what you said how he sent the team out early for the second half :good:
    I didnt check the Southport FA Cup draw, Brackley got Turo City away..ffs..longer trip than any game in NLN.

Banbury Utd away to Melksham Town, never heard of them before.

But its the next step to getting in round one.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

I like Jim as well. He is always honest after the match on the club’s YouTube channel.

I think most of the fans are backing him. He clearly knows what he is doing at this level. The team just needs a bit more quality on the pitch and more investment – like a lot of clubs in the league.

Hyde United in the Cup, at home next week. I think I will be watching the St Leger instead.

Yes, Truro is about as bad as it gets for an away trip!

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

Late to the party here but enjoyed catching up. Used to follow Abingdon Town in the old Hellenic/Isthmian leagues and so a vague working knowledge of Oxon/Northants football. Brackley were absolutely useless for a while in the late 1980s-early 1990s, shipping hundreds of goals a season. Obviously something has changed there now! Delighted to see the cormorants at Oxford City making a slow start to the season. Long may it continue.

I have rather lost interest since moving to the south west. I did experiment with sniffing gas for a while, but never really took to it.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Thanks Kifill, Id stay off the Gas also, bloody cider drinkers there.

My Step Brother played for Oxford City in the FA Vase final, and played a number of years at Abington Town after.
    Oxford City beat the Cobblers in the FA Cup a few years back on the plastic turf.
    The Brackley Town side in the 80’s and early 90’s were crap, a few friends played for them in those days, I think it was if you had a pair of boots and were in the pub at 1pm on a Saturday, you were in the team. Since then, a sugar daddy has been paying a fair amount into the club to get them into the NPL. Thats with players and ground improvements, but Banbury tend to have the better home support in numbers.

Feel free to add any thoughts or observations, and thanks for posting, I like the non league, its real football. :good:

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

10 Sept, Tuesday Southern League Central.
    A couple of matches last night, resulted in Alvechurch joining the party with 13 points at the top for 6 teams, although having played 7 games.
    Tonight Banbury United welcome Halesowen at the bog, some rain locally means that the pitch will be heavy, those with the biggest feet will adapt the best. Halesowen are just behind the leaders on 11 points and have in recent weeks have lost to Redditch United 3-2 in the FA Cup and drawn with them 2-2 in the league. At 12/5 for the away win seems a decent price, so 2.5@ 2.4/1 is the bet.

Ongoing 20.08+

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Thanks to a deflected shot by Halesowen in the 81st minute, the bet returned 8.5.

Ongoing 28.58+

Friday KSV 1919 at home to SC Austria Lustenau, KSV unbeaten so far priced at 19/10 and Lustenau 21/20, with the draw at 12/5.
    Lustenau’s season is strange so far, one win and four draws. Goals for 5 and against 4. Where as KSV have scored 10 with 3 against.
    KSV1919 to win seems a good price 19/10, so 3 @1.9. They owe me nothing at present.

Ongoing 25.58+

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Bubble burst with KSV1919 going down 0-2 yesterday.

Todays 12:30 K/0
    Cobblers home win 4-1 1.58 @ 66/1
    Cobblers straight win 5 @2/1

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Its all crap..now +19

Tonight FA Cup replay Banbury United v Melksham Town home win 15@4/6, fiesty game Saturday, see no change tonight.
    Melksham unbeaten..bugger..

+4 remaining

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Melksham Town won 3-2..another stupid bet..
    Cracking free kick by the Melksham lad, to make it 1-2.
    Banbury, probably should have had a penalty or 2…as CAS said up thread non league refs..hmm

Glad to see KSV1919 won again tonight, unfortunately the traffic from Heathrow deprived me of betting on the match.

Cobbs away at the Terriers Saturday, will pop a bet up in the morning..with Brackley and Banbury.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Huddersfield V Northampton.
    The Terriers in fine form, one of the toughest away matches for the cobblers.
    Terriers to win 4-0 2@14/1

Brackley V Marine AFC,
    Fine win for Brackley at Turo last week, Marine in the relegation zone.
    Brackley to win 3-1 2@14/1

Tempted to follow Nathan with a double correct score, but not today.
    0 Ongoing.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Well Im absolutely astonished at last weeks result for the Cobbs, never expected that at all.
    Nice first goal if one watches the highlights..Proper pressing.
    Happy though that 3pts I would not have expected this season and the top half finish may be on, so added 10@6/1 with Sky.

Season bets
    5@ 5/1
    10@ 6/1
    Cobbs to finish top half.

– 10 now.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Just to keep things clean and in separate posts and due to travelling tomorrow.

Friday Bet
    KSV 1919 V FC Liefering, again KSV at home and second in the table, Liefering are 12th, at 7/4 home win looks outstanding.
    4 @ 7/4

Saturday,
    Cobbs home to Mansfield, we have history with these and after last weeks super win at the Terriers Ill go for 3 Bets.
    Home win 5@ 9/5
    Correct score 2.5 @ 4-1 @ 50/1
    Tyler Roberts to score first 2 @17/2.

Dark Horse bet..
    Been working in a small Norwegian town called Sarpsbourg this last week, Saturday they are home to Fredrickstad. I noticed this when I saw match day programs on the restaurant tables yesterday. So, a little look at the form and Id suspect the away team to win as they were promoted last season now are higher in the table, scoring an average of 2 per match.
    So correct score of 1-2 to Fredrickstad 2 @9/1
    Edit to add.. Sorry I forgot to say..this match is a local derby 8Km..so could be spicy.

Well thats got to

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

One of my favourite football weekends this week – Scottish Cup first round. The pyramid in Scotland is still very much a work in progress and a lot of teams there haven’t yet found their true level, so a few years ago you could turn a profit at this stage in the tournament by just backing the team in the lower division. Things are slowly settling and the betting markets are wising up, but there are a few games where the odds look out of line (odds from https://mcbookie.com/sport/football).

Albion Rovers v Auchinleck Talbot, home win 21/10. Talbot are to Scottish football what Yeovil Town used to be to English non-league football, but this season haven’t been the most consistent, and with home advantage Rovers look a decent price to me.

Berwick Rangers v Cupar Hearts, away win (no odds available, would take 4/1). Cupar qualified by winning the Amateur Cup and are decent. Berwick started the season brightly but have lost the plot, and look vulnerable to an upset.

Burntisland Shipyard v Irvine Meadow, home win 33/10. Meadow are a big name in Scottish non-league football but are in a bad way. Shippy are one of the smaller sides in the tournament, but are in good form and look to have a decent chance of winning this.

East Stirlingshire v Lochee United, away win 13/8. Shire are bottom of the Lowland League – Lochee, a big fish in a small pond at present, will be top half of the Highland League in a couple of years.

(edit – well that could have turned out better)

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Kifill, Other than Berwick, Albion and East Stirling, Im lost.
    I remember, having a Subbutito Berwick team, as me school mate had Motherwell.
    Itll get better Im sure Keep the faith.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Friday, Saturday.. musings..
    KSV1919, played well, Liefering, looked good and I forgot, they are another Red Bull franchise..

Cobblers, well ..it could have been..missed penalty, and The Stags goalkeeper was MOM..
    At least Fredrickstad won, although not 1-2..

We move on, its fun..

Cobbs V Bolton Wonderers Oct 1st..

Brackley Town after their win in the FA Cup against Ramsgate (4-1) :-(
    Have drawn the Monkey Hangers away in the 4th qualifying round in the FA Cup.
    Its amazing that they had to play Turo City and now Hartlepool ..

Great to see Taunton are still in, maybe they will make the first round proper.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.